Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

E
E3DD2049-FE7A-4F77-B41F-CE8530E6B6BD.jpeg

What do you mean you can’t tell the engine is straight. The picture clearly shows, It’s plain as day ?
every time I see that pic I cringe looks all those lines omg “ I was out in the middle of nowhere and the blue wire came off and it wouldn’t start”

GK6G

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '16 Merc Sprinter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you asking if your bronco is gonna be straight or a transverstite? If you believe in it, it’ll grow up to be whatever it wants to be, and that’s Okay. Every bronco is special in its own way.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you asking if your bronco is gonna be straight or a transverstite? If you believe in it, it’ll grow up to be whatever it wants to be, and that’s Okay. Every bronco is special in its own way.
Yes, my 12 year old last year attempted to cause a reaction from my wife and I by saying she was transverse with a girl classmate but we just said okay cool be happy. I think she was disappointed lol.

My wife is mounted straight, by me, some times.

Sponsored

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread makes me wish the bronco came with an actual straight 6.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well horizontally opposed is fun also, but also a maintenance nightmare. So yes

JohnTaurus

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Taurus, 02 SVT Focus, 74 C10, 69 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well horizontally opposed is fun also, but also a maintenance nightmare. So yes
I love the Inline six in my 1974 Chevy C10, but the V-6 (3.0L) in my 1995 Taurus is just as easy to work on. Yes, its mounted sideways as it is front wheel drive.

That is but one example of a decent V-6, even transversely mounted, that is relatively easy to work on. Many, many are most certainly not, no matter which way they are mounted. A Chevy 3400 V-6 is just as much a nightmare in a Camaro, probably more so, than it is in a FWD Monte Carlo.

The 3.5L Cyclone V-6 in my mother's 2012 Taurus doesnt look too bad, as far as accessibility goes. Just hope the water pump never fails. Its mounted internally. Yikes. But, with nearly 140k, its an excellent engine that has been perfect since we got it in 2012. I do all the oil changes, and the undercarriage of that car is always dry and clean, like its brand new.

Here's hoping the 2.3L in my future Bronco will prove as reliable. From what I have read up on it thus far, it doesn't look like I have anything to worry about. Well, aside from possible teething problems in this particular application, but I seriously doubt that and since mine will probably end up being a 2022, I'll avoid any early teething issues that may occur, hopefully. Perhaps being patient will be worth it in the long run.

Back to the topic of this thread, really? I mean, it is based on a RWD truck with a longitudinal-mounted drivetrain, stands to reason that it would be configured much the same way. I'm not trying to be a smartass or come off as rude, but the OP certainly wasnt thinking clearly when asking about the layout of the Bronco's drivetrain.

Although I have heard of a FWD, body-on-frame vehicle (I believe Mahindra currently makes one, a minivan), they are exceedingly rare and relatively pointless, although I'm sure the engineers had their reasons for designing them that way.

Fun facts:

Lots of FWD cars have been designed to have their drivetrain mounted longitudinally, rather than transversely. Examples include: Chrysler's LH cars of the 1990s/00s (Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde, etc, I unfortunately owned a 1996 Concorde LXi, horrible pile of trash considering it was a one-owner, dealer-maintained example with low mileage).
Subarus before AWD became standard across the board save for the BRZ (I owned a 1980s FWD Subaru that you'd swear was RWD at first glance under the hood, engine mounted weird and it's a boxer style too, very different from a same-year Honda Civic).
First generation Toyota Tercel (I owned a 1983 SR-5 4wd Tercel wagon that I hated), they used the rear axle from the RWD Corolla to make the FWD Tercrel 4wd/awd. It worked because the engine was mounted longitudinally already, with the transaxle underneath it to drive the front wheels, so they basically added a transfer case to that. It had to be shifted into 4wd, or it was supposed to be, mine jumped in it randomly which caused the vehicle to become uncontrollable at higher speeds when it decided to do that. That crap was the last straw and I dumped it. I was told by a junkyard guy that the issue was relatively common).
Most any Audi, if not all of them. And many are AWD (Quattro).
1990s VW Fox (as it was known here), based on an old Audi platform.

Also, there are MANY FWD V-8 cars. Almost all 1980s-90s Cadillacs, except I think the Fleetwood and Catera. Other GM V-8/FWD cars were even less reliable, speaking of the 5.3L equipped W bodies. Reliability NIGHTMARE.
Ford also has had the 1996-1999 Taurus SHO and 1995-2002 Lincoln Continental, both FWD (same platform), both had standard V-8 engines (not the same engine, though in retrospect, idk why Ford didnt just use the 4.6L in the SHO since it was less complicated and no doubt cheaper to build than the Yamaha-sourced V-8 (which was virtually the same engine used in the Volvo XC90 mentioned above by someone else)).

Last fun fact, there are plenty of AWD vehicles based on FWD/transverse setups. Virtually every crossover you see, aside from a few outliers like the Subarus, Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango, and the latest Ford Explorer, which are unibody vehicles, but with a longitudinal mounted drivetrain. Every utility vehicle from Toyota that isnt a 4Runner, Sequoia, Lexus LX/GX or Land Cruiser. Every utility vehicle smaller than the Chevy Tahoe from GM. Every Nissan utility except the Armada. Even our own little brother, Bronco Sport, is AWD and based on FWD/traverse layout.
Some such vehicles, such as the first generation Toyota Rav4, had a low Range transfer case and locking differentials. Idk why the Bronco Sport doesn't have that stuff (at least I've heard no mention of it).

Last edited:

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love the Inline six in my 1974 Chevy C10, but the V-6 (3.0L) in my 1995 Taurus is just as easy to work on. Yes, its mounted sideways as it is front wheel drive.
When I say Horizontally opposed I mean a flat 6 or Boxster not the mounting

Sponsored

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco V6 orientation - straight or transverse 1604318780873
It's about serviceability, especially sparkplug accessibility. Just checked - The FJ Cruiser has front axle/differential and not a transaxle. So, straight mount on FJ makes sense.

:)Find any hint of sparkplug accessibility without major parts removal first.o_O:unsure:

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What do you mean you can’t tell the engine is straight. The picture clearly shows, It’s plain as day ?
My wife's Fusion Sport has this engine, and the way that I can tell that it's mounted normally is by the location of the oil filter housing (plastic hex head bolt with a cross on the inner portion of the head)

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's about serviceability, especially sparkplug accessibility. Just checked - The FJ Cruiser has front axle/differential and not a transaxle. So, straight mount on FJ makes sense.

:)Find any hint of sparkplug accessibility without major parts removal first.o_O:unsure:
No, but I'm trying to determine where the OCC (oil catch can) will sit. It appears most of the interference for spark plug replacement is in the form of vacuum hoses.....

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife's Fusion Sport has this engine, and the way that I can tell that it's mounted normally is by the location of the oil filter housing (plastic hex head bolt with a cross on the inner portion of the head)
Wait... did you just say the 2.7 in the Fusion Sport isn't transverse...?

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Fun facts:

Lots of FWD cars have been designed to have their drivetrain mounted longitudinally, rather than transversely. Examples include: Chrysler's LH cars of the 1990s/00s (Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde, etc, I unfortunately owned a 1996 Concorde LXi, horrible pile of trash considering it was a one-owner, dealer-maintained example with low mileage).
Subarus before AWD became standard across the board save for the BRZ (I owned a 1980s FWD Subaru that you'd swear was RWD at first glance under the hood, engine mounted weird and it's a boxer style too, very different from a same-year Honda Civic).
First generation Toyota Tercel (I owned a 1983 SR-5 4wd Tercel wagon that I hated), they used the rear axle from the RWD Corolla to make the FWD Tercrel 4wd/awd. It worked because the engine was mounted longitudinally already, with the transaxle underneath it to drive the front wheels, so they basically added a transfer case to that. It had to be shifted into 4wd, or it was supposed to be, mine jumped in it randomly which caused the vehicle to become uncontrollable at higher speeds when it decided to do that. That crap was the last straw and I dumped it. I was told by a junkyard guy that the issue was relatively common).
Most any Audi, if not all of them. And many are AWD (Quattro).
1990s VW Fox (as it was known here), based on an old Audi platform.

Also, there are MANY FWD V-8 cars. Almost all 1980s-90s Cadillacs, except I think the Fleetwood and Catera. Other GM V-8/FWD cars were even less reliable, speaking of the 5.3L equipped W bodies. Reliability NIGHTMARE.
You forgot the goofiest of the goofballs, the Toronado. Based on a borrowed RWD platform chassis from the Riviera, Massive 455ci/7.5L V8 engine mounted longitudinally, and FWD. But wait, it gets better, in it's third generation, the Toronado was available with the messed up 350ci/5.7L olds diesel that was a converted gas engine which became notorious for catastrophic engine failures.
Sponsored