Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a subjective question dependent upon where you live. For example, someone in Texas, Louisiana, Florida etc have spent lots of time without power. Hurricane season is a real thing. Parts of Florida are without power right now and will be for probably a week or more. Houston, Texas has gone through it numerous times, Lake Charles/New Orleans LA area...the list goes on and on...and many of those people can't "drive 30 minutes to a parents house who has power". So it's certainly a very subjective question and situation and what works for you may or may not work for everyone. Glad you've never had to experience 2+ weeks with no power and hot water.
You're probably not getting gas in those situations either.

With some pre-planning you'd really probably be in about the same situation except you can't power much with a normal truck. At least you could keep your fridge running for several days, cook some food with the microwave,... with a Lightning.

It's not like you have zero options. If I lived in hurricane effected areas I would probably have a generator (which you could use to charge an EV).

In any situation where I would buy an EV I would also get solar panels for my house. An on-grid solar system is much cheaper than an off grid system and the addition of an EV to an on-grid system basically makes it an off-grid system.
Sponsored

OP
OP
5.0Maverick

5.0Maverick

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 maverick.
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am liking all the feedback. Thank you for all the perspective. This board is full of good people.

Reactions: abe

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They don't have a jealous button. HA! I've had a few dealerships offer me Lariats in the $75-80k range but I just want a Pro. I'm willing to go mid 50s for it but don't want to go any higher than that.

Of all the Fords I could get - that Lightning Pro tops the list (with the tow package)
I agree. I got the Pro, Max Tow and Tow Tech. Can't believe the amount of truck you get for $40k. (all in after tax rebate)

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

"To appreciate how much electrical power the Lightning can provide, consider that even the standard-range version has a usable battery capacity of 98.0 kilowatt-hours, more than seven Tesla Powerwalls—a well-regarded home battery, The Powerwalls cost $10,500 each, while a base Lightning costs only $41,769—43% less than seven Tesla batteries—plus you get a truck for free. And the extended-range battery holds about 30 percent more electrical energy. The Lightning can pump as much as 9.6 kilowatts into your home, which is enough to power everything you’ll need during a power failure, except possibly your air conditioning system. After all, the typical house uses about 1.3 kW on average, while modern, low energy homes use quite a bit less."

Can Your EV Power Your House? (caranddriver.com)
TFL literally just made an Instagram post about this

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The ONLY LOGICAL REASON to not go EV right now over ICE (in comparible applications) is range and maybe cost a tiny bit.

I don't care about your political views or personal hang-ups, EVs ARE the future, better get used to it. I full well knew that my Bronco would be the very last ICE vehicle I purchased.

It would be a pass for me to trade in my Bronco for an Lightning right now because I love to offroad. I am counting the seconds until they release an EV Bronco (not some EV Sport bs, a true Bronco in EV form). Think of what rock crawling could be with independent wheel control, instant torque, and no drive train.

Sponsored

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The ONLY LOGICAL REASON to not go EV right now over ICE (in comparible applications) is range and maybe cost a tiny bit.

I don't care about your political views or personal hang-ups, EVs ARE the future, better get used to it. I full well knew that my Bronco would be the very last ICE vehicle I purchased.

It would be a pass for me to trade in my Bronco for an Lightning right now because I love to offroad. I am counting the seconds until they release an EV Bronco (not some EV Sport bs, a true Bronco in EV form). Think of what rock crawling could be with independent wheel control, instant torque, and no drive train.
I don't agree, not with the current battery design, and storage capacity. And unless they start a major build of new charging stations, and a complete upgrade in the national electrical grid there's going to be a huge lag in widespread use of the EV platform.

Last edited:

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How do I say this nicely.

These post la are so ridiculous.

Are a bunch of people in a forum really going to sway what you want to do?

Dude you sound like you are over the Bronco so go get your Lightning.

or don’t.

See it’s an easy choice.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Conversely, you may have trouble keeping it charged.
You have to give serious thoughts about the advantages (such as they are) of EV over ICE. Unless you have a free charge port (say, at work) and plan to charge at home, the mileage savings are not substantial. Also--do you really buy into the "global warming" thesis? I myself am a big-time skeptic. It will be cheaper in 10-15 years to replace an ICE engine as opposed to an EV battery. If you're doing it for environmental reasons, your old ICE can be recycled; we don't know, yet, about those batteries.
Can you imagine fleeing 300+ miles from a natural catastrophe (forest fires, hurricane) in an EV? Scary!
Few people have ever had to to flee 300+ miles from a natural disaster. Even with hurricane Ian, traveling 50 miles to the East would have kept folks safe. There were a lot of gas stations that ran out of gas before Ian so if you were low on fuel you'd be SOL. https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/gas-stations-run-dry-as-people-rush-to-fill-up-before-ian-hits.
There are already several companies working on Lithium batter recycling and these are the early days.

