Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Reut,

it would be helpful to make some clarification/suggestions regarding the LCA skid plates.
Are the supplied M12 nuts to be tightened to 117Nm or 90Nm (as the Ford manual suggests ?) Some people rather are ordering Ford nuts after a mishap.
Also, if you can maybe comment on the creaking..maybe just ship it with delrin washers?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ASFIR 4x4

ASFIR 4x4

Outer Banks
First Name
Reut
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.asfir.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV, Toyota Land-Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Reut,

it would be helpful to make some clarification/suggestions regarding the LCA skid plates.
Are the supplied M12 nuts to be tightened to 117Nm or 90Nm (as the Ford manual suggests ?) Some people rather are ordering Ford nuts after a mishap.
Also, if you can maybe comment on the creaking..maybe just ship it with delrin washers?
Hey, the tourque was updated to 90Nm. Thanks @Stonetree for the feedback.
As for the creaking - I asked with customers in Israel and they didn't experience it. We're trying to learn it and see where it comes from.

Best,
Reut @ ASFIR

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will you offer steel skid plates? With all the off road bashing I do I need steel for the extra protection. Here's an example of how I bashed my front skid on a rock last month
Screenshot_20220117-080740_Photos.jpg
My steel powder coated RCI plates should be arriving any day now. I initially wanted aluminum for the weight saving but after seeing several reviews of aluminum (like yours, assuming that is a aluminum powder coated rci plate) I decided the additional weight is warranted for the added strength. Based on all the research I have done...aluminum does not come close to steel in terms of strength. Even though the websites offering aluminum skids will say things like "2/3 the strength of steel with half the weight" the personal reviews claim otherwise. There are several really good YouTube videos showing the difference in strength. I think it's all comes down to your use cases at the end of the day.

OP
OP
ASFIR 4x4

ASFIR 4x4

Outer Banks
First Name
Reut
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.asfir.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My steel powder coated RCI plates should be arriving any day now. I initially wanted aluminum for the weight saving but after seeing several reviews of aluminum (like yours, assuming that is a aluminum powder coated rci plate) I decided the additional weight is warranted for the added strength. Based on all the research I have done...aluminum does not come close to steel in terms of strength. Even though the websites offering aluminum skids will say things like "2/3 the strength of steel with half the weight" the personal reviews claim otherwise. There are several really good YouTube videos showing the difference in strength. I think it's all comes down to your use cases at the end of the day.
You're more than welcome to read our article about Aluminum VS Steel :)
https://www.asfir.com/blog/post/steel-vs-aluminum

Best,
Max @ ASFIR

bobogto

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M5
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry if this was already covered, but I couldn't find info. Fuel tank plate is listed as AUTO trans only. I might not be aware, but I don't think the fuel tank is different between AUTO and Manual transmission, but I might be missing something. I have a 21 Big Bend Manual 4 door. Will the supposed automatic fuel tank skid plate fit my proper version?

Sponsored
OP
OP
ASFIR 4x4

ASFIR 4x4

Outer Banks
First Name
Reut
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.asfir.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry if this was already covered, but I couldn't find info. Fuel tank plate is listed as AUTO trans only. I might not be aware, but I don't think the fuel tank is different between AUTO and Manual transmission, but I might be missing something. I have a 21 Big Bend Manual 4 door. Will the supposed automatic fuel tank skid plate fit my proper version?

We sincerely apologize for any confusion caused by the oversight on our website. It appears that the manual transmission option for your 2021 Big Bend 4 Door was inadvertently omitted.

After revisiting the details, we can confirm that the Ford Bronco fuel tank skid plate is indeed compatible with your manual transmission version as well. The compatibility information has been updated accordingly.

You can now confidently proceed with your purchase, knowing that the fuel tank skid plate will fit your vehicle perfectly.

Should you have any further questions or require assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we appreciate your understanding.

Best regards,

Max from @ASFIR 4x4

bobogto

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M5
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Aluminum is soft. That doesn't mean that it's not strong. It will probably take big impacts and hits even better than steel, but if you are planning on jacking up the whole vehicle on said aluminum plate... Yeah it will probably buckle compared to steel. It just depends, at the end of the day, like everything. There is no one size fits all. For specific applications you will need specific items.

