Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey folks,

As many of you know, I recently received and installed my Turn Off Road hard top and have been loving it everyday since installing it! :love: You can check out my review post on it by clicking here.

Last week I ordered the Turn Off Road Half Roof Rack (4 door version), and installed it this evening. They also sell a 2 door version as well. I wanted to provide an unbiased review of my thoughts on the install and the product itself - Albeit I've only had it installed for an hour or so. Again, I have zero connection with TOR, and am doing this because I enjoy their products.

The shipping was fast and arrived in less than a week. The product was very well packaged, both inside and out. When you open the box you'll find everything is individually wrapped in foam and shrink wrap - It probably took me 15-20 minutes just to unwrap everything. It was all in perfect condition. As always, check to ensure you have all your hardware before you start. Unfortunately, I was shorted 2 lock washers and 2 flat washers, and that's with double checking everything before throwing it out, and the hardware packaging was not ripped and was well sealed shut. I had enough bolts thankfully.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4856

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4857

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4858

Once unwrapped, I started watching the install video by TOR. It's very well done, and I simply played it on my iPad and paused it along the way. I am not a handy person at all, however I found this installation fairly easy but I wanted to share some tips and some issues I ran into along the way.

First off, in the video they explain sticking these foam pads on by cutting them. However they updated this, and provide full coverage pads, which is great to see. They are self explanatory on how they go on, but I've provided a picture just in case. I ran my fingers along the edges to ensure it was tucked in perfectly, and well adhered all around.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4860

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4861

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4862

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4863

When installing everything, follow the videos instructions and do it finger tight to start. I installed everything and noticed that there was a pretty bad overhang on the back of the Bronco. This is very likely a non-issue with a standard MIC top, as the slanted back TOR hard top loses a couple of inches. Simple fix - Just slide it forward a bit, and then tighten it all down. I've shown a comparison below of it overhanging in the back, then correcting it. The rear glass clears the half rack no problem!

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4865

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4866

One important thing as you're going along: Make sure the two cross member pieces are in the right spot/right direction! This was a major pain point for me. I had the front in properly, but the rear cross member I had to flip around. You'll know immediately when you put the side piece up, and the two bolt holes won't both line up. Do a quick check if you want before you place it on the vehicle - It'll save you some frustration.

One quick tip: They provide locking washers and flat washers, but I put a tiny bit of blue thread locker on each bolt just to be safe. Took me a bit longer, but I feel better having it on there as an extra layer of keeping the bolts in place long term.

I also took it for a quick drive around - The maximum I got up to was 80 km/hour, and zero wind noise. Didn't hear a thing, and I had my music turned off!

And here's the final look once it's complete - My apologies it got dark out, so I had to find a lit parking lot :ROFLMAO:

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4867

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4868

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4869

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4871

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4873

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review IMG_4874

Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions! Thanks @Turn Offroad & @TURN Todd for another awesome product and outstanding customer service!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kjbeggs

Outer Banks
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks great!

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great!
Thanks. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and the lower profile doesn't impact me parking in my garage and I think it suits the look of my build really well. Some other options out there I didn't think would look as good.

And this thing is built like a tank - Seems VERY sturdy!

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fits perfectly! The ability to shift it forward a bit really made it blend.

I really want a trip report with a laden Bronco.
Yeah the shift forward made a significant improvement.

Laden? Don’t use your fancy words with me. There’s only so many bottles of maple syrup one can put up there!

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dont like the fact that they dont tell you anything else about any expected date of their product.

I still think those $5000 ish hardtops are ridiculous in price. Need the options that is around $2000. Where is China when you neeed them lol. All of their broncos have hardtops.

But otherwise congrats and enjoy!

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dont like the fact that they dont tell you anything else about any expected date of their product.

I still think those $5000 ish hardtops are ridiculous in price. Need the options that is around $2000. Where is China when you neeed them lol. All of their broncos have hardtops.

Huh? TOR has been more open, honest, and direct with their communication than anyone else. I think you might be confusing them with a different vendor.

A $2k hard top would be nice, but you get what you pay for. You’ll likely never find one for that price - the demand is very high right now.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Huh? TOR has been more open, honest, and direct with their communication than anyone else. I think you might be confusing them with a different vendor.

A $2k hard top would be nice, but you get what you pay for. You’ll likely never find one for that price - the demand is very high right now.
I am not confused. This is the best option right now because everyone else, including Ford, is slacking and failing to deliver the promises. I only know this compnay you posted since a recent promotional video. But they are not able to provide any details on ordering or a date after the initial sale. Perhaps it is just the nature of small scale manufacturing, but selfishly as a comsumer, I wish there are abundant of supply for all of us, cheaply.

I am just an average buyer and I have no interests in pre-ordering those large dollar item from third party with no OEM-like warranties. Coming from international trade and manufacturing background, i do not agree with "You get what you paid for" to a degree. I think it is also partly marketing gimmick and consumerism mineset. Many of us soft top owners look at those high-priced items is because they are the only one available and some of us just need something sufficient. I firmly believe the best product should dominate the market as a free capitalist should and it pains me to see that lots of people paid large dollars on other vendors are stuck waiting, similar to the hardtop conversion shennanigans, which I heard is improving as you can order OEM hardtop soon.

But regardless for the essay, congrats on the purchase and insights for all of us. The more information there is, the better. There is nothing against this product, just overall sentiment on why many of us are now forced on those options.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks absolutely great! TOR is a stone's throw away from where I'm at, and I'm highly considering one + the half rack once the 2 door version rolls out.

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah the shift forward made a significant improvement.

Laden? Don’t use your fancy words with me. There’s only so many bottles of maple syrup one can put up there!

lol

Throw some gear on there and share more pix.
Any added wind noise so far?

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lol

Throw some gear on there and share more pix.
Any added wind noise so far?
No, I only drove it for a brief period last night and got up to about 80 km/hr and zero wind noise. I even turned off my music to listen. I'm sure it's a combination of the TOR hard top being well insulated and the design of the half rack.

I'm going to try and test it more on the highway later tonight.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Give it a few years for the pricing to come back to earth. I'll consider one when my soft top finally bites the dust.

Footer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great, good luck with it !

Plus, price point is very reasonable compared to some others

OP
OP
604Bronco

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just for additional clarity, the below picture shows the rear cross member incorrectly installed the first time. The nut insert should be closer to the rear of the vehicle, thus I needed to unbolt and flip it around.

Knowing this would have saved me quite a bit of time, as I had already started to bolt up the side pieces.

Ford Bronco Turn Offroad Half Roof Rack + TOR Hard Top - Installation & Review Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 9.49.17 AM
Sponsored