First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dang! And I've got a Bur Oak next to my driveway/garage. Those are golf ball sized acorns. No sitting out now.
Sponsored

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What happens next acorn season?

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve never had this problem before with other vehicles in my driveway and imagine the bronco hood is much thinner/cheaper gauge metal. Regardless here I am. I spent a pretty penny removing a portion of the oak tree but now need to deal with the hood.
What happens next acorn season?

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a similar issue. Squirrels throwing walnuts out of a tree while camping and one dented my hood. PDR took 5 mins and I was charged $60. No PPF does not help for something like this.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Missed the tree removal part

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Missed the tree removal part
The irony is that many don't remember that he removed his garage to build a stone patio with a brick pizza oven. Now, his garage at the time likely wouldn't have been able to accommodate the Bronco. But investing in improving the garage instead of demo would have avoided this incident with the dented hood.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The irony is that many don't remember that he removed his garage to build a stone patio with a brick pizza oven. Now, his garage at the time likely wouldn't have been able to accommodate the Bronco. But investing in improving the garage instead of demo would have avoided this incident with the dented hood.
Ha. good memory. I am so happy we ultimately decided to take down that structure. It was almost useless and difficult to navigate to rehabbed or not. The single file wrap around driveway to a defunct structure took up most of the backyard. Removing it unlocked my entire backyard. Even if we kept it, the Bronco would still be parked in the same location as it is now 95%+ of the time

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After physically taking it in, the feedback that I am getting is to just get a new hood. Quotes are pushing 1,000 and they are leery to do it, since its aluminum and never going to be perfect. Its more like 25 small dents.

So guess I'll be going the ADV route. Seeing it on sale for $1,050. OEM hood has got to be at least $700 and will still be prone to future dents (even though I think I've solved the root of the problem be taking down the oak tree canopy). ADV is stronger and fiberglass. Whether OEM or ADV both would need to be painted.

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After physically taking it in, the feedback that I am getting is to just get a new hood. Quotes are pushing 1,000 and they are leery to do it, since its aluminum and never going to be perfect. Its more like 25 small dents.

So guess I'll be going the ADV route. Seeing it on sale for $1,050. OEM hood has got to be at least $700 and will still be prone to future dents (even though I think I've solved the root of the problem be taking down the oak tree canopy). ADV is stronger and fiberglass. Whether OEM or ADV both would need to be painted.
That ADV hood is so sweet. I might find an acorn tree to park under this fall...

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That ADV hood is so sweet. I might find an acorn tree to park under this fall...
Easier sell to the wife for sure! Haha

• Haha
Reactions: Fly

Sponsored

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have about 15 dents across my hood from acorns falling from a high canopy above my driveway. The dents are only visible under the right angle and range from a dime to a quarter in size. Basically looks like light hail damage.

I’ve never had this problem before with other vehicles in my driveway and imagine the bronco hood is much thinner/cheaper gauge metal. Regardless here I am. I spent a pretty penny removing a portion of the oak tree but now need to deal with the hood.

I think my options are (I havent looked into it in detail)
1. Going through insurance. 500 deductible
2. PDR. No idea what to expect on cost. 500-2,000? There’s only one panel but 15 dents.
3. ADV aftermarket hood.Which I do like. It’s 1,250. I imagine the cost to paint in antimatter blue is a solid 500? No idea.

Any home remedies? Reading about a hair dryer and dry ice method.

Any opinions or guidance on cost here before I go down the rabbit hole?
its not thinner/cheaper, its aluminum. if you get it fixed, what have you done to keep it from happening again? i'd go the pdr route but not sure its possible with aluminum since it work hardens (gets more brittle the more it gets bent) The easy solution to keep from happening again is probably the fiberglass hood option.

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Go PDR, unless you really want the aftermarket hood. Out of pocket may be less than or a little above deductible, and no insurance claim.

I would agree with this. I think you can get it done fairly reasonably.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As noted above- they dont really want to do PDR on it. It's 25 dings across 1 panel, and will be very costly and not perfect since it's aluminum. They are steering me to just replace it.

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As noted above- they dont really want to do PDR on it. It's 25 dings across 1 panel, and will be very costly and not perfect since it's aluminum. They are steering me to just replace it.
Not sure who 'they' are who don't want to PDR. I'd find another PDR source. My PDR guy could do 25 dings in a day with breaks, maybe an hour or two of actually working it. I've watched the magic of a full hail damaged car with aluminum hood get made right. Aluminum is not that tough. It may not be perfect, mine would look perfect to me. I'm so happy with PDR from various issues over the last 30 years that I am 100% in favor. Without pictures, I expect this to be less than $1k, and maybe $500 - 650. I'd do this and get a garage, a blow up bubble cover, or park somewhere else. Acorns will dent steel, also. My Subaru roof had several roof dents from acorns while visiting a friend with Oak trees for an hour.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Maybe I should keep searching PDR.

Although, there's a designated area in my driveway where we always park 2 of our cars. Anywhere else would be pretty inconvenient. In 7 years of living here across 5 different vehicles always in the same area, I haven't noticed a single acorn ding, with the exception of Bronco aluminum hood panel that looks like it's been to war. That ADV fiberglass hood is making more and more sense to be honest.
Sponsored