Sponsored

Tow Package prewired for brake controller?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, it came with the 36 gallon tank.
And it didn’t come with the brake controller? I could have sworn that the max tow package (at least on the 3.5EB) came with it but the standard tow package didnt include it.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was under the impression that the factory brake controller has been - until just recently - an independent option not included in the packages. Even the max tow package required you to buy the brake controller - and the towing mirrors - separately. Of course, my truck couldn't get the max tow package anyway since its a 126" wheelbase version.

HOOTERVILLE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F150, 15 MALIBU, 07 STREETGLIDE, 22 Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was under the impression that the factory brake controller has been - until just recently - an independent option not included in the packages. Even the max tow package required you to buy the brake controller - and the towing mirrors - separately. Of course, my truck couldn't get the max tow package anyway since its a 126" wheelbase version.
I just went and looked at the window sticker. Under "Options" it came with a Class IV Trailer Hitch for $95 and a 36GAL Extended Range Fuel Tank for $445. So no real tow "package" I guess.

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford does install a 7 plug wiring harness and we are only using 4. You could convert the other 3 ports for trailer accessories. I could run one open ports to the accessorie switches for vehicle lighting and turn on my off-roading trailer lighting at the same time. You could also have one charging your solar battery on the trailer during transport and so on.

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok, this is the best I'll seen yet, straight from the Ford 2021 Bronco wiring diagrams. For sure with the towing package they will be wires for the brake controller. There are other components that are also included as you can see in the drawings. Don't know what wiring will be there if you do not order the towing package.
Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 1

Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 2

Ford Bronco Tow Package prewired for brake controller? 3

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent post. Thanks for sharing. I had hoped that Ford would offer an integrated brake controller, but I understand why they don't. But at least this is in place to make adding one a cinch.

Last edited:

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thought just came to me - is there a spot in the dash to mount an OEM controller? The last two F150s I’ve owned since 2009 have had a pocket where the controller fits. It’s much nicer than having it mounted under the plastic and hanging near your shins...

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thought just came to me - is there a spot in the dash to mount an OEM controller? The last two F150s I’ve owned since 2009 have had a pocket where the controller fits. It’s much nicer than having it mounted under the plastic and hanging near your shins...
I was thinking about that as well. I retrofitted an OEM brake controlled into my F150 that didn't come with one originally. The catch here is that for it to work, it has to be activated in the ECU. I would imagine that this could be done in Forscan (I had the dealer do mine), it would have to be in the programming as an available option in order to be able to turn it on. If Ford has no plans to offer it as an option, then is it likely to be something available in Forscan?

DesertChip

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Q5, 2017 GTI, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You won't even have to do that - if its prewired, then you just need an adapter to go from the controller to the pre-existing plug under the dash, and you won't have to tie up a 12V port. But even then, aftermarket controllers don't have the benefit of the OEM integration. The later is seamless in my experience.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 4 and 7-pin sockets on my 1019 F150 are prewired though I don’t have the controller. I expect the OEM tow package for the Bronco will have the same.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Redarc tow pro plug and play is what I’ll be waiting for. Then I can mount it wherever I choose.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve read the tow package doesn’t include the brake controller. Does anyone know if it’s at least prewired for one?
I think if you order the tow pkg the wiring is installed for the controller to plug into
Sponsored