First Name
Ardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Hennessey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thought I would start a new thread in hopes that you guys that are more familiar with tunes can give others a basic overview. The only tune I know about is sending the truck to Hennessey. $25k for wheels/tires/bumpers/level kit (which I like and would do anyway) and engine work adding 100 HPW and 110 torque. It includes following. I have figured $10k for the appearance things I will do anyway, leaves $15k for the tune and warranty and some other Hennessey specific things like embroidered headrests and stickers.

Engine Mgmt Software Upgrade
500 HPW/550 Torque
Upgraded Heat Exchanger
Dyno Tuning
3 year/36k warranty

What is a PCM tune? How does the Ford Performance or Whipple tune differ from above and do we have a ballpark price on it? Does it have a warranty or affect the factory warranty? Has anyone sent to Hennessey?

I did have a First Edition Hennessey Bronco that I bought used and sold so I do like their products and am only 70 miles form them so that helps, but wasn't sure $15k for that above is really worth it
Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thought I would start a new thread in hopes that you guys that are more familiar with tunes can give others a basic overview. The only tune I know about is sending the truck to Hennessey. $25k for wheels/tires/bumpers/level kit (which I like and would do anyway) and engine work adding 100 HPW and 110 torque. It includes following. I have figured $10k for the appearance things I will do anyway, leaves $15k for the tune and warranty and some other Hennessey specific things like embroidered headrests and stickers.

Engine Mgmt Software Upgrade
500 HPW/550 Torque
Upgraded Heat Exchanger
Dyno Tuning
3 year/36k warranty

What is a PCM tune? How does the Ford Performance or Whipple tune differ from above and do we have a ballpark price on it? Does it have a warranty or affect the factory warranty? Has anyone sent to Hennessey?

I did have a First Edition Hennessey Bronco that I bought used and sold so I do like their products and am only 70 miles form them so that helps, but wasn't sure $15k for that above is really worth it
I would spend the $600 for the Ford Tune and install it in about 15 minutes and see if you need anything further. The extra horses and transmission shifting improvement is perfect for me. Don't see the Bronco as a sports car. Spend the money on other things like suspension/bumpers/tires/wheels/lights etc... make it custom for you. Lots of good threads to review and see what you like for a build. 25k+ buys a ton of stuff!

OP
OP
Agswin

Agswin

First Edition
First Name
Ardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Hennessey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would spend the $600 for the Ford Tune and install it in about 15 minutes and see if you need anything further. The extra horses and transmission shifting improvement is perfect for me. Don't see the Bronco as a sports car. Spend the money on other things like suspension/bumpers/tires/wheels/lights etc... make it custom for you. Lots of good threads to review and see what you like for a build. 25k+ buys a ton of stuff!
Thanks. What does a PCM tune mean? Do you take your truck to Ford and they have a device they connect and tune the trucks computer for you and this doesnt affect the warranty?

I read on other threads about whipple and intercoolers and stuff like that, is that a whole different thing?

Does any hardware need to be changed out with the Ford tune?

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you post a link to the Hennessey tune, your number don't jive with what I'm seeing. A stock 2.7 Bronco puts out 330 HP and I'm seeing Hennessey claiming 405 BHP (399hp). So a 70 gain in HP, and HPW is calculated less than HP. So how do you go from 399 HP to 500 HPW?

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks. What does a PCM tune mean? Do you take your truck to Ford and they have a device they connect and tune the trucks computer for you and this doesnt affect the warranty?

I read on other threads about whipple and intercoolers and stuff like that, is that a whole different thing?

Does any hardware need to be changed out with the Ford tune?
Ford Tune comes with a programmer box that plugs right into your Bronco. Super easy just the tuner and a laptop and follow the instructions. Ford says 36k warranty but you have to have it installed by a licensed mechanic. I think a lot of people are just installing it themselves. It is almost impossible to mess it up and Ford would have a hard case to prove that the same tune on their website needs a licensed mechanic to push the button vs owner. $600 best money I have spent. Makes a big difference. Have to run premium gas with a tune...but we'll worth it. Lethal Performance is where I purchased mine.

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can you post a link to the Hennessey tune, your number don't jive with what I'm seeing. A stock 2.7 Bronco puts out 330 HP and I'm seeing Hennessey claiming 405 BHP (399hp). So a 70 gain in HP, and HPW is calculated less than HP. So how do you go from 399 HP to 500 HPW?
Raptor, not regular bronco.

