Sponsored

took my first drive in the rain today... realized 2 things... theres no stalk on the right side of the wheel. and theres no single wipe option?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

the last of wiper stalk on the right side is actually infuriating from an ergonomics perspective. There's no intuitiveness to the left side stalk, because it's doing too much, and the lack of symmetry is just as great of an offense.

IMO, this is near perfection:

Ford Bronco took my first drive in the rain today... realized 2 things... theres no stalk on the right side of the wheel.  and theres no single wipe option? 1644694370994

I mentioned this in another thread a while back too, that it's very intentional to put the volume and stereo controls on the left side as well, as that's where that activity you do most (mess with the radio) is. And in a car that's a manual, one's left hand is always on the wheel.

Ford did better than most, but they still should've spent about 15% more time with the ergonomics people.
Sponsored

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has been hard for me to get use to as the last few cars I have owned have all been on the right (including my mustang).
Oh crap my current Mustang has the stock on the right too with a single wipe when pressed downward :/

OP
OP
Ares

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
the last of wiper stalk on the right side is actually infuriating from an ergonomics perspective. There's no intuitiveness to the left side stalk, because it's doing too much, and the lack of symmetry is just as great of an offense.

Ford Bronco took my first drive in the rain today... realized 2 things... theres no stalk on the right side of the wheel.  and theres no single wipe option? 1644694370994

I mentioned this in another thread a while back too, that it's very intentional to put the volume and stereo controls on the left side as well, as that's where that activity you do most (mess with the radio) is. And in a car that's a manual, one's left hand is always on the wheel.

Ford did better than most, but they still should've spent about 15% more time with the ergonomics people.
doubt it was lack of awareness. clearly they had a right stalk in the recent past. probably saved than $20 to move it all to the left side.

Sponsored

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base

This. I have a MK6 TDI Sportwagen that I bought on a whim from a friend to bridge the gap between Jeep and Bronco. I'd never owned a VW before. The intuitiveness of the stalk layouts are amazing - it's just simple and things are where you want them. The toggle for the cruise control is my favorite feature, followed closely by the ability to leave your cruise always switched to the "on" position so you don't have to turn it on every time you get in.

Jawaburger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2 Door, Manual, Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't recall ever a american car with a right stalk, are you visiting from the Subaru camp.
I had a '79 Chevy with a right stalk, and my '97 ranger also had a right stalk.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Ranger has two (2) left hand stalks, I can't imagine the moaning when they came out lol.

For the first couple years the horn was even on the turn signal stick.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks like that left-side wiper control will work exactly the same as the one on my 2001 F-150 XLT, and I'm fine with that. My truck has over 222,000 miles on it and that wiper stalk has never given a lick of trouble.
I had to spray my 97 F-150 XLT wiper spray button at the end with wd-40, they got a little too much factory grease in there that prevented contact. 400k miles I replaced the 5.4L engine when I had a big coolant leak and cooked the head gaskets. Good truck.

sda3

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah seems that's a Euro/Asian car thing with the right stalk. I've never owned anything with one. (All Fords SUVs and trucks). The focus, fusion, transit had it but because they started life outside North America. Taurus, Flex, Edge..ect NA designed don't have anything on the right side.
My mustang does.
Sponsored