In my case these will be great. Unlike everyone else these have an option for the plastic bumper. I'm fine with my bumper for what I do. Everyone else required the modular bumper, which I don't feel like I wanna pay for currently. Then I live in the salt belt. Other than trying to limit the metal to aluminum contact, aluminum fairs much better with salt around here. And lastly I don't do rock crawling, I do only once in a while off-roading for that matter even. So I don't need super strong steel. I use my vehicle mostly for a daily driver. A bit of a weight savings will be a bonus, although I don't think at the end of the day aluminum will save you that much more.

bobogto

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M5
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We sincerely apologize for any confusion caused by the oversight on our website. It appears that the manual transmission option for your 2021 Big Bend 4 Door was inadvertently omitted.

After revisiting the details, we can confirm that the Ford Bronco fuel tank skid plate is indeed compatible with your manual transmission version as well. The compatibility information has been updated accordingly.

You can now confidently proceed with your purchase, knowing that the fuel tank skid plate will fit your vehicle perfectly.

Should you have any further questions or require assistance, please feel free to reach out.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we appreciate your understanding.

Best regards,

Max from @ASFIR 4x4
Already did. You look to have a very nice product. Keep up the good work. I mean I will confirm when it gets here, but... :)

Extra question. Do you, or anyone that has already gotten their product know if there will be an import DUTY on these products from Israel? I'm not sure what the financial situation is between Israel and the USA.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aluminum is soft. That doesn't mean that it's not strong. It will probably take big impacts and hits even better than steel, but if you are planning on jacking up the whole vehicle on said aluminum plate... Yeah it will probably buckle compared to steel. It just depends, at the end of the day, like everything. There is no one size fits all. For specific applications you will need specific items.

In my case these will be great. Unlike everyone else these have an option for the plastic bumper. I'm fine with my bumper for what I do. Everyone else required the modular bumper, which I don't feel like I wanna pay for currently. Then I live in the salt belt. Other than trying to limit the metal to aluminum contact, aluminum fairs much better with salt around here. And lastly I don't do rock crawling, I do only once in a while off-roading for that matter even. So I don't need super strong steel. I use my vehicle mostly for a daily driver. A bit of a weight savings will be a bonus, although I don't think at the end of the day aluminum will save you that much more.
Idk about that. Everything I have read pretty much state and prove that aluminum is going to get torn up if your actual getting offroad. It literally peels like butter the moment a rock touches it. If everything your doing is flat, then its a no brainer. You dont need anything. If your ever currently hitting your bottom. Like I am. Then i dont even want to mess with something that is simply going to give in and bend under light pressure. Like he says in the video. If your doing fire roads/flat trails then aluminum is fine. Otherwise steel.

bobogto

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M5
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Idk about that. Everything I have read pretty much state and prove that aluminum is going to get torn up if your actual getting offroad. It literally peels like butter the moment a rock touches it. If everything your doing is flat, then its a no brainer. You dont need anything. If your ever currently hitting your bottom. Like I am. Then i dont even want to mess with something that is simply going to give in and bend under light pressure. Like he says in the video. If your doing fire roads/flat trails then aluminum is fine. Otherwise steel.
Again it's not that simple. It really depends on the situation and material used. There is some pretty strong aluminum out there and some pretty shitty steel out there. Fatigue is also a consideration. Over time, like I said in my case with salt, rust might weaken steel that aluminum is not that susceptible. In certain conditions steel might crack and tear welds as where aluminum might bend and still be able to provide protection...
Again it's not that cut and dry. I'm not saying aluminum is better or steel is better. It just depends.

Sponsored

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Again it's not that simple. It really depends on the situation and material used. There is some pretty strong aluminum out there and some pretty shitty steel out there. Fatigue is also a consideration. Over time, like I said in my case with salt, rust might weaken steel that aluminum is not that susceptible. In certain conditions steel might crack and tear welds as where aluminum might bend and still be able to provide protection...
Again it's not that cut and dry. I'm not saying aluminum is better or steel is better. It just depends.
Exactly. Everyone has different circumstances and needs. Each persons thought process/reasons are going to be different. Totally. For me, rust was a strong considerations that got me really thinking. In the end I decided that by the time the steel rusts (several years), I'll be replacing them with new ones. Yes, it's heavier. But then I thought its all weight down low (where you want it) and ontop of the aluminum weight its about another 70lbs, not that bad. I had aluminum in my shopping cart up until the last minute.

OP
OP
ASFIR 4x4

ASFIR 4x4

Outer Banks
First Name
Reut
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.asfir.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Exactly. Everyone has different circumstances and needs. Each persons thought process/reasons are going to be different. Totally. For me, rust was a strong considerations that got me really thinking. In the end I decided that by the time the steel rusts (several years), I'll be replacing them with new ones. Yes, it's heavier. But then I thought its all weight down low (where you want it) and ontop of the aluminum weight its about another 70lbs, not that bad. I had aluminum in my shopping cart up until the last minute.

Thank you for sharing your perspective on the choice between steel and aluminum skid plates. You've raised some valid points, and it's important to highlight that the choice between these materials truly depends on individual usage and driving habits.

When it comes to off-road activities like rock crawling, steel skid plates do offer advantages due to their exceptional durability and resistance to extreme impacts. They can effectively withstand the harsh conditions encountered during rigorous off-roading adventures.

However, it's worth noting that aluminum skid plates have their unique merits, especially in scenarios where shock absorption and flexibility are essential factors. Aluminum's ability to act as a shock absorber can significantly reduce the transfer of shocks to the chassis, ultimately preserving the integrity of your vehicle's frame and components.

Another noteworthy advantage of aluminum skid plates is their malleability. In the event of an impact that causes bending, aluminum can often be bent back into shape relatively easily, allowing for cost-effective repairs and maintenance.

In essence, the choice between steel and aluminum skid plates should be guided by your specific off-roading requirements and driving preferences.

Ultimately, both materials have their rightful place in the world of off-roading, each offering distinct advantages. We appreciate your input and encourage you to select the option that aligns best with your particular off-road experiences.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance in making your decision, please feel free to reach out. We're here to help you make an informed choice.

Happy off-roading!

Best regards,

Max @ASFIR 4x4

OP
OP
ASFIR 4x4

ASFIR 4x4

Outer Banks
First Name
Reut
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.asfir.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Already did. You look to have a very nice product. Keep up the good work. I mean I will confirm when it gets here, but... :)

Extra question. Do you, or anyone that has already gotten their product know if there will be an import DUTY on these products from Israel? I'm not sure what the financial situation is between Israel and the USA.

Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing our product. We're thrilled to hear that you're pleased with your purchase even before it arrives!

Regarding your question about import duties, we're here to provide you with some reassuring information. There is no import duty on products imported from Israel to the USA. The United States and Israel maintain a strong trade relationship, and many products are exempt from customs duties under the U.S.-Israel Free Trade Agreement.

However, please keep in mind that trade regulations and agreements can evolve over time, so it's always a good practice to double-check with the customs authorities or relevant government agencies closer to the time of your shipment's arrival for the most up-to-date information.

We hope this helps alleviate any concerns you may have had. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. We're here to ensure your experience with our product is as smooth as possible.

Once again, thank you for your support, and we look forward to delivering a quality product to you.

Warm regards,

Max @ASFIR 4x4

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For my specific use the corrosion resistance and weight reduction are more important than ultimate strength. I haven’t swapped out my OEM skids yet, but when I do I’ll be going with aluminum.

I used to live in AZ and rock crawl extensively with my 87 Bronco. I had a steel perimeter frame with a 1/4” aluminum skid plate under the large rock anchor of a fuel tank. That plate was dropped on rocks all over AZ and UT, it was scarred with gouges but held up fine.

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for sharing your perspective on the choice between steel and aluminum skid plates. You've raised some valid points, and it's important to highlight that the choice between these materials truly depends on individual usage and driving habits.

When it comes to off-road activities like rock crawling, steel skid plates do offer advantages due to their exceptional durability and resistance to extreme impacts. They can effectively withstand the harsh conditions encountered during rigorous off-roading adventures.

However, it's worth noting that aluminum skid plates have their unique merits, especially in scenarios where shock absorption and flexibility are essential factors. Aluminum's ability to act as a shock absorber can significantly reduce the transfer of shocks to the chassis, ultimately preserving the integrity of your vehicle's frame and components.

Another noteworthy advantage of aluminum skid plates is their malleability. In the event of an impact that causes bending, aluminum can often be bent back into shape relatively easily, allowing for cost-effective repairs and maintenance.

In essence, the choice between steel and aluminum skid plates should be guided by your specific off-roading requirements and driving preferences.

Ultimately, both materials have their rightful place in the world of off-roading, each offering distinct advantages. We appreciate your input and encourage you to select the option that aligns best with your particular off-road experiences.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance in making your decision, please feel free to reach out. We're here to help you make an informed choice.

Happy off-roading!

Best regards,

Max @ASFIR 4x4
Never even thought of that, shock absorption. Great point. I can definitely see scenarios in where "give" would be favored as opposed to a solid "hit" and possibly damaging other parts. I could always try the steel out first and then aluminum on my next set. Im currently in SoCal so rust was not a big factor but I am considering moving to the midwest and rust will be a huge factor then as everything is salted in the winters. Switching to aluminum might be in the cards. Thanks again for the great write up!!!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.