seashell

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For those with the tow package, I would like to suggest that you go out today and buy a nice shiny hitch with a locking pin and put it on your Bronco. Mine saved me from any damage today in a minor fender bender. An idiot in the main lane decided he really wanted to be in the turn lane so he stopped in the middle of the road with a green light. I was able to barely get around him but the truck behind me had to slam his breaks and bumped me before hitting the idiot. I double checked everything including the spare tire and back door. Then I noticed the indention on the trucks front bumper where he caught my hitch. I just put it on a couple of weeks ago thanks to a spare my Dad gave me. Safe travels everyone!
Sponsored

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a very good chance that your rear frame cross member is bent. This is a pretty expensive fix. I hope you got the guys insurance.

OP
OP
seashell

seashell

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There is a very good chance that your rear frame cross member is bent. This is a pretty expensive fix. I hope you got the guys insurance.
All looks and rides well but thanks, I will have it checked out. It was a slow speed "bump" and I was moving at the time but you never know.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't understand how someone rear ended you but didn't hit your spare first. I am assuming you have a non lifted Bronco by your sig pic. So how was it that he hit the hitch but not the spare?

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't understand how someone rear ended you but didn't hit your spare first. I am assuming you have a non lifted Bronco by your sig pic. So how was it that he hit the hitch but not the spare?
Ok I'm not going crazy, I was wondering the same thing. I even bought a Curt 8" hitch extension, so I could get it almost even with my spare tire and make it easier to use my bike rack and landscape trailer. But even with that 8" extension in, the spare tire still is slightly further out than my hitch.

Unless....maybe it got hit by a little 'un like this 😁

kiddiebronco.jpg

Last edited:

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve had 3 incidents where the rear hitch prevented any damage. Another time the rear hitch lessened the damage to just a bumper, the other car left on a roll back. I have a extended drop hitch in my bronco at all times.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is actually genius, but hideous sticking out the hitch. Not sure I'd be able to stand seeing that sticking out all the time.
Wack your shin a few times and you'll get over the looks.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is actually genius, but hideous sticking out the hitch. Not sure I'd be able to stand seeing that sticking out all the time.
I think they should have named it "Mjolnir". Just that one little change of having that printed on it would transform it from being hideous to being a chick magnet. ;)

OP
OP
seashell

seashell

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok I'm not going crazy, I was wondering the same thing. I even bought a Curt 8" hitch extension, so I could get it almost even with my spare tire and make it easier to use my bike rack and landscape trailer. But even with that 8" extension in, the spare tire still is slightly further out than my hitch.

Unless....maybe it got hit by a little 'un like this 😁

kiddiebronco.jpg
Ok....maybe it's a matter of semantics. Bronco not lifted but I have "hitch" with a 2" ball that comes out slightly farther than my tire. The guy behind me was in an 80's Chevy truck with a chrome bumper. His bumper hit the hitch and could have possibly made contact with the spare tire. No damage to tire mount or back door and so far they are not finding any frame damage.

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok, it's just different than mine is then. Because if I put in my 2" hitch w/ ball (without the Curt 8" extender) - it might just barely make it to my spare tire...but definitely not extend past it, certainly not to the point where it would offer any protection in a rear crash.

OP
OP
seashell

seashell

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok, it's just different than mine is then. Because if I put in my 2" hitch w/ ball (without the Curt 8" extender) - it might just barely make it to my spare tire...but definitely not extend past it, certainly not to the point where it would offer any protection in a rear crash.
Gotcha. Maybe difference between 2 and 4 door or even models.
Sponsored