First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Big Bend Bronco 2 dr.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've put about 8000kmoffroad and through BC Canada mountains with a front basket and smittybilt rtt on my trmr/pax and it has held up really well,easy to remove front roof panels and having 2 7 ltr rotopax was much needed.Only complaint is the "stainless"paxrax hardware starting to rust now.
How easy is to mount and dismount your Smittybuilt rtt from the Trailrax? Do you leave the tent on all the time or do you take it on and off regularly?
Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How easy is to mount and dismount your Smittybuilt rtt from the Trailrax? Do you leave the tent on all the time or do you take it on and off regularly?
it wasn't to bad install/remove the SB rtt,just have to remove the middle roof section to get at the mounting bolts. I'm going to try Front Runner quick mounts this year.

jb_dot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Trailrax Real World Reviews? 2023-03-25 16.29.54

Just installed the Trailrax (with Pakrax) this weekend and got the RTT on top as well. Setup wasn't bad - the instructions on how to get the front mounts on really helped (even if my flex head ratchet never showed up from Amazon). I've got some wind noise to manage at the moment, but I think I can get something inbetween the tent and rack to help with that. Looking forward to exploring and camping!

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Trailrax Real World Reviews? 2023-03-25 16.29.54

Just installed the Trailrax (with Pakrax) this weekend and got the RTT on top as well. Setup wasn't bad - the instructions on how to get the front mounts on really helped (even if my flex head ratchet never showed up from Amazon). I've got some wind noise to manage at the moment, but I think I can get something inbetween the tent and rack to help with that. Looking forward to exploring and camping!
Nice! What RTT do you have? Thanks.

jb_dot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice! What RTT do you have? Thanks.
It's an unbranded one from a local reseller - looks similar to the ones that come out of the CVT or Roofnest factory. I've got some work to do today as the wind noise and squeaks and creaks are reallllly bad. I should be able to take care of that with some foam or rubber and some pads for the tent.

Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's an unbranded one from a local reseller - looks similar to the ones that come out of the CVT or Roofnest factory. I've got some work to do today as the wind noise and squeaks and creaks are reallllly bad. I should be able to take care of that with some foam or rubber and some pads for the tent.
I had creaks and bad wind noise when I put my tent up on mine. From research, move the wind fairing up as high as it will go and put something (I used zip ties, others have used felt, velcro) in between the fairing and the side rails. Doing that fixed my creaks and a ton of the wind noise. Good luck and try those things first. I did put a pool noodle between the bottom of the tent and the wind fairing and that got rid of all the wind noise, I used wire through the middle of the pool noodle to tie it to the rack.

IMG_1003-XL.jpg

jb_dot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had creaks and bad wind noise when I put my tent up on mine. From research, move the wind fairing up as high as it will go and put something (I used zip ties, others have used felt, velcro) in between the fairing and the side rails. Doing that fixed my creaks and a ton of the wind noise. Good luck and try those things first. I did put a pool noodle between the bottom of the tent and the wind fairing and that got rid of all the wind noise, I used wire through the middle of the pool noodle to tie it to the rack.
Thanks for the suggestions - I added a bunch of rubber spacers around the tent as it was resting on the outer rails. But there's something else making noise - so I'll keep investigating. It's quiet if I shake the rack or tent, but when I close the tailgate, it all rattles and squeaks. Wind noise is better after covering a few things - and yeah, I was looking at a foam type thing to put between the tent and the top of the wind deflector, so thanks for the idea.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I put my RTT up recently. Due to the awning brackets, I had to raise the tent 1.5" to clear the brackets.
Interestingly, I don't have any rattles or squeaks, but there is a lot of wind noise on the passenger side of the tent.

Awning/RTT combo:
Ford Bronco Trailrax Real World Reviews? 20230517_180023

Front view:
Ford Bronco Trailrax Real World Reviews? 20230426_175032

Any ideas on how to attach a wind faring to this setup? The tent overhangs the roof line by 1/2 a foot, not enough to be able to see it from the inside, but enough to make a solution to this harder than necessary.

