Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How heavily modified is the Defender? It looks like they added the rock sliders, did the conversion for 18-inch wheels, and put a lift on. That's about $4600 extra, plus whatever tires you choose.
They did a ton of things to get it like that...watch the video and they explain it in different parts some of what was done, but it's a lot more than slapping a lift on to get that thing lifted.
Sponsored

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sliders, custom fabricated 4" lift before the air suspension can bump it up, wheels, sub frame lift, radiator relocation to fit the 35s, custom exhaust for sub frame lift, brake conversion kit to fit 18s.

Point is the LR was never intended to be lifted or fit 35s, and it's not easy to lift and retain a car with air suspension.

Full break down is here. They said 14-15K installed, 100-105K out the door from the dealer.
watch the video. They said it had 20K in it.
They did a ton of things to get it like that...watch the video and they explain it in different parts some of what was done, but it's a lot more than slapping a lift on to get that thing lifted.
Gotcha - I watched some of the video but I'm at work and no speakers in my present location, so I missed out on some of the details. It had looked like all they did was the sliders, wheels, and smaller lift than it actually was. I've considered swapping to 18's and mounting 33's when I get mine, but I wouldn't shell out that much since I don't plan to rock crawl. Sort of how the Badlands I had ordered was overkill for me with the swaybar disconnect, but there was no other way to get the black leather interior and I didn't like the others.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A lot of people complaining about this not being apples to apples, TFL didn't build or buy the other rigs, that's what was available, that's what was going wheeling, and Tommy tagged along for the video. Not a lot to complain about other than how much effort it takes just to get 35's on a Defender just to have it still barely keep up with a stock Bronco.

Also, just to make sure the Bronco fans don't get the wrong idea, there is no way in hell that Bronco is following such a heavily modified Wrangler if they really pushed it to its limits. That said, give me 20+ grand (and just as much in my own labor sweat and tears and I'll make it happen).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Number one reason: it's just fun.
But also, you're not going to be out wheeling with people in identical rigs. Some will be more capable and some less. This is what it's like in a group on the trails. Part of being a good, experienced wheelman is watching a better rig do something and not being "ego'd" into it yourself. Tommy did the right thing by skipping the V-notch and it's a great lesson to all who'd venture into the wild - know when to say 'pass'
Yep, no shame in playing the Bypass Bob card. :cool:

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For some reason I really want to watch Rudy now...

• Haha
Reactions: Dom

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice. Have done that trail and many others all around Colorado when I used to live in a neighboring state. Nice comparo video.

smhenry

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really enjoyed the video. Thanks for posting. Reminds me why I want to live in the Colorado Rockies someday.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what's next TFL, Bronco vs M1 Abrams?
Bronco vs. Unimog please.

This was a pretty good video. That Defender was pretty sweet, but the Bronco kicked ass!

Sponsored

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yep, no shame in playing the Bypass Bob card. :cool:
Something that has always stuck with me: In an interview after this crash Travis said "I knew that corner was going to be beyond my skill level". In the vid you hear him curse before he even turned into the corner...he knew he couldn't make it, but still tried...
He might have been better off overshooting into the field...but when you have a split second to make that decision armchair quarterbacking isn't fair to him.

Point is -unless it's your job to push the limits, don't put yourself in that position

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Excellent video. It's not about fair...it's about 3 very different vehicles going off-road and showing the various capabilities. I loved it.

If you love off-roading, you can love and appreciate all different rides and their mods. Go out on some tough trails and you will see how different each vehicle is set up. It's obvious how much fun they all had. I too would have had a blast out there!

Well done TFL!
100% agree with this. Some of you think this is a competition. That’s not the point. It’s about different rigs, set up in different ways, and therefore having different capabilities. I thought the Bronco really shined in this video and showed significant “out of the box” wheeling ability. The Defender and Jeep were awesome with the specialized mods. All are very worthwhile and capable vehicles. I’m a bit old fashioned and so I thought the rumble of the Jeep coming out of the V-notch was the best! Great video.