NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
1 this has been a concept since the 2011 SEMA auto show! https://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-vide...rnsville-off-road-2012-jk-392-hemi-conversion
FCA gave them the new 392 to show off in the wrangler.

2 HIGHLY doubt this EVER makes it to production as a mass production factory vehicle. I could easily see a “3rd party swap with FCA warranty”

2 IF this ever makes it to production it would EASILY cost well over $70,000 STARTING. grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6 is SIMILAR To wrangler rubicon. Both are around $45,000. Grand Cherokee SRT392 is $71,000+ Wrangler is definitely going to be a bigger upcharge.

3 IT won’t be any faster top end. It will be limited to 120mph unless they throw on S/T tires that are rated to 155. Because all LT A/T and LY M/T ties for the most part Are only rated for 120mph.

4 gas milage will SUUUUCK.
Jeep Wrangler 3.6 auto 20mpg
Jeep GC 3.6 21 mpg
Jeep GC 6.4 15mpg
Jeep Wrangler 6.4 13mpg?

5 it will be too nose heavy to be useful for anything other than shopping

6 A Bronco 3.0 Ecoboost will be a whole lot better with 400hp 415lbft. Yes less than Jeep but it will be nearly just as fast for $15,000-$30,000 less! also the Ford Explorer 3.0 gets 20mpg combine. So even if the bronco 3.0 only gets 18. That’s still 5+ (40%) BETTER than the Jeep.

7 don’t expect this to force ford to come out with a v8 bronco either.
3.0 ecoboost with 400hp 415lbft ++ AND/OR 2.3 power boost 360hp 500lbft.

thats fords future. Really modern tech. Not slapping a 2L blower on a mid century pushrod smallblock
Frankly no one is impressed with the 3.0. Ford just needs to do the 5.0 or 7.3L and be done.
The F250 with the 7.3 is seeing close to 15 MPG, no one is going complain about that kinda fuel economy on the Bronco, and the 5.0 should be somewhat better.
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Frankly no one is impressed with the 3.0. Ford just needs to do the 5.0 or 7.3L and be done.
The F250 with the 7.3 is seeing close to 15 MPG, no one is going complain about that kinda fuel economy on the Bronco, and the 5.0 should be somewhat better.
I have seen more 3.0 explorers than regular 2020s at this point. 2.7 out sells the 5.0 2:1.

So 14mpg or 18mpg with similar power and torque. But the ecoboost will be lighter and have more low end torque and be better for off-roading. Have a better weight split AND be easier to work on

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have seen more 3.0 explorers than regular 2020s at this point. 2.7 out sells the 5.0 2:1.

So 14mpg or 18mpg with similar power and torque. But the ecoboost will be lighter and have more low end torque and be better for off-roading. Have a better weight split AND be easier to work on
The V8 has linear power, doesn’t require more major components to run, will get very similar MPG, sound amazing, weigh less in the case of the 2.7 vs 5.0.
The V8 is the clear winner here, particularly in the Bronco.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A v8 in either the JL or the Bronco will be in huge demand, particularly if it's a high hp v8 like the 392. Theres a ton of people like me who are tired of off road vehicles with barely adequate motors, like my former 11' JKUR or my current 17' Taco. I know, my own fault for buying a gutless vehicle, but I would pay some serious cash for a high hp off roader. Maybe the Bronco 2.7l will be ok, but I'd still love a v8, and I'm sure there's thousands who feel the same.

Reactions: OX1

SVT_GRL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 SVT Cobra, 2013 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not really. For looks alone, it looks like a jeep. And the bronco is just different.....which makes me very excited!

Sponsored
OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I should point out I’m not saying no one will buy them.
And that is what really matters. Kind of missing the whole point of competition. Why do you think you are getting the bronco you are, and how much further effort will Ford put in if the Wrangler does get "crushed". Without it, all Ford really needs is something a bit better than the new Blazer.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In the same breath you complain about a $600 upgrade and then promote a $6000+ upgrade.

If it really made more sense to put a V8 in it, then they would have. They're chock full of engineers and more degrees than all the circular logic you guys regurgitate on a daily basis, but sure...they're all automotive killjoys conspiring against V8s.
Hysterical that anyone would argue that ecoboosts are economical under higher loads, which even a 2.7 will be in a built rig approaching 6000 lbs and starting with horrible aero (and then just getting worse).

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hysterical that anyone would argue that ecoboosts are economical under higher loads, which even a 2.7 will be in a built rig approaching 6000 lbs and starting with horrible aero (and then just getting worse).
Either you quoted the wrong post or there is an outbreak of terrible reading comprehension.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well this thread is a shit show. I'll pile on some more!
  • A V8 Bronco or Jeep would sell like hotcakes
  • The common phrase "eco or boost" is true based on real world testing and millions of miles logged on fuelly
  • EcoBoost F150s sell more units because that is what's on dealer lots. Similar to the manual transmission circular reference argument. For a while I was looking for a 5.0 F150 fx4 but there were 10 EcoBoosts for every 1 5.0 on the market.
  • Ford is pushing EcoBoosts as much as they can to meet the emissions/mpg standards which the EcoBoosts perform better at for the testing purposes (Thanks Obama!)
  • Ecoboosts make damn impressive power and outrageous torque but then so would a forced induction v8.
If anyone isn't pissed off with those opinions let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Sponsored

Imprezive

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Mulitstrada, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
And that is what really matters. Kind of missing the whole point of competition. Why do you think you are getting the bronco you are, and how much further effort will Ford put in if the Wrangler does get "crushed". Without it, all Ford really needs is something a bit better than the new Blazer.
I mean the Wrangler also doesn’t have a V8 and I suspect not that many people will jump ship just because of that if it does.

broncoenthusiast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
  • The common phrase "eco or boost" is true based on real world testing and millions of miles logged on fuelly
  • EcoBoost F150s sell more units because that is what's on dealer lots. Similar to the manual transmission circular reference argument. For a while I was looking for a 5.0 F150 fx4 but there were 10 EcoBoosts for every 1 5.0 on the market.
  • Ford is pushing EcoBoosts as much as they can to meet the emissions/mpg standards which the EcoBoosts perform better at for the testing purposes (Thanks Obama!)
  • Ecoboosts make damn impressive power and outrageous torque but then so would a forced induction v8.
If anyone isn't pissed off with those opinions let me know and I'll see what I can do.
i know its ridiculous but i wish Ford would design a smaller displacement(4l-5l) ecoboost v8 for their smaller cars...

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
i know its ridiculous but i wish Ford would design a smaller displacement(4l-5l) ecoboost v8 for their smaller cars...
they won’t. The 2.7 is a PERFECT replacement for the 5.0 in smaller applications. I get the “i gotta Have a v8” but the 2.7 is very capable. And has more low end torque.

1 v8 would NOT sell like hot cakes. V8. Bronco would be 65+k v8 wrangler almost 80k no one is going to pay a 10-20k premium JUST for a v8.

2 yes eco or boost. It’s a very smart system. Driving Around the city. Don’t hit 2500 rpm. Going off roading BALLSOut.

3 do you think there’s only 4 f150 on the lot? Within 50 miles of my house there 1660 F150 for sale. 150 v8! if you can’t pick a vehicle from 150 different trucks you have an issue. Also you can see how much higher demand is. Closer to 3:1

4 is getting go mpg a bad thing?

5 lol Fi v8? Glad you have 120k to blow.

No it won't, not the LOWEST end.
V6 makes more torque from 1750 -4000 rpm. And your clutch and torque converter arnt hooking up till 1750 meaning below that is pointless.

The V8 has linear power, doesn’t require more major components to run, will get very similar MPG, sound amazing, weigh less in the case of the 2.7 vs 5.0.
The V8 is the clear winner here, particularly in the Bronco.
v6 torque is nearly flat from 1750-4500 rpm. More flat than v8

less components =\= more reliable

v6 in f150 gets 15% better mpg than v8

V6 is 120lbs lighter than v8 5.0

V8 does sound good tho.

I said it once and I’ll say it again.
V8 Bronco is POINTLESS!
You would be spending 10-20k more than the 2.7 v6 for what?

Better sound
v8 badge
more hp (which is pointless because it’s limited to 120mph)

15% worse MpG
less torque from 0-4000 rpm.
Heavier and more nose heavy
Much harder to work on
Oh AND SLOWER!

So everyone please educate yourself. You want a v8 go head and get a brand new $10,000 v8 and swap it yourself or have some one do it for you for $30,000 if your REALLY want a v8

engines are getting smaller. They have been getting smaller since 1977. (Back when trucks had 400ci+)

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
He tried to complain with math. The $6k was referring to the cost of a Whipple supercharger.

If the market is so huge, then the Bronco will fall flat on its ass, right? You have a degree in marketing right shipmate?

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy the sound, but all the blustering is pointless and you all may as well line up at the urinal and break out the rulers.
I'm not complaining with math. I'm pointing out that your "more fuel efficient" engine ends up