Sponsored

Trail Pinstripes - Paint & MIC Hardtop -- how to repair / fix / detail?

Dave42

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch, 07 Chevy turbo diesel pickup
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What's the best way to fix/minimize/camouflage minor scratches to the paint and factory hardtop once you've hosed off the mud & gone through a car wash? I've never had this problem before - all my previous off-roading was on ATVs or in old beater vehicles (an early '70's Toyota FJ-40; rust was a bigger issue than trail pinstripes). Now that I've got a new off-roader, I notice every little blemish. Nothing major so far, but one long afternoon running narrow, trails in the woods I see quite a few scratches from tree branches, etc.
Top is the black Ford hardtop (which will probably be removed before future trips) & shows faint whiteish scratches. Will they "go away" with some Armor-All or other product? Paint is the factory tri-color metallic Azure-gray.
Like I said, this is something I've never cared about before, running old beaters, or ATVs. But now I'll be running trails in my new daily driver. My Li'l Mule is awesome, but I'd like to keep her looking at least semi-respectable.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IMO, if you plan to use the truck it's better to embrace the pin stripes rather than fight them...nothing like the sound of branches screeching across the purty new paint. An occasional quick wax job is my only attempt to look semi-respectable.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Beat it up more, won't even notice. :whistle:

I have a body shop I've used, I personally would run it by and ask Steve what he thought after looking at it (he's gotten $25k+ business out of me... only downside is we're both talkers and it'll be hours before I leave 👀). If you're same or can get a local recommendation, that's what I would say.

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had good luck with Meguires Ultimate compound when the next door neighbor put a 2ft long scratch on my passenger door with a branch he was dragging.

I used a DA polisher with the compound and after a couple of passes, it came out. A good rule of thumb when dealing with scratches, if you can't see it after you wet it with water, you're just into the clear coat and you should be able to buff (with compound or polish), if you can still see the scratch after getting it wet, you're likely in the paint and you'll probably need someone to wet sand.

I figured I saved over $200-$300 dollars in fixing scratches doing it myself.