Finally, every oil company has stated climate change is real and they even admit on their websites
https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/sustainability/getting-to-net-zero.html
https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/sustainability/environmental-protection/climate-change
https://www.shell.com/energy-and-in...ml#iframe=L3dlYmFwcHMvY2xpbWF0ZV9hbWJpdGlvbi8

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

EVs are a gap stop. Not sustainable, not practical for many use cases and will be the boondoggle of this century.

Hydrogen is our best bet, they have to figure out how to efficiently extract hydrogen for the fuel cells, but no way on Earth will batteries be the answer everyone is claiming they will be.
Not sustainable, limit resources, and the electrical infrastructure can't support it but yea let Elon lead the way to our doom.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Backstory. I reserved a bronco and a lightning. I live in suburbs. Got my bronco muddy exactly one time. Struggled loading stuff in the back at Home Depot several times. I absolutely love the bronco and driving stickshift. Long story short, my lightning pro ticket got called with first year price protection. It’s due to be delivered by the end of next summer, so I have some time to think it over. Help! Lol
I live in the burbs and I had an hour one lightning reservation but I pop into the city enough to see that it would be a pain. I saw a couple of full size pickups, in small parking and I cancelled my reservation a few days later. I don't need the bed often and, like others have mentioned, I rent a truck from Home Depot when I do need a bed.

The Bronco is fun vehicle. Like a big toy. If you need a real work truck it won't suit your needs

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Backstory. I reserved a bronco and a lightning. I live in suburbs. Got my bronco muddy exactly one time. Struggled loading stuff in the back at Home Depot several times. I absolutely love the bronco and driving stickshift. Long story short, my lightning pro ticket got called with first year price protection. It’s due to be delivered by the end of next summer, so I have some time to think it over. Help! Lol
Nonsense. Neither of these vehicles are closely related. Choosing between an f250 and f350 may take thinking. These vehicles are not closely related. How do we help you decide what you use your vehicles for.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How many times have you been without power for several days in a row?
Too many to count, which caused me to buy & wire up a generator to the house a few years back when we were out for 4 days. After a number other multi-day events :mad:. We constantly have PSPS (Public Safety Power Shutdowns). They turn the power off every time the wind blows because SCE got sued for a wildfire. :sneaky: When the neighborhood goes dark, I still have yard lights running now.
YMMV

Edit 10-5-22: Power just went out again last night. :sneaky:

Last edited:

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Same for me... Bronco is *likely* last ICE vehicle I purchase (new).

hsun85

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Off Road Premium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just dont get the Hummer EV

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Few people have ever had to to flee 300+ miles from a natural disaster. Even with hurricane Ian, traveling 50 miles to the East would have kept folks safe. There were a lot of gas stations that ran out of gas before Ian so if you were low on fuel you'd be SOL. https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/gas-stations-run-dry-as-people-rush-to-fill-up-before-ian-hits.
There are already several companies working on Lithium batter recycling and these are the early days.

Finally, every oil company has stated climate change is real and they even admit on their websites
https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/sustainability/getting-to-net-zero.html
https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/sustainability/environmental-protection/climate-change
https://www.shell.com/energy-and-in...ml#iframe=L3dlYmFwcHMvY2xpbWF0ZV9hbWJpdGlvbi8
Motels from Tallahassee to Tennessee were packed with Ian's refugees. The supply of retail gasoline was hit hard, but not depleted. And we're seeing more and more of corporate America cave in to the ESG agenda. Any company--especially an energy company--that dares to question the "global warming" hypothesis (I'm being polite--the Admins are sensitive here) would face a political and public relations storm of typhoon proportions.
"Green energy" has become the holy grail of the Davos nomenklatura and the "expert class" (the apparatchiks) that serve them, that is, a political agenda with religious zeal.

You've said your piece; and I, mine. Best to drop this subject lest we get banned. All that said, I appreciate we're neighbors of sort and commend you on your carbonized gray Badlands--good choice!
Sponsored