Thanks in advance!

350vudu

Raptor
First Name
350vudu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@TrailRax

When will the TRMR rack for the 4 door be back in stock?

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

To help with wind noise, you will want to push that tent back so that there is no over hang above the wind deflector, when that happens, you are basically adding a parachute to your Bronco where wind gets caught up. This could also be the reason you hear creaking, the tent is getting pushed up by the wind. Let us know if this helps!

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put my RTT up recently. Due to the awning brackets, I had to raise the tent 1.5" to clear the brackets.
Interestingly, I don't have any rattles or squeaks, but there is a lot of wind noise on the passenger side of the tent.

Awning/RTT combo:

Front view:

Any ideas on how to attach a wind faring to this setup? The tent overhangs the roof line by 1/2 a foot, not enough to be able to see it from the inside, but enough to make a solution to this harder than necessary.

Thanks in advance!
Same situation for you, if you can get the tent to scoot back to where the objects on your roof do not over hang the front of your rack, you will experience better MPG, less wind noise, and less rack flex and rattle. Hope this helps!

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I installed mine a few weeks ago. Quick thoughts:
  • Installation of this erector set of a rack was relatively painless.
  • No directioin on torque values, even when I requested them. I found that a bit odd for a piece of equipment where improper installation could have catastrophic consequences for others.
  • Their direction on torquing the front mounting bolts was so sketch... something to the effect of using needle nose pliers to torque the nuts. This is one of the more important attachment points. I want a torque wrench on those nuts.
  • If you loosen and slide the wind fairing to the side you can access those attachment points with a regular socket and torque wrench.
  • The only thing on mine right now is a 4 rod caddy from Thule and a fork mount bike rack. It may also see a few dry bags occasionally.
  • I've done plenty of off road driving in the last few weeks. No rattles / noise.
  • It does create wind noise at highway speeds on a windy day.

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed mine a few weeks ago. Quick thoughts:
  • Installation of this erector set of a rack was relatively painless.
  • No directioin on torque values, even when I requested them. I found that a bit odd for a piece of equipment where improper installation could have catastrophic consequences for others.
  • Their direction on torquing the front mounting bolts was so sketch... something to the effect of using needle nose pliers to torque the nuts. This is one of the more important attachment points. I want a torque wrench on those nuts.
  • If you loosen and slide the wind fairing to the side you can access those attachment points with a regular socket and torque wrench.
  • The only thing on mine right now is a 4 rod caddy from Thule and a fork mount bike rack. It may also see a few dry bags occasionally.
  • I've done plenty of off road driving in the last few weeks. No rattles / noise.
  • It does create wind noise at highway speeds on a windy day.
Hey!

Thanks for your feed back and thank you for your business, sorry about the toque specs, I will attach them below from our install instructions from our site! While there is no specific torque spec on the bolts we use described in the instructions, snug is best practice and to stay within the torque specs of the 1/4-20 hardware since that is what we use on 98% of this rack.

Let us know if you have anymore questions, happy to help!

Ford Bronco Trailrax Real World Reviews? Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 9.55.03 AM

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here's a fun fact:
You can take the @TrailRax TRMR roof rack off easily by unscrewing the front crossbars where the windfaring is. Looks a little funny with just the windfaring on, but since that seems to be the hardest part, I gave it a try and it works well.
Ford Bronco Trailrax Real World Reviews? 20230728_064645
Ford Bronco Trailrax Real World Reviews? 20230729_091526

Here's the disclaimer: I haven't tried putting the roof or the rack back on so not sure how easy or hard that will be, but I was able to take the whole thing off myself, and will attempt to do the same putting it back on.

FOLLOW UP: Put the roof back on, and also put the Trailrax TRMR back on. It was too easy, less than an hour TOPS for the roof and the rack. I was worried about the screw alignment at the front but it was nothing more than lifting about 1mm to align and screw it all together. I'll be doing this from now on.
Sponsored

Last edited: