First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would bet that Ford could/would/can provide a factory 91 tune that WHEN installed by a dealer, would result in at least a 50/50 hp/torque increase.
For those in the KNOW, my question would be:
If the dealer did this, could they trace, and therefore negate a factory warranty if the computer recorded knocking, (indicating the use of less than the recommended octane fuel) AND damage actually occurred? To me this would be acceptable as only some kind of dumbass would buy a tune then put cheap gas in their 40-50K vehicle, knowing it would negate the waranty and possibly damage their vehicle.
That said, I am not interested in installing ANY tune that would damage the engine AND was not covered by the factory warranty.
BTW I mentioned 91 tune only because Kalifornia does not routinely sell any gas over 91 octane.
Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would bet that Ford could/would/can provide a factory 91 tune that WHEN installed by a dealer, would result in at least a 50/50 hp/torque increase.
For those in the KNOW, my question would be:
If the dealer did this, could they trace, and therefore negate a factory warranty if the computer recorded knocking, (indicating the use of less than the recommended octane fuel) AND damage actually occurred? To me this would be acceptable as only some kind of dumbass would buy a tune then put cheap gas in their 40-50K vehicle, knowing it would negate the waranty and possibly damage their vehicle.
That said, I am not interested in installing ANY tune that would damage the engine AND was not covered by the factory warranty.
BTW I mentioned 91 tune only because Kalifornia does not routinely sell any gas over 91 octane.
Dealers can detect if a tune was installed and removed. Not sure if they can detect other parameters, such as knocking. They've been able to do this for years. Back in 2015, FCA was able to detect I replaced the headlights on my Wrangler before they physically saw that I had replaced them with LED headlights.

I'm sure FORD will have a tune available just like they do with the Mustang and Ranger, through FORD performance, that has a 3yr/36K warranty behind it.

Last edited:

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With a 93 octane tune alone they have gotten about 60hp and 100ft/lb of torque out of the 2.7l. Add a new Cold Air Intake, Intercooler, and Exhaust system can get that up another 30-50hp and 50-75 ft/lbs. Upgrade the turbos and you can push 600hp and 650 ft.lbs. Seriously though, spend $2k+ on a catch can, cold air intake, intercooler, and exhaust system for a quick and easy upgrade that actually adds reliability and mpg's to your engine.
The new 2.7L engine has both direct and port injection. So, are Catch Cans still useful on the new 2.7?

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow that is exciting stuff 350hp and the bronco would fly.

Sponsored

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dealers can detect if a tune was installed and removed. Not sure if they can detect other parameters, such as knocking. They've been able to do this for years. Back in 2015, FCA was able to detect I replaced the headlights on my Wrangler before they physically saw that I had replaced them with LED headlights.

I'm sure FORD will have a tune available just like they do with the Mustang and Ranger, through FORD performance, that has a 3yr/36K warranty behind it.
Yes that what I hope for, a Ford factory tune. I know that engine can easily make more power

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What type of tuner you using?

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not as much as on the 2.3L but they can help.
The purpose of a catch can or air/ oil separation system is to get the oil out of the intake track which is detrimental to fuel octane performance. It degrades the fuel mix effectively lowering the octane rating and inducing knock. They have been in use on both N/A and turbo cars for years. Well before direct injection. Carbon buildup from direct injection is better handled with the added port injection to keep some fuel washing over the valves to aid in their cleaning. Ford offered catch cans through Ford performance for my 2017 GT350 which is just port injection.
Sponsored