First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Until my Bronco arrives, I am still driving my 2007 FJ. It began as my daily driver and was quickly converted into a overland camper. I have had the FJ in the shop several times(off roading damage) but not once for the engine work other than tuneups. I have been gone camping for up to six weeks at time and never once did i have to worry about reliability of the engine.Now, tree branches and rocks are another story.

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Former Ford owner. Current 4runner owner. Ford engines are more fun. The 4.0 in the 4runner is adequate and will keep on going for a long time, but it's not something I'd describe as fun. I enjoy it for what it is because I wanted long term reliability and simplicity.

joshofthefall

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Scion tC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I drive an '06 Scion tC, can I hang out here with you guys? Since there's 4Runner and FJ guys here, if it helps my qualifications I have parked in the gravel lot of forest preserves many times, and I have folded my rear seats flat and slept happily in the car. ?

OP
OP
BroncoJay

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drive an '06 Scion tC, can I hang out here with you guys? Since there's 4Runner and FJ guys here, if it helps my qualifications I have parked in the gravel lot of forest preserves many times, and I have folded my rear seats flat and slept happily in the car. ?
If u have slept in your car- hell ya u can hang here!

Sponsored

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sounds like you qualify ?

Maxmillian1

Badlands
First Name
Roscoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious as a Toyota owner for the last 13 years, does anyone have any experience with the Ford’s 2.7 V6 compared to the Tacoma’s 3.5V6? Or for that matter compared tit he 2.3, never driven the Ford so just wanting some comparison on the motors, power, durability...
I'm looking forward to more power in the 2.7 vs my 2002 4Runner, but I'm just hoping that it will have the same reliable and durable as 3.4 L V6 with just over 200,000

dnvrBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, Outback, 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm looking forward to more power in the 2.7 vs my 2002 4Runner, but I'm just hoping that it will have the same reliable and durable as 3.4 L V6 with just over 200,000
Traditionally turbocharged engines would not be as durable. Often this was the application, some sort of sport or performance car that was often driven at high revs with high boost. This sort of application would expose engines with poor build tolerances. I don’t know for sure, but I suspect the 2.7 has lower pressure turbos and the 10sp auto will keep the revs lower. That should improve durability, but as reliable as a 3.4, 4.0, or 4.7 Toyota engine — probably not.

TK-421

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2017 Tacomama is my first and likely last. Hate the throttle lag and indecisive downshifting. First A/T because none of the manual trims were viable. I expected way better.

Thinking I’ll go back to manual...4dr BD with hard top and Mid.

Tvcraig75

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I own a 2013 4Runner Trail Edition. Can’t wait to get into the 2.7L, the Toyota is just so slow and feels like it is hardly ever in the right gear. And at altitude it’s an absolute dog. I hope the twin turbos help out in thin air, I live at 7k feet so every day is high altitude driving.

Sponsored

AtomicWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Haven't driven the 2.7 ECO but have driven my friends 3.5 2020 Tacoma TRD PRO (manual). That motor is seriously lacking in power, not sure what Toyota was thinking. I have a 2010 FJ with the 4.0 for comparison sake, which is a good motor but paired with the 5spd it's always hunting for gears on the highway so it's a miserable drive. The 2.7 ECO will be an impressive amount of power. I also have a CX9 w/a 2.5L 4cyl turbo and that thing moves. I'm excited about the 2.7 ECO.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've owned two Land Cruisers: a '71 FJ40 and a '95 FZJ80. I regret getting rid of both of them! I traded the FH40 for a Harley. I sold the FZJ80 to a friend. His wife was driving when the "pesky heater hose" burst (known issue on these), and it seized the engine. I loved that vehicle but couldn't afford to keep it as just a toy. I'm really getting into the idea of overlanding, and of course the FZJ80 would have been perfect for that. It did get bad gas mileage and always felt underpowered with the 80 MPH highways we have around here. Toyota's are awesome!

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMPO Toyota’s reputation for building reliable vehicles was built on several generations of simple, relatively lightweight trucks. With each new generation these same vehicles have IMPO become increasingly & unnecessarily more complex, sometimes larger & heavier, slowly chipping away at this reputation. I have a 2012 Tacoma that continues to be a stellar vehicle. I’ve also watched several of my buddies inability to reproduce the same luck / reliability with their 3rd gen Tacoma’s. I’m not a fan of the 3rd gen Tacoma’s I think Toyota dialed that one in poolside. Therefore it is my current opinion that Toyota is nearing the end of their reputation curve and slowly approaching similar standards & expectations we hold for other brands including Ford. I could be wrong.

Am I an expert? Hell no.

Do I want a Bronco? Hell yes.

Do I believe that the Bronco will have similar reliability to my 2nd gen Tacoma? Nope. But all new vehicles would suffer the same fate. So it is what it is. They just don’t make things like used to.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

33 years. Sad that Toyota is sitting on success and left behind....
Agreed.

2015 TRD Offroad Double Cab short bed is the Tacoma unicorn IMPO. If I could buy another one brand new I would.
Sponsored