Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any chance you have a copy of this one ? Can't find it through google.

1686855562183.png
Here ya go (attached below). I'm not sure why they referenced the Accessory Drive Belt, when it's really the Generator Drive Belt that goes around the alternator pulley? Regardless, both are attached below for reference.
Sponsored

Attachments

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The special service tool listed in the WorkShop Manual is 303-1252 Stretchy Belt Remover/Installer Tool, but they are ridiculously overpriced IMO ($450+). Here is an example of one for sale on the Internet.

There are much cheaper aftermarket products available, like this one from Lisle (or other similar models), that may work, but I have not tried them. There are lots of YouTube videos online showing people installing these stretchy belts on numerous vehicles. You're basically rolling it on to the pulley like mounting a bike chain, so several different tools (even makeshift ones) should work.

A PDF of the Bronco belt removal and installation procedure is attached below for reference.
So it's probably cheaper to have a dealership or shop install it, since the labor is probably around the same cost (maybe cheaper).

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone had a dealer install the shield on a working alternator for the 2.7 yet? If so, how much was the labor charge?

What is the name of the part used to remove/install the stretch belt?
Wild horses did a video. Basically they got the tool at NAPA Auto parts for $25.

I've also heard that the easier answer is just to cut the old belt off and buy a new one which you can put on without the special tool.

SW4037

Badlands
First Name
Yixiang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
just want to make sure If there is something wrong with Bronco alternator, with TSB, should all repairs be covered by the warranty?
After checking my alternator, the dealer said that the problems caused by the rocks, grass twigs inside were not caused by mud, and were not covered by the warranty. Then I took out the TSB to them, and now the dealer said that they are finding solutions to see how to solve it.
Ford Bronco Muddy water fording alternator issue fix: TSB 22-2392 -- Mud Accumulation in Generator fc79b44527ccfc92fdeb8501b6237eb
Ford Bronco Muddy water fording alternator issue fix: TSB 22-2392 -- Mud Accumulation in Generator b5b7842f2c4c062a72405855ce6af29
Ford Bronco Muddy water fording alternator issue fix: TSB 22-2392 -- Mud Accumulation in Generator d4559e6fc58d204afc677c6bf82c170

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
not sure how you got twigs inside of the housing, but bet you had fun doing it :cool:.

When I had mine fail (and ended up fixing it myself), the problem was the brushes got fouled and hung up so they didn't make contact with the shaft. I had to take the alternator apart and washed everything out with simple water, freeing the brushes.

In my opinion, the TSB fix is a band-aid. If the opening in the back of the alternator (under the plastic diode cover) was sealed, then debris wouldn't get in to foul the brushes. Even the alternator on my '75 International has that opening closed off.

Sponsored

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Dr Bronco Badlands Sas/lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Add another fried alternator to the list. Got the service charging system warning after hitting a trail, it then lit up like a Christmas Tree. Almost made it home before it died lol. Thanks to this TSB, they're covering it under warranty. However, they didn't mention whether the cover would be installed or not, just said an alternator was on the way. Time will tell.

Ford Bronco Muddy water fording alternator issue fix: TSB 22-2392 -- Mud Accumulation in Generator IMG_3595

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Add another fried alternator to the list. Got the service charging system warning after hitting a trail, it then lit up like a Christmas Tree. Almost made it home before it died lol. Thanks to this TSB, they're covering it under warranty. However, they didn't mention whether the cover would be installed or not, just said an alternator was on the way. Time will tell.

Ford Bronco Muddy water fording alternator issue fix: TSB 22-2392 -- Mud Accumulation in Generator IMG_3595
So how deep was the mud/muddy water? Were you sending it or going through it easy?

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So how deep was the mud/muddy water? Were you sending it or going through it easy?
the worst of it was maybe 25-30" deep. Got momentarily stuck but was able to back out of it. The alternator side was definitely on the deeper side. If I gave it more, I might have made it out first shot but it would've been worse. I thought it was the line I took going in but I was wrong.

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update* they did install a new alternator with the shield under warranty. The problem now is the new alternator sounds like it came off a 1996 Aerostar, the whine is unbearable smh back she goes.

Update 2.0* they said drive it for the weekend and see if it goes away ffs

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah...besides a random fuel pump failure or some random electrical gremlin that leads you stranded in the middle of no where....this is my biggest concern with the bronco.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I was going down a trail and came up to a muddy water hole. I may put my tail between my legs and turn around.

Sponsored

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah...besides a random fuel pump failure or some random electrical gremlin that leads you stranded in the middle of no where....this is my biggest concern with the bronco.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I was going down a trail and came up to a muddy water hole. I may put my tail between my legs and turn around.

Agreed and this was a poor design decision. The old Xterras also had the alternator low on the engine and I got to replace a couple. I found that both actually worked once I got them out and hosed all the mud out of them. Wasn't going to risk putting them back in, but I wonder if you could clean it out enough on the trail to get going again.

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there no aftermarket means to make it more water resistent? No one has figured out a hack on it?

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is there no aftermarket means to make it more water resistent? No one has figured out a hack on it?

They are just a little harder than some things to waterproof because they need cooling air.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can't have a waterproof alternator. It relies on air to keep it cool. You can get it wet all you want but mud and sticks are bad. I think the new shield is meant to keep some of the debris out but there's only so much that can be done.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Agreed and this was a poor design decision. The old Xterras also had the alternator low on the engine and I got to replace a couple. I found that both actually worked once I got them out and hosed all the mud out of them. Wasn't going to risk putting them back in, but I wonder if you could clean it out enough on the trail to get going again.
You absolutely can. There have been multiple members that have done exactly that.

As a matter of fact, it sounds like the easiest fix is to buy yourself a spare belt so that you can just cut the one off, remove the alternator, wash it out, and then when you put it back on, you can get the new belt wrapped around without the special tool.
Sponsored