Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As people tow with these, especially when getting near the max tow, keep an eye on the water temp on long grades. The 2.7 shouldn’t have much of an issue as it’s oversized for the tow capacity but the 2.3 might see some issues.

When the ecoboost motors run, they like to shift up to still keep fuel Econ’s, even in a tow/haul mode. What this leads to, when pulling a large grade, is lots of boost being pushed and the water pump not turning very fast. The turbos are water cooled so the extra boost means extra heat.

It may not even be an issue with the Bronco’s but I know my 2nd gen 3.5EB in my F150 will run warm on big grades. I’ll lock out 8/9/10 to keep out of the overdrive gears and keep the RPM’s spinning when towing. Long grades or trying to pull hard acceleration on grade will warm it up too. I’ve never went into limp mode (251 water temp I believe) but I’ve seen 241 several times. The motors have the power but not the cooling for high boost, low coolant movement.

I’m curious to see how the bronco’s fair when towing and water temps.
I would think that there would be some info on this in the Ranger forums for the 2.3. Did you try manual mode on your F-150?
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As people tow with these, especially when getting near the max tow, keep an eye on the water temp on long grades. The 2.7 shouldn’t have much of an issue as it’s oversized for the tow capacity but the 2.3 might see some issues.

When the ecoboost motors run, they like to shift up to still keep fuel Econ’s, even in a tow/haul mode. What this leads to, when pulling a large grade, is lots of boost being pushed and the water pump not turning very fast. The turbos are water cooled so the extra boost means extra heat.

It may not even be an issue with the Bronco’s but I know my 2nd gen 3.5EB in my F150 will run warm on big grades. I’ll lock out 8/9/10 to keep out of the overdrive gears and keep the RPM’s spinning when towing. Long grades or trying to pull hard acceleration on grade will warm it up too. I’ve never went into limp mode (251 water temp I believe) but I’ve seen 241 several times. The motors have the power but not the cooling for high boost, low coolant movement.

I hoping the Bronco is able to 'lock out' gears like the F's, but from what I'm seeing on the forum I don't think it does.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would think that there would be some info on this in the Ranger forums for the 2.3. Did you try manual mode on your F-150?
By manual mode, I’m assuming you mean locking out gears and/or shifting with the buttons? Yeah. I’ll lock out the top three (8/9/10) and run in 7 which is 1:1. If I see it gaining temp on long grades, I’ll force it down a few gears to run between 3500 and 4500 RPM to get out of so much boost and spin the water pump faster.

I never noticed it much when I was towing a 4500lb RV but when we got a bigger RV and I tow around 8500-9000 I see it for sure. Granted, that’s getting to 3/4-ton territory but the 3.5EB has the power, just not the heat dissipation when one is not prepared for it.

It’s definitely the water and not the intercooler. Intercooler runs 10-12 degrees above ambient. Motor cools right down when not pulling the grade.

It’s a relatively common issue when pulling heavy, on grades, with the 3.5EB motor. I’m sure the other EB motors have similar reactions as the turbos are all water cooled. Maybe the 2.3 is less of an issue with only one turbo developing heat.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is good advise when towing anything with anything.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is good advise when towing anything with anything.
Good point. The turbos are the key though. A straight gasser won’t really see the specific heat generation like these motors do. If someone could make a tow tune for these to run like the V10’s did, it would solve itself. Those V10’s would shift down and rev to the moon when they saw a 5mph breeze ;).

Sponsored

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll be towing around ~2800 with a Badlands 2.3 manual.

Anyone have any manual-specific towing tips or tricks?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don’t expect this will be a problem for the Bronco—at least the engine—as it clearly is suspension, not engine constrained. This based on both the Ranger with the 2.3, the F150 with the 2.7, and the Explorer with both 2.3 and 2.7 and then 10R60 towing more (5300 and above).

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2021_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

OP
OP
Kaopeterson

Kaopeterson

Badlands
First Name
Robert Peterson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep had the gauges on in the dash as I was driving. Was a little higher than normal driving, ~20 degrees but I only went 26 miles on a variety of roads. Doesn’t have tow haul mode so just had to manually shift down to keep it there but the transmission doesn’t have a way to reset to normal shifting, it just does it on it’s own. Maybe I’m missing something but I like to be able to switch back and forth from manual shifting for steep mountain downgrades

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those V10’s would shift down and rev to the moon when they saw a 5mph breeze ;).
Mine does this, part of the problem is the antiquated 4-speed 4R70W automatic and its gear spreads. Automatics cannot predict terrain and I fight 3rd gear kick-downs daily on large hills without anything in tow. Driving the length of I-65 with a 3500+ RV is a miserable experience with a 310 hp / 425 lb-ft torque V10. I don't want to know what it's like with either engines or transmissions in the Bronco with 1/3 less wheelbase and mass... Tow at your own peril. I tow often enough with the right equipment to know this is foolish.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That little thing weighs 2900 pounds!? I have a 20' R-pod that I have pared down to 3150 without water and propane onboard. Looks nice and level, do you know your tongue weight? I am assuming around 350 pounds. Looks like the Bronc rear suspension is taking it like a champ.
My patriot x1 weighs 3400lbs loaded (gear, food, 40gal water etc). Its all aluminum w/ exception of galvanized steel trailer frame.

Ford Bronco Tested out towing a 2900 lbs trailer with 2.7 Badlands w/ tow package E36874EA-786C-4E70-ABFB-44B661A0CD71

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mine does this, part of the problem is the antiquated 4-speed 4R70W automatic and its gear spreads. Automatics cannot predict terrain and I fight 3rd gear kick-downs daily on large hills without anything in tow. Driving the length of I-65 with a 3500+ RV is a miserable experience with a 310 hp / 425 lb-ft torque V10. I don't want to know what it's like with either engines or transmissions in the Bronco with 1/3 less wheelbase and mass... Tow at your own peril. I tow often enough with the right equipment to know this is foolish.
I had an RV with the 5 spd and now have one with the 6 spd. The 6 is much better, but I wish it had a way to hold 4 th (like the F series w/ the same trans). 4 th will do about any highway grade but I'm constantly trying to avoid that downshift to 3 rd.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'll be towing around ~2800 with a Badlands 2.3 manual.

Anyone have any manual-specific towing tips or tricks?
In my mind, nothing special but I micromanage an automatic vehicle when towing heavy.

For a manual, I would practice pulling the trailer before you head out on a long trip. Know how it reacts and how you will take off and stop. You'll be holding it in a given gear a bit longer than when you have no trailer when accelerating. Nothing wrong with that, but keep an eye on your temperature gage when pulling a grade or pulling heavy (or both). Back off your speed if it starts to rise.

For stopping, I might do one down shift in a manual but I let my service brakes (using your brake pedal) do most of the work. Easier to replace service brakes when they wear out versus your clutch. Some folks go overboard on downshifting to slow things down, which increases clutch wear even if you are super slick and good at rev-matching.

Know how the combo feels when you take off up hill. You have hill start assist. I assume that it works OK when you have a trailer attached. I'd still want to get a feel for it before a trip.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had an RV with the 5 spd and now have one with the 6 spd. The 6 is much better, but I wish it had a way to hold 4 th (like the F series w/ the same trans). 4 th will do about any highway grade but I'm constantly trying to avoid that downshift to 3 rd.
The trick is to carry 5-10 extra mph down the valley into the hill, if possible, but on long grades, just throw the blinkers and slow to 55 in preparation for the kick down to minimize wasting fuel. Once I learned how to "drive around" the transmissions shortcomings, I saw a 1.5 - 2 mpg increase. The F250s and F350s would easily tow well above their GVWR, but it wasn't enjoyable managing momentum to do it efficiently through mountainous areas. Flatland is super easy though.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to mention IAT2 temps. I added a Wagner CAC to my 3.5 eco because it was pulling timing due to excessive IAT2 temps while towing in west TX and NM's heat
Sponsored