OP
OP
Agswin

Agswin

First Edition
First Name
Ardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Hennessey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
you’re on the raptor forum, the engine is the 3.0. Numbers are on their website.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
you’re on the raptor forum, the engine is the 3.0. Numbers are on their website.
So the Bronco Raptor correct? If so I'm seeing 418 HP stock and only 500 HP(henny tune), that math still doesn't pencil out for a 100 gain in HPW.

OP
OP
Agswin

Agswin

First Edition
First Name
Ardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Hennessey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So the Bronco Raptor correct? If so I'm seeing 418 HP stock and only 500 HP(henny tune), that math still doesn't pencil out for a 100 gain in HPW.
My bad, I was doing the math backwards (was calculating 20% of 500) when it is actually 20% increase over 418 which is 500.

orekid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve debated this for a long time. I am also 70 mi from Hennessey. I was close to pulling the trigger until the sales guys stopped responding to my questions about personalizing the package (how much more $ to upgrade the brakes.. after seeing a video they’d posted).
That irritated me, and it happened right as I was learning about the ford tune annd alternative intercooler / charge pipe / exhaust / intake upgrade options. Relative to what I could pick up with a few k going my own route, the Hennessey performance upgrades are not even close to a $25k incremental improvement in my humble opinion. I think the bumper is kind of cool but honestly the stock mod bumper has better lighting options (and I’d have to dump my diode dynamics if I did Hennessey, which I love) and re: wheels/tires/leveling I’d rather choose my own suspension mods.

The serial num and stitched headrests are pretty sick though, and I’m not being sarcastic. I’ve loved Hennessey cars since I was a kid and I love that they blessed the Bronco, I just couldn’t justify it for mine. Venom F5 on the other hand…that is a truly unique vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Agswin

Agswin

First Edition
First Name
Ardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Hennessey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve debated this for a long time. I am also 70 mi from Hennessey. I was close to pulling the trigger until the sales guys stopped responding to my questions about personalizing the package (how much more $ to upgrade the brakes.. after seeing a video they’d posted).
That irritated me, and it happened right as I was learning about the ford tune annd alternative intercooler / charge pipe / exhaust / intake upgrade options. Relative to what I could pick up with a few k going my own route, the Hennessey performance upgrades are not even close to a $25k incremental improvement in my humble opinion. I think the bumper is kind of cool but honestly the stock mod bumper has better lighting options (and I’d have to dump my diode dynamics if I did Hennessey, which I love) and re: wheels/tires/leveling I’d rather choose my own suspension mods.

The serial num and stitched headrests are pretty sick though, and I’m not being sarcastic. I’ve loved Hennessey cars since I was a kid and I love that they blessed the Bronco, I just couldn’t justify it for mine. Venom F5 on the other hand…that is a truly unique vehicle.
Funny you mentioned brakes. I will answer that for you from first-hand knowledge. Here is the long story:

I bought a used First Edition Hennessey Bronco from a Ford dealer in Tennessee last year It had 1800 miles on it and I bought it for $101,000 sight unseen. It had the regular Hennessey package ($27,450) plus the "Heritage" package for $6500 additional (which is literally racing stripes and the hockey stick graphic, which are all stickers) plus the big brake kit option which was another $6500. So basically, MSRP for truck was $62k and about $40,000 in Hennessey packages. First editions were sold out and everything was way over sticker, so it was a great deal.

The story I got from the dealer was that the guy bought his 1st edition, sent it to Hennessey, got it back then his Raptor Bronco arrived, and he traded it in. It was Hennessey #18. Story made sense based on low mileage and that Raptors were just starting to hit the streets.

I fly out, get to dealer, check out the truck, test drive. Everything is perfect, do the deal, stay the night in hotel then drive the truck back to Texas with several stops along the way. Everything is great.

Get home, go to sleep, wake up the next day and start the truck and dashboard lights up with error messages about brake issues. Luckily, I could clear the messages and drive the truck and all was fine except for a couple of lights stayed on telling me to take it to the dealer. After several calls to dealers and to Hennessey it turns out that the error was because the big brake kit needs more brake fluid than stock however the computer on the truck thinks it is getting too much brake fluid and starts throwing codes. There was an issue where the truck did not realize that the truck had larger braked requiring more fluid. The POTENTIAL fix was to change a sensor. Ford said they would pay for it. BUT it turns out that the sensor change fix was already tried at the dealership I bought the truck from....which obviously didnt fix it. Turns out that the owner traded it in not because he was getting a Raptor, but because they could not fix this issue and the dealer did not disclose any of this to me. Now, I do understand part of it was my fault - I should have gotten records before I bought it but, in the end, I have a truck that is not functional.

