Sponsored

Urban Sasquatch daily driver sanity check!

PlayTime

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2dr 2.3L OBX non-SAS Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Any anecdotes or comments to share.

I have a handle on a 4 door, Manual trans, but not committed yet.
Urban environment, Mixed 45mph surface streets and 65mph+ freeways

Yes, I've driven 3 pedals since I first learned in the late 70's, rowing the box is my happy place.
Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People drive manuals in the city (although a lot less than in the past cuz these younger generations don’t know how) all the time. Mustangs and other similar vehicles still out there. I say do it if you like the feel of the manual. I do like the feel of a manual in a performance car over the automatic, last manual I drove that wasn’t a performance car, was a Ford F150 but it was mainly out in the country .

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Goodyears are loud on our grooved concrete freeways but it is nice having all that sidewall for the potholes.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is it the 2.3 or 2.7? I have a 2.3 manual with the 33” Badlands wheels/KO2s which I believe weigh about the same as the 35” Goodyears on Sas package wheels. I keep my revs down around 2,000 at all times to keep the turbo boost to a minimum and I get roughly 20mpgs combined on 93 (running Ford performance tune). 23 mpg cruising at 70mph on freeway and about 19 mpg around town. Bronco manual is amazing, shifts like a Corolla.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PlayTime

PlayTime

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is it the 2.3 or 2.7? I have a 2.3 manual with the 33” Badlands wheels/KO2s which I believe weigh about the same as the 35” Goodyears on Sas package wheels. I keep my revs down around 2,000 at all times to keep the turbo boost to a minimum and I get roughly 20mpgs combined on 93 (running Ford performance tune). 23 mpg cruising at 70mph on freeway and about 19 mpg around town. Bronco manual is amazing, shifts like a Corolla.
Good to hear about the shifting, being an off-road setup I was worried that it might be industrial and clunky!

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good to hear about the shifting, being an off-road setup I was worried that it might be industrial and clunky!
I had a 2017 Tacoma manual before the Bronco… the Tacoma shifted like a complete tractor compared to the Bronco’s transmission. Be warned though, one of the major known issues with the Bronco manual is excessive rattle noise when the weather falls below about 50 degrees. It is majorly annoying - there is a super long thread on this site if you want to research it. Ford still does not have a real fix for it yet. You probably won’t be able to tell if yours is affected if it won’t be cold when you pick it up which sucks.

OP
OP
PlayTime

PlayTime

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had a 2017 Tacoma manual before the Bronco… the Tacoma shifted like a complete tractor compared to the Bronco’s transmission. Be warned though, one of the major known issues with the Bronco manual is excessive rattle noise when the weather falls below about 50 degrees. It is majorly annoying - there is a super long thread on this site if you want to research it. Ford still does not have a real fix for it yet. You probably won’t be able to tell if yours is affected if it won’t be cold when you pick it up which sucks.
I've been following that thread - it's a big reason why I'm not committed to an order now, but keeping my options open. The Taco news is also kind of distressing because the next 4Runner is based on that.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

People drive manuals in the city (although a lot less than in the past cuz these younger generations don’t know how) all the time. Mustangs and other similar vehicles still out there. I say do it if you like the feel of the manual. I do like the feel of a manual in a performance car over the automatic, last manual I drove that wasn’t a performance car, was a Ford F150 but it was mainly out in the country .
Funny I taught all four of my kids to drive a manual. these days the 30 year old and the 27 year old drive automatics while the 25 year old and 23 year old drive manuals...

Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been following that thread - it's a big reason why I'm not committed to an order now, but keeping my options open. The Taco news is also kind of distressing because the next 4Runner is based on that.
If they offer the new 4Runner in a manual I’d be tempted but after seeing how they priced the new Tacoma I doubt I’ll have much interest either way. I thought they would make the 4Runner a true Bronco/Wrangler competitor this time around since they launched the mid sized Landcruiser. Seems like overlap to me and the prices will have to be pretty similar. Kind of like them having the hybrid rav4 and Venza… basically the same vehicle in their own lineup. One sells great the other doesn’t sell at all lol

OP
OP
PlayTime

PlayTime

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If they offer the new 4Runner in a manual I’d be tempted but after seeing how they priced the new Tacoma I doubt I’ll have much interest either way. I thought they would make the 4Runner a true Bronco/Wrangler competitor this time around since they launched the mid sized Landcruiser. Seems like overlap to me and the prices will have to be pretty similar. Kind of like them having the hybrid rav4 and Venza… basically the same vehicle in their own lineup. One sells great the other doesn’t sell at all lol
The next 4runner has a manual, they say, but the full reveal isn't until a few more days. I'm watching that, too...

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any anecdotes or comments to share.

I have a handle on a 4 door, Manual trans, but not committed yet.
Urban environment, Mixed 45mph surface streets and 65mph+ freeways

Yes, I've driven 3 pedals since I first learned in the late 70's, rowing the box is my happy place.
I have a manual Badlands Sasquatch 2 door. I absolutely love it, with 25K miles in.

BUT if I lived in the city or if I had a high traffic commute, I would not buy a Bronco, and certainly not one with a stick or Sasquatch. It’s a GREAT vehicle but it sucks in stop and go traffic, and the tires serve no purpose in a city. While some like the big sidewalls for potholes, I find that the stiff suspension and weight of the wheel tire package offer no joy in urban settings. Cloth tops are thief magnets. The hard tops tend to rattle over urban landscapes, but YMMV.

On the plus side if you do go urban Bronco you will love the super tight turning radius for parking, U-turns, and other tighter spots.

Enjoy.

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a manual Badlands Sasquatch 2 door. I absolutely love it, with 25K miles in.

BUT if I lived in the city or if I had a high traffic commute, I would not buy a Bronco, and certainly not one with a stick or Sasquatch. It’s a GREAT vehicle but it sucks in stop and go traffic, and the tires serve no purpose in a city. While some like the big sidewalls for potholes, I find that the stiff suspension and weight of the wheel tire package offer no joy in urban settings. Cloth tops are thief magnets. The hard tops tend to rattle over urban landscapes, but YMMV.

On the plus side if you do go urban Bronco you will love the super tight turning radius for parking, U-turns, and other tighter spots.

Enjoy.
My hard top doesn't make a sound, theres probably something wrong/loose on yours. Might want to give the bolts a once over or have a tech at Ford drive it to make sure it sounds normal.

The only noise mine ever made was a squeak where the rear window seal meets the tailgate which was fixed with a little silicone grease and has been silent ever since.

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My hard top doesn't make a sound, theres probably something wrong/loose on yours. Might want to give the bolts a once over or have a tech at Ford drive it to make sure it sounds normal.

The only noise mine ever made was a squeak where the rear window seal meets the tailgate which was fixed with a little silicone grease and has been silent ever since.
I don’t want to hijack the thread, but in my case it’s the guide pins in the removable panels clicking as the body flexes. Easy to bandaid fix, but it always comes back. There’s a TSB and extensive earlier discussion on the forum, with all sorts of creative solutions. Again…. YMMV.
Sponsored