Sponsored

TSB 22-2392 (Please Help Me Stay Positive) Charging System Fault Message In The Instrument Panel Cluster - Mud Accumulation In Generator

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘13 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I went to Hollister Hills in Hollister, California yesterday, stopped at their Obstacle course and did some fun stuff. Some was fording. I ran this three times, two without problems. My buddy, twice, without problem. It was my third pass when the “Check Charging System Now” message appeared and the battery stopped charging. By the time I got home the batter was at 12.1 V. And the battery doesn’t take on a charge when running.

Today I went to my local Dealer who said, “It may be your fault for running the truck into water” and wouldn’t acknowledge the TSB until they see the Bronco. I get it. THEY have to make the dIagnosis, not the patient. They also asked if I bought the Bronco from them. Their parts department asked me that too when I tried to order parts a few months back. WHY DOES THAT MATTER?

I need to stay positive here, folks, with my alternator / generator.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ford Bronco TSB 22-2392 (Please Help Me Stay Positive) Charging System Fault Message In The Instrument Panel Cluster - Mud Accumulation In Generator IMG_0461
Sponsored

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Stay positive"

So, the dealerships are "independent" (Dr. Evil quotes). They do not want to do warranty/TSB work for people who did not buy from them, because it's a hassle to get paid and they might not get paid the ridiculous amount they could charge for that work. Plus, they want to know if you're someone who will buy from them again or not. The scarcity of vehicles, Bronco especially, should be cause for extra understanding and common sense from dealerships... should, but won't.

Check the California laws on warranty/recall/TSB work and I bet it's pretty favorable towards the consumer.

When a dealership plays the "did you buy it from us" game, I say that I moved from out of state or that I don't remember where I bought it and the more they press that, the more absurd my answers get. "It's on your paperwork." "You mean my birth certificate?"

It's a ridiculous problem that Ford should have addressed better, but you should be able to get it fixed. I think everyone, who bought a Bronco, believed they could drive through something like that at a reasonable speed.

Maybe clean up the undercarriage, etc. before you take it there too.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@Squatch … thanks for your message. I tried to upload my video but the site here won’t take it. Anyway, I don’t know why, but the mud splashed up and on top of engine bay So that won’t bode well I suppose. I cleaned the body and undercarriage this morning.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can't speak for California or Florida, but I've never heard of a dealer turning down any repair work here in NJ, and that includes models they don't sell. My wife brings her Lincoln to the Ford dealer that's minutes away, and they have never sold Lincolns.

Money is money. But one thing I've learned on car forums, different states do things very differently, I hear everyone else has to actually pump gas :wink::rolleyes::oops::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:🤪

But seriously, dealers want more customers, not less, this makes no sense to me. I find it hard to believe this is the reason they were asking, but I've heard dumber crap than that that turned out to be true.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bert, you have two issues.

First is the alternator. Been there done that and they fixed mine under warranty. The TSB puts a shield on the bottom rear side of the alternator. The front top remains wide open. When one looks down from the top, copper windings are still visible. The alternator rides low. Imho that’s a design flaw, especially when Ford says you can run in 32” of water. My new bottom line, I stay out of water and mud. It is what it is. ☹. Good luck. BTW, there are several threads on this topic.

Second issue - I agree with you, it shouldn’t matter where you bought it. But with dealers today, it does. I hear too many stories of long waits for service for folks who didn’t buy their vehicle at that dealer. There are four magic words I always use when scheduling service. “I bought it here”. I realize there are legitimate exceptions, with moving or being on a trip as examples. Also get my oil changed and will soon buy a set of tires there (prices are better than Tire Rack). I‘ve had various issues with my Bronco and the dealer has always taken care of me.

Again, good luck.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The q of where you bought might not be a refusal to work on it but where in the line of vehicles to be worked on it gets placed. Bought "here" takes precedence over " not here". It can be as simple as that along with still a lack of enough techs after covid.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks, folks. Just dropped it off. Service advisor didn’t know about the TSB but did mention a windshield wiper recall.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Heard back. Will be repaired under warranty. Rev-G alternator + shield.

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I service advisor, I dont care where you got it from. The manufacturer pays the same regardless of location it was purchased.

The reason I ask is to know if I need to get the VIN from you or if its already in the system so I can just look it up by phone number.

I would prefer to get the warranty repairs done rather than it turn into customer pay and potentially lose the job.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As I service advisor, I dont care where you got it from. The manufacturer pays the same regardless of location it was purchased.

The reason I ask is to know if I need to get the VIN from you or if its already in the system so I can just look it up by phone number.

I would prefer to get the warranty repairs done rather than it turn into customer pay and potentially lose the job.
Well, that is encouraging! I’m already in their DB by phone number anyway. Oddly, so is my Camaro! Seems this dealer‘s ownership group also owns some Chevy dealers in the area.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just picked up the Bronco. No turbo now. And a Needs Service warning with orange wrench on dash.
Volts at idle is 13.5. Normal?

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fixed again. My son fixed it. Turbo hose blew off or wasn’t reassembled.

OP
OP
CrystalRedTintCoat

CrystalRedTintCoat

Wildtrak
First Name
BertJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
TSB 22-2392 has been superseded by TSB 23-2238 to update the Service Procedure and labor operation allowance.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: