Sponsored

UPDATE: Great day in Moab until my Bronco broke down (Overheating)

OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know any vehicle can overheat but I was under the impression that modern vehicles would be able to limp home and shut off cylinders to act as an air pump to keep the engine cool for a bit with obviously reduced power. I know my father's 2004 F150 5.4 v8 has this because I read it in the owner's manual.

I would also have disconnected the battery to reset it, also changing GOAT modes seems to have helped a when I had an electrical hiccup.
This failsafe mode did work for a while, until it gets too hot and then you have to stop. So we used this and we waited for it to cool in intervals, and made it back to the pavement at least.

I didn't try disconnecting the battery, but I did change goat modes and 4WD modes.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bummer! Overheating is no fun anywhere but certainly not in the outback. It sounds like everything was cold so how did you know it was overheating? Cluster message? I know there's an electric water pump but I was thinking that was for the HVAC rather than for the engine cooling. I'm sure @flip can help solve this one.
At first the fan was freaking out, and then the coolant temp gauge went up to maximum, and then the warning message popped up. Then we would let it sit for a while, and then drive for a while. And it started doing the failsafe thing with the cylinder alternation, and that was pretty cool, but eventually the failsafe just turns the engine off before any damage can be done

OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Almost sounds like you lost the belt or something. Assuming it's a 2.7L, there are two belts from what I recall, one that drives the alternator by itself, and another that drives the AC compressor and water pump. Seeing as how you were driving in snow, I doubt you would've noticed the AC not working, but you did notice that it wasn't circulating coolant. There's an auxiliary electric water pump for cooling the transmission heat exchanger, but I think that loop bypasses the belt driven pump and engine. In the old days it was pretty obvious when you lost a serpentine belt because everything would die...power steering, AC, alternator, and water pump all at once, and even then you often wouldn't notice until you tried to steer at slow speed, or the AC quit blowing cold air, or saw that your coolant temps were going up fast.

All of the belts were intact. I guess it's possible I missed something. We'll see once the dealership can get to it.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

All of the belts were intact. I guess it's possible I missed something. We'll see once the dealership can get to it.
Hmm, I guess my money is on a sheared impeller shaft or faulty thermostat then. I wonder if the thermostat is connected to the CANBUS and would throw a code if it's not working correctly.

Reactions: OX1

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Usually thermostat is at the top of engine hose going to top of radiatior sometimes you can un hook hose and poke thermostat if its stuck .

Sponsored
OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hmm, I guess my money is on a sheared impeller shaft or faulty thermostat then. I wonder if the thermostat is connected to the CANBUS and would throw a code if it's not working correctly.
i don't have the car with me now because it's at a dealership about 200 miles away, but looking at pictures of the impeller now, based on my memory, that all looked totally fine.

Everything was sealed up perfectly with no steam or smoke or any leaks at all.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i don't have the car with me now because it's at a dealership about 200 miles away, but looking at pictures of the impeller now, based on my memory, that all looked totally fine.

Everything was sealed up perfectly with no steam or smoke or any leaks at all.
You can't see the impeller w/the water pump installed, you would have had to remove it

OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can't see the impeller w/the water pump installed, you would have had to remove it
Oh, got it. And if the impeller had broken off, wouldn't there be some sign of that? Leaks or steam or something?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh, got it. And if the impeller had broken off, wouldn't there be some sign of that? Leaks or steam or something?
I have seen it happen on other vehicles...it's rare but it does happen. No leaks, just gets hot...and fast. w/no water flow the engine is just cooking the coolant in place. If you get it too hot then it will vent steam, but it sounds like the engine computer prevented that, along w/you taking cool down breaks

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Usually thermostat is at the top of engine hose going to top of radiatior sometimes you can un hook hose and poke thermostat if its stuck .
Does the Bronco still use an old school pellet style thermostat? Or at least, I wonder if the thermostat can be easily removed on a trail, in case it fails to open for whatever reason. You might lose some coolant removing the thermostat, but could still get home ok.

I once had a thermostat fail to open on a road trip. We let the engine cool, removed the thermostat, and carried on our way (added some water later). But maybe a modern Bronco is not that simple?

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oops, will fix with 2.7...

#7 on this image and looks like a regular old t-stat.
Ford Bronco UPDATE: Great day in Moab until my Bronco broke down (Overheating) Screenshot_20230206-160857_Adobe Acrobat

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about the fuse?