Sponsored

Upgrade HOSS 3.0 to ICON Stage 5 - Worth it?

ralexander1211

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wildtrak 4dr, '12 911 GTS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'd like to lift my 2023 Wildtrak and add 37" tires. I want to make sure I don't jeopardize any components (I read that lifting the "wrong" way will break something) because I do off-road with a little crawling.

Is this ICON Stage 5 a great solution? What else should I be comparing to?
Sponsored

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Caleb@PandaMotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sure is! Icon makes good stuff. Their kits are pretty all encompassing. The stage 5 kit gets you the coilovers with external reservoirs, while also including upgraded UCA and rear lower links, so that takes care of your 2 weakest points when lifting. You will have no problem doing some pretty serious crawling with this kit.

As mentioned above, the Fabtech kit is pretty comparable. Although I do lean a little more toward Icon

Id be happy to answer any other questions you have, and help save you some $$ on a setup!

OP
OP
ralexander1211

ralexander1211

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What about the Zone kit for HOSS 3.0? I just added this, and the max tire kit to clear 37's. I do not yet have 37's, but this lift works well, no difference in the ride I can tell.

https://zoneoffroad.com/products/22...co-hoss-30-models-only?variant=41615310782552
I’ve believed those are what cause tie rods to break by compromising the stock geometry. Am I wrong there? I do off-road so I don’t want to find myself stranded because of some thing like that.

Sponsored

Midnight_Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No. You just paid an extra $21k over the base price for a Wildtrak. Throw away you Wildtrak components and you just paid $21k plus replacement costs for the Wildtrak sticker.

RobWTX

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve believed those are what cause tie rods to break by compromising the stock geometry. Am I wrong there? I do off-road so I don’t want to find myself stranded because of some thing like that.
I have read several others use this kit and use it off road without issues. I think if you go too high, then yes, it compromises components. At a certain point, you need to drop the front diff to keep the right angles.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bad geometry that puts the tie rod/CV at awkward angles, combined with some stressing articulation/binding (like big tires that slide into a rock or too much droop) break tie rods.

IMO, stay under 2" and try to keep the same geometry. The Bilstein 6100's would do that for you, for instance, while managing the droop.

Or, you could get a body lift and not touch your shocks. They're cheap and if all you need is room the bigger tire, probably just fine. The Foxes on your WT are pretty nice.

Also consider the JKS Max Tire Kit or the SFR crash bar delete.

If you can keep the suspension geometry within a similar range, you're really more at risk of an axle or CV issue, due to the weight and other differences. The axles and diffs are really setup best for 35's.

MyDogGoldie

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L BD 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am happy with the ride of my 37"s on ICON suspension lift kit. I can't compare it to just putting a good spacer kit (even ICON makes one). The 37"s are heavy though, and I am sure that having the extra dampening control of the big shocks helps.

I would ask around and see how happy people are adding spacers to the Wildtrack suspension. The ICON does do a good job tho, but lots of $$$.

Sponsored

Y2KFirehawk

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No. You just paid an extra $21k over the base price for a Wildtrak. Throw away you Wildtrak components and you just paid $21k plus replacement costs for the Wildtrak sticker.
I'd counter that they could recoup some monies in selling the HOSS 3.0 shocks. (Put me in line to buy from OP LOL!) I'll also add that model choices can also be driven by interior color preferences, as was my case. (Arguably not financially wise, but...)

OP
OP
ralexander1211

ralexander1211

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am happy with the ride of my 37"s on ICON suspension lift kit. I can't compare it to just putting a good spacer kit (even ICON makes one). The 37"s are heavy though, and I am sure that having the extra dampening control of the big shocks helps.

I would ask around and see how happy people are adding spacers to the Wildtrack suspension. The ICON does do a good job tho, but lots of $$$.
I'd counter that they could recoup some monies in selling the HOSS 3.0 shocks. (Put me in line to buy from OP LOL!) I'll also add that model choices can also be driven by interior color preferences, as was my case. (Arguably not financially wise, but...)
you’re not wrong. If I could go back 6 months I’d do it differently but no sunk cost fallacies here

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a couple grand worth of suspension for most not a big deal to upgrade. You still have the better axles,steering, transfer case and interior. A good Icon system will out perform stock any day.

Last edited:

Midnight_Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s a couple grand worth of suspension for most not a big deal to upgrade. You still have the better axles,steering, transfer case and interior. A good Icon system will out perform stock any day.
You’re looking at $12k in parts just for the Icon Stage 5 alone. That’s 25% of what I paid for my entire Bronco.

Let’s be honest, this is not a smart move. If you’re going to drop dime like that on mods, start with a base Badlands for $10k less than a Wildtrak and you get an electronic sway bar, metal rear bumper, washout floors, etc.

Never mind the fact that your warranty just went out the window and best-case scenario is you won’t notice a difference at all in ride quality.

All of that trouble and money just for a lift and Wildtrak sticker lol.

OP
OP
ralexander1211

ralexander1211

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You’re looking at $12k in parts just for the Icon Stage 5 alone. That’s 25% of what I paid for my entire Bronco.

Let’s be honest, this is not a smart move. If you’re going to drop dime like that on mods, start with a base Badlands for $10k less than a Wildtrak and you get an electronic sway bar, metal rear bumper, washout floors, etc.

Never mind the fact that your warranty just went out the window and best-case scenario is you won’t notice a difference at all in ride quality.

All of that trouble and money just for a lift and Wildtrak sticker lol.
Now you’re just making up numbers. It’s $6k
Sponsored