The sort of happy ending was that Hennessey covered the cost to remove the upgraded brakes and go back to stock, I just had to wait 6 weeks for the parts to get in.

So that is why they don't offer a big brake option anymore, even though there is some marketing material out there still that shows the big brake kit on some of their older rides....they are all now back to stock.

Ford Bronco Tune vs Hennessey IMG-7751.JPG

Ford Bronco Tune vs Hennessey 22

IMG-7748.JPG

Last edited:

orekid

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Funny you mentioned brakes. I will answer that for you from first-hand knowledge. Here is the long story:

I bought a used First Edition Hennessey Bronco from a Ford dealer in Tennessee last year It had 1800 miles on it and I bought it for $101,000 sight unseen. It had the regular Hennessey package ($27,450) plus the "Heritage" package for $6500 additional (which is literally racing stripes and the hockey stick graphic, which are all stickers) plus the big brake kit option which was another $6500. So basically, MSRP for truck was $62k and about $40,000 in Hennessey packages. First editions were sold out and everything was way over sticker, so it was a great deal.

The story I got from the dealer was that the guy bought his 1st edition, sent it to Hennessey, got it back then his Raptor Bronco arrived, and he traded it in. It was Hennessey #18. Story made sense based on low mileage and that Raptors were just starting to hit the streets.

I fly out, get to dealer, check out the truck, test drive. Everything is perfect, do the deal, stay the night in hotel then drive the truck back to Texas with several stops along the way. Everything is great.

Get home, go to sleep, wake up the next day and start the truck and dashboard lights up with error messages about brake issues. Luckily, I could clear the messages and drive the truck and all was fine except for a couple of lights stayed on telling me to take it to the dealer. After several calls to dealers and to Hennessey it turns out that the error was because the big brake kit needs more brake fluid than stock however the computer on the truck thinks it is getting too much brake fluid and starts throwing codes. There was an issue where the truck did not realize that the truck had larger braked requiring more fluid. The POTENTIAL fix was to change a sensor. Ford said they would pay for it. BUT it turns out that the sensor change fix was already tried at the dealership I bought the truck from....which obviously didnt fix it. Turns out that the owner traded it in not because he was getting a Raptor, but because they could not fix this issue and the dealer did not disclose any of this to me. Now, I do understand part of it was my fault - I should have gotten records before I bought it but, in the end, I have a truck that is not functional.

The sort of happy ending was that Hennessey covered the cost to remove the upgraded brakes and go back to stock, I just had to wait 6 weeks for the parts to get in.

So that is why they don't offer a big brake option anymore, even though there is some marketing material out there still that shows the big brake kit on some of their older rides....they are all now back to stock.

Ford Bronco Tune vs Hennessey IMG-7748.JPG

That's the vehicle! Amazing! So from first hand experience, is the package worth it (removing the brake snafu of course)?

OP
OP
Agswin

Agswin

First Edition
First Name
Ardi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Hennessey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I would say that it is worth it for the standard Bronco as you get a lot more power and a lot more parts for the price, but for the Raptor all you get is an Upgraded Heat Exchanger and a tune (plus the same cosmetic parts)

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would say that it is worth it for the standard Bronco as you get a lot more power and a lot more parts for the price, but for the Raptor all you get is an Upgraded Heat Exchanger and a tune (plus the same cosmetic parts)
You can spend 2K on parts and actually get a 2.7L Bronco that will do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. Ask me how I know 😁 Hennessey made that claim and never could back it up.

Anyway, I absolutely would not spend 15K on a new Intercooler and a tune. Intercoolers cost under 1K and a tune will be about the same. HP Tuners and SCT have already cracked the PCM, so plenty of tuners will be able to work their magic soon enough. That said, you can kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

HP Tuners and SCT have already cracked the PCM, so plenty of tuners will be able to work their magic soon enough. That said, you can kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye.
Your sure HP and SCT have cracked the PCM? Whipple has a "full" tune with "blessed" (encryption key from FMC) access from FMC. Maybe HP and/or SCT are replacing the PCM to gain access?

FMC said the Bronco is practically uncrackable or something along those lines.
Sponsored

Last edited: