First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
@FirstOnRaceDay hey Devin, I feel like I owe you an apology for some of my comments in this thread which were condescending. Thank you for your time and commitment as a moderator here and I respect your opinions and insight even if we may not agree on everything. -Randy
hey man. no hard feelings. Trust me, if I took everyone on here that serious I would loose my mind.
Just doing my best to keep everything going.
Sponsored

Imprezive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Mulitstrada, Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would buy a Coyote Bronco as first choice. If they 392 the Gladiator I may go that route. A year still to wait on a Bronco and if they screw up this reservation stuff that allows dealers to gouge, I will not hesitate to bail. This is not some holy grail vehicle. Is anyone seriously buying any of these with gas mileage as a concern? I want the sound and fury of a V8. Supercharging them is easy. But that 392 Gladiator could pull me away. FORD is on the verge of screwing it up again. If I lose my reservation, I will just wait an extra year. Who knows what my decision will be then?
Just making sure I understand your logic. Buying an engine for fuel economy is stupid but buying one for “sound and fury” is perfectly reasonable?

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They’re acting like a straight axle and V8 is something new. Plenty of these have been converted and people are happy.
Pretty funny, little girls crying up a storm. OMG, I tow a 5000 lbs boat with a V-8, solid front axle, and 35's. Maybe I'm really dead, and just came back as a ghost.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1 f150 was DESIGNED from the ground up to handle a v8. Did you not see how much work it took for Jeep to stuff that v8 in? Move EVERYTHING out of the engine bay, add Reinforcement to the frame everywhere. bigger and stronger motor mounts. Larger front suspension. And more! Bronco is going to need all that too

2 Harder to work on because you have NO room. The 2.7 barley fits as it is. Let alone a v8. You would have to drop the engine every time you wanted to change the spark plugs Or change the belt.

3 you are correct in the f150 it’s nearly IDENTICAL with the same gearing . ~14.5 quarter mile under 6s to 60. But that’s at sea level. Anything above that it’s game over.

4 if you desperate for power a tune and bolt ons will take the 2.7 up to 400hp 500lbft. ($2000 tops) That’s before we even talk about fuel systems upgrades. ($2000) and then turbo upgrades $4000. So under $8000 for 600hp 700lnft Orr

$10k+ just for a 400hp400lbft v8 then another $15k for a blower. Cool.

Lol.

1. F150 was designed from the ground up to handle a v8...Yes. Jeep had to reinforce the frame because their v6 engine has 260 ft lbs of torque. The 2.7 and the 5.0 are very comparable in that aspect. You guys don't get to claim the 2.7 has the same power and that you'd need 10 grand worth of frame reinforcements for the 5.0. lmao.

2. Drop the engine every time you wanted to change spark plugs? Dude, have you ever looked at a coyote? Do you realize these are not 350 chevys with spark plugs on the outside of the cylinder heads? Do you have any fucking clue what you're talking about? Oh my god I'm gonna have to drop the engine to get to this thing right here!:

Ford Bronco V8 Jeep Wrangler production prototype spied testing 1595746694117

3. It took a gearing disadvantage and over 5000 ft altitude to lose by a car length... an n/a motor will lose about 3% power for every 1000ft... They would have been nearly identical AT that colorado altitude with just the gearing, at sea level it would have been lights out for the 2.7. I've had a 2.7 F150, they run out of breath quick.

4. You once again have zero clue what you're talking about.. 600hp 700tq? Post up a single 2.7 making those numbers on pump gas, on a stock bottom end. This is the beefiest there is out there right now, at 540/550, and as you can see, it's done at 6200rpm, torque peak is at 3500 already, and that's with big turbos, E30 and a whole lot of other stuff... https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...hows-off-at-the-drag-strip-137912.html#agal_4

Once again, the 5.0 is a 1000 dollar more option in the F150. Where the hell are you getting 10 grand option in the Bronco?

5.0 is about 3” Longer, 6” wider 8” taller than the 2.7/3.0 ecoboost
Not sure where you get your information on engine dimensions from, I'm guessing from the same place that told you you have to drop your engine to change spark plugs...

Here's a fun fact. The 5.0 comes in a smaller lighter crate than the 2.3.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-M50C

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-23TA

You're probably thinking just the engine block and not counting the turbos and piping - which are very much required for the 2.7 and can't be hooked up with home depot dryer vent hoses... That or you're just pulling numbers out of your ass. I can guarantee you will add quite a lot of extra width with those turbos on, much more than the extra 0.4 inches in bore diameter between the 2.. Had you had a coyote and a 2.7 you'd know this... I have/had both, I don't have the 2.7 anymore otherwise I'd go measure them both right now.

Ford Bronco V8 Jeep Wrangler production prototype spied testing 1595748429939

What you are saying is the 2.7 is 23" long, 22" wide and 19" tall? If the 2.7 was that short in height, trust me, Subaru would be using it instead of their boxer engines... And at 22 inches width complete with turbos, I'd have 2 of them side by side in some kinda project...

once again: Lol.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not sure either on the $15K, 5.0 supercharger. I shopped around and got Summit to match some obscure web site that had the Phs Roush for my 14, for $6400 (even an 18+ 5.0 Phs 1, which is now 700 HP, is only $7800). That and 93 VMP tune (and tuner) and I'm @ 730 crank. Trap went from 112 to 126 MPH (ZERO other power mods). Off idle torque virtually doubled.

Downside would be mileage. Pretty hard to get over 20 now, but at least I can still go to local gas station. Plan on E-85 for my EVO, track only. Going to have to buy 30 gallon container and travel over and hour for the only E-85 station I can find. These high HP ECO's put in larger turbos that hurt lag (which is already too much for a built rock crawler) and then require fuel I can't get.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
so what’s your complaint?
when in 4 low you have 10,000
lbft at 1000rpm at the wheels Idk if you need much more.
its not some old 80 turbo or some big diesel either. It’s 12psi.... it’s not going to slam on and off at 1500 rpm or something. It’s very controlled. Especially with modern day electric throttles and fuel injection.
@ that amount of gear, an ECO is going to be anything but controlled. I've never argued that the ECO's don't make a lot of low end torque, after spooled up. But that will then be the problem when it ramps up completely, non-linearly.

Many times you want the exact amount of power you want, just enough. I've posted videos showing it, and that's fully locked, big stickies, @ 7 PSI tire pressure. Can't get any more traction, but still pretty easy to instantly lose traction on muddy/moss covered rocks, IF you can't get the exact amount of power you wanted. You can't crawl it, not in my neck of the woods. Many are going to find out once they pack on mods to a 4 door and it's now 6000 lbs.

Would love to be proven wrong. Hope someone on here in the tri-state area builds one on 40" stickies or better with axles and susp that can handle it. I rolled my crap hard almost 2 years ago. Haven't fixed it as my wheeling buddy had his first kid and decided to make his rig more family friendly. Last time I went with a bunch of Toy's that were exploding crappy CV's all day long on only 35/36's (really annoying). Would love to hang out with some built correctly Fords again, with guys who can fix their own rig and can drive. Very hard to find that combo with guys who own Fords these days. Not fun to drive ultra hard when no one capable, has your back......

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Fosters

Not sure either on the $15K, 5.0 supercharger. I shopped around and got Summit to match some obscure web site that had the Phs Roush for my 14, for $6400 (even an 18+ 5.0 Phs 1, which is now 700 HP, is only $7800). That and 93 VMP tune (and tuner) and I'm @ 730 crank. Trap went from 112 to 126 MPH (ZERO other power mods). Off idle torque virtually doubled.

Downside would be mileage. Pretty hard to get over 20 now, but at least I can still go to local gas station. Plan on E-85 for my EVO, track only. Going to have to buy 30 gallon container and travel over and hour for the only E-85 station I can find. These high HP ECO's put in larger turbos that hurt lag (which is already too much for a built rock crawler) and then require fuel I can't get.
1 Jeep has a diesel with 440lbft. Your telling me jeep need to change the Frame for 10 more lbft?? no they needed to change it because the motor wouldn’t fit properly and it needed to be changed to fit the front axle under it.

2 have you seen what a 3.0 nano (same thing as 2.7 just bored and stroked) in the explorer??? Good luck working on that let alone. V8! And the bronco engine bay isnt going to be any bigger.

Ford Bronco V8 Jeep Wrangler production prototype spied testing 793BEBE4-638E-40B6-8151-0B971761DDD3

3 2.7 vs 5.0 at sea level with the same gearing is MARGINAL. so let’s just drop that.

4. since when do you need more that 600/600 crank in a MIDSIZED vehicle? In a full sized truck sure more is better. but even 600/600 is over kill In a small truck.... and that was achieved with MAYBE $10,000

5. THE 150 IS ONYL A MOTOR SWAP TO FIT THE 5.0 vs 2.7!!
hence why it’s only $1000. To fit the 5.0 in the bronco your going to have to move almost everything In the bay out. Move the frame add mounts Add reinforcement probably change the suspension (all the same shit Jeep had to do with the 392) that’s why it will be a very pricey premium

6. including turbos, intake, exhaust, w/o accessories this is the dimensions. (I think I goofed a bit on the width last time...conversions...) but still 3“ longer and 8” TALLER which once again see explorer above. I don’t think you have 3“ in length. And 3” taller? Good luck.

Ford Bronco V8 Jeep Wrangler production prototype spied testing AB082867-899C-4372-8FF9-FD3CBD3F6C13

it’s also worth noting because the 5.0 is a 90 degree block Val everything else 60 degree. It makes it harder to fit between the frame rails. Meaning TYPICALLY you have to mount the 5.0 higher than a say LS or even 351w. So what are you going to do? Cut 3” into the fire wall and then put on a 5“ tall hood bump that will stretch the entire width?

all for what??? The sound?

as I said before. 2.7 Ecoboost bronco with even $20,000 worth of tuning will be 600/600

that will BARELY get you a v8 with a tune to maybe make 450/450. After market is already asking $30,000+ to v8 swap rangers and broncos. And that’s just the 400/400 stock v8. Let alone anything like a blower. Which most shops charge well north of $10,000 to INSTALL a blower.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@Fosters

1 Jeep has a diesel with 440lbft. Your telling me jeep need to change the Frame for 10 more lbft?? no they needed to change it because the motor wouldn’t fit properly and it needed to be changed to fit the front axle under it.

2 have you seen what a 3.0 nano (same thing as 2.7 just bored and stroked) in the explorer??? Good luck working on that let alone. V8! And the bronco engine bay isnt going to be any bigger.

793BEBE4-638E-40B6-8151-0B971761DDD3.jpeg

3 2.7 vs 5.0 at sea level with the same gearing is MARGINAL. so let’s just drop that.

4. since when do you need more that 600/600 crank in a MIDSIZED vehicle? In a full sized truck sure more is better. but even 600/600 is over kill In a small truck.... and that was achieved with MAYBE $10,000

5. THE 150 IS ONYL A MOTOR SWAP TO FIT THE 5.0 vs 2.7!!
hence why it’s only $1000. To fit the 5.0 in the bronco your going to have to move almost everything In the bay out. Move the frame add mounts Add reinforcement probably change the suspension (all the same shit Jeep had to do with the 392) that’s why it will be a very pricey premium

6. including turbos, intake, exhaust, w/o accessories this is the dimensions. (I think I goofed a bit on the width last time...conversions...) but still 3“ longer and 8” TALLER which once again see explorer above. I don’t think you have 3“ in length. And 3” taller? Good luck.

AB082867-899C-4372-8FF9-FD3CBD3F6C13.jpeg

it’s also worth noting because the 5.0 is a 90 degree block Val everything else 60 degree. It makes it harder to fit between the frame rails. Meaning TYPICALLY you have to mount the 5.0 higher than a say LS or even 351w. So what are you going to do? Cut 3” into the fire wall and then put on a 5“ tall hood bump that will stretch the entire width?

as I said before. 2.7 Ecoboost bronco with even $20,000 worth of tuning will be 600/600

that will BARELY get you a v8 with a tune to maybe make 450/450. After market is already asking $30,000+ to v8 swap rangers and broncos. And that’s just the 400/400 stock v8. Let alone anything like a blower. Which most shops charge well north of $10,000 to INSTALL a blower.

Lol, this is getting out of hand. You "goofed a bit"... ok. And wow that 2.7 is made of magic compared to the 3.5 - same 60 degree v6 but with a 0.14" smaller stroke it manages to drop 4 inches in height in your "guesstimates". 0.37" smaller bore and it manages to drop 6.5" in width... and it still ends up 10% wider than the 5.0. So I guess they won't have to move that much stuff out of the way in the engine bay...

Not to mention the weight is the same essentially even according to your over-optimistic picture... so why would they have to change suspension and add reinforcements?

Btw, you really should learn to add and subtract. Not sure how 28" is "but still 3“ longer and 8” TALLER" than your guesstimated 25" in height...

I guess that explains why you think it would cost 10 grand for the factory to put in a 5.0... or 10 grand to INSTALL a blower.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can you or can you not confirm that the V-8 Wrangler was a factory prototype?

Please post up the details of the rig you have offroaded that was over 5000lbs, 40 inch or better tire, in terrain similar to eastern PA, (IE, muddy trails with rocks covered in wet leaves and moss).
Pictures and better yet video would be nice so we can converse about our similar expediences, campaigning that kind of rig, in that kind of terrain.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Please post up the details of the rig you have offroaded that was over 5000lbs, 40 inch or better tire, in terrain similar to eastern PA, (IE, muddy trails with rocks covered in wet leaves and moss).
Pictures and better yet video would be nice so we can converse about our similar expediences, campaigning that kind of rig, in that kind of terrain.
Bueller????

Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Shh, you gonna get that moderator warning too... He doesn't like being proven wrong.
This board has been pretty light on the nasty name calling I've seen elsewhere. Some pretty smart guys on here too, I enjoy the debate. I'm not sure how asking for someone's experience on a topic, when that person appears to be speaking as an authority on the subject, would be a violation of this boards rules.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It doesn't matter what it costs to make, it will be priced at whatever Jeep can sell it for. The other 392-equipped SUVs start at $63k (Durango) and $70k (Grand Cherokee). I'll eat my hat if the 392 Wrangler starts under $50k.

Though it'd be hilarious if they offered a V8/stick option. Really shove it in Ford's face.
good thing we are at the tip of the spear technology wise and no v8 stick option ,maybe the heritage edition.
Sponsored