Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Are you mostly highway driving and stock tires?
Stock tires, about 60/40 split for highway and in town driving.
Sponsored

Reactions: JNY
OP
OP
JNY

JNY

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
For most driving it shouldn't matter and doesn't seem to add enough MPG to offset the cost increase.

But for towing, I think it is probably worthwhile.
I am getting a little over 23 mpg on the highway with stock tires. It changes to 19-20 while driving in the city.

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am getting a little over 23 mpg on the highway with stock tires. It changes to 19-20 while driving in the city.
That's not bad at all.

IDAbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fantastic haha. But how does this actually affect the vehicle's performance? I assume the ECU is looking for a particular octane in order to change fuel maps and get those extra 25 horsepower.
The engine/ECU will generally try to advance timing as far as possible for maximum power, but if the knock sensor detects preignition (due to low-octane fuel), it will begin to retard the timing to eliminate the knock.

Without a knock sensor, the ECU doesn’t know what octane level is in use.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was running 91 for 2-3k miles but moving to 87 I see little performance difference. Mileage hasn't budged either but that it most likely due to the fact that I drive in the hills regularly.

Hey Ford ...where's my TUNE!!!!!!!

Sponsored

Griffstar07

Base
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base, Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Base 2.3, manual, and have only ran premium since I’ve got it. I also prefer to run it in Sport mode as I like the way the computer changes the throttle while shifting. Its my third car, only used on weekends and I have a blast driving it. Mileage is around 21. I got 22.8 on a long highway jaunt, doing 77-82. YMMV.

Trivisual

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 22 big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
BIg Bend auto 2 dr with mid, 93 since new, 3800 later I wont go to reg 87. frequent switching to sport and quick short freeway jaunts, but mostly city yeilds me around 20 mpg. I cant wait until tune times.

sarge450

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 2020 explorer st, 2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have only had mine for little over a week. I have already taken it on a road trip, roughly 1,100 miles. Averaged 19mpg, not great. I was pushing it some to see what it would do. Several hours of city driving, and its not even broke in.

In my experience a turbo motor likes higher octane fuel. So I have only ran 93 in it so far. We have a Explorer ST, the Bronco, and a 5.0 Mustang. Did have a Focus RS with the 2.3. I have always ran 93 in them.

May experiment a little, but I kinda doubt it. Got fuel at a Loves in the Mustang before a Dyno tune, it started having issues at high RPM's.

It not only is the octane, but also where you get it. Some really large chains of gas stations run terrible additives.

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Base 2.3, manual, and have only ran premium since I’ve got it. I also prefer to run it in Sport mode as I like the way the computer changes the throttle while shifting. Its my third car, only used on weekends and I have a blast driving it. Mileage is around 21. I got 22.8 on a long highway jaunt, doing 77-82. YMMV.
my twin

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would bet that running non ethanol fuel would net the best fuel mileage.
Rec 90 (recreational fuel) 90 octane pure gasoline (no corn alcohol) is available near me but I'm too cheap to pay the high price of it.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I run mine on whatever the highest octane I can find. With 285/75R17 tires I’m getting 18.25 mpg hand calculated on highway trips, the computer shows 19.0 mpg. I don’t do enough miles to care about fuel cost, I’m almost to 1000 miles on my Bronco I took delivery of in December 2021. I drive it at least once a week, but things just aren’t far away where I usually take it. I have an employer paid for work truck I run about 25K miles per year.

Jason519

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I run mine on whatever the highest octane I can find. With 285/75R17 tires I’m getting 18.25 mpg hand calculated on highway trips, the computer shows 19.0 mpg. I don’t do enough miles to care about fuel cost, I’m almost to 1000 miles on my Bronco I took delivery of in December 2021. I drive it at least once a week, but things just aren’t far away where I usually take it. I have an employer paid for work truck I run about 25K miles per year.
If I had a work vehicle I would do the same thing I’ve enjoyed mine to much I got mine July 12 of 22 I’m at over 4600 miles lmao but I’ve been taking a few trips lol but I hope I get 5000 more on it soon that means I’m going somewhere lol

Will_in_HiFi

Black Diamond
First Name
WILL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr BD Mansquatch, 1989 Bronco 2, 1996 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While you’re right about premium not having more power in most vehicles and I agree we should dispel that misconception. These motors change their power output based on the octane of fuel detected. IIRC like +25hp. Someone correct my correction please if I got anything wrong.
Exactly. The premium allows the engine to run more aggressive/advanced timing therefore making more power.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

🤷‍♂️ Having more pep makes it more fun to shift gears, so premium has value to me.
This is what it seems most are missing in this thread. Everyone worried about if it increases MPG may have purchased the wrong vehicle. I use it for more pep and knowing that I'm running the best stuff I can for longevity sake of the baby turbo engine I have.

niterider006

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been driving around the last 3 tanks with 90 Ethenol free gas. HUGE difference, not sure why as you're technically not supposed to see a power and mpg (1.5) difference with ethenol free but I'm not expert either.
Sponsored