Sponsored

Towing Capacity - Upgradable? Can it haul a car?

CrownCityMisfit

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus, Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Years ago I had plans to compete in SCCA Rallycross. I dropped some used gravel tires on a 2000 Focus, took it to rally school, competed in 1 event, and...

barely limped the Focus 150 miles back home to Pasadena from Ridgecrest. Having been graced with 2 bent control arms, a wobbly wheel, and a burned-out clutch, I soon realized having a proper truck and trailer was essential for this endeavor. File that under: No Shit Sherlock.

The small 2000 Focus is approximately 2,500 pounds. I see that cheaper wood-bottom car trailers weigh anywhere from 1,500-2000 pounds. There's not much wiggle room here if I need to stay below 3,500 pounds.

Can the Bronco be fitted with a beefier towing package? Or is the Bronco simply incapable of safely pulling more than 3,500 pounds, regardless of the towing package?

Cheers.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would not go over weight even with upgrades. But if you strip that Focus down and buy a small aluminum car hauler, you could come in under 3500.

OP
OP
CrownCityMisfit

CrownCityMisfit

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus, Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would not go over weight even with upgrades. But if you strip that Focus down and buy a small aluminum car hauler, you could come in under 3500.
Yeah I got rid of that Focus, but was planning to get another just like it once I have a truck/trailer. It's a fun little car when it's sideways! Stripping it should help indeed.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Can the Bronco be fitted with a beefier towing package? Or is the Bronco simply incapable of safely pulling more than 3,500 pounds, regardless of the towing package?
At this time the first answer is no, but that doesn't mean thar someone won't make a higher-rated reciever. The second answer isn't really known, and may depend on your definition of "safely".

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I got rid of that Focus, but was planning to get another just like it once I have a truck/trailer. It's a fun little car when it's sideways! Stripping it should help indeed.
I love MK1s. I just sold a MK2 which is arguably a better car, but it didn't have the same charm. Fun little cars to race around.

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What is the limiting factor in the tow rating? The Bronco shares a lot with the Ranger, right? And the ranger, with a 2.3L can tow 7500lbs. Is it the lack of extra cooling for the engine or transmission?

OP
OP
CrownCityMisfit

CrownCityMisfit

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus, Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Regardless of manufacturer ratings or receiver ratings, hauling an overrated load up and down the Grapevine will not end well, you need a pickup.
Yeah that is what the voice in the back of my head is saying....

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What is the limiting factor in the tow rating? The Bronco shares a lot with the Ranger, right? And the ranger, with a 2.3L can tow 7500lbs. Is it the lack of extra cooling for the engine or transmission?
Lower spring rates optimized for off-road, not max hauling. Also, the Ranger is leaf springs and the Bronco is coilovers.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sure, it can haul a car. ;)

Ford Bronco Towing Capacity - Upgradable? Can it haul a car? 1622773895455

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

is a car dolly workable for your situation? outside of that might need to go at least ranger but f150 would be better.

OP
OP
CrownCityMisfit

CrownCityMisfit

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus, Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
is a car dolly workable for your situation? outside of that might need to go at least ranger but f150 would be better.
Totally possible as long as the rear wheels of the car in-tow will roll. That is certainly an option. A great option.
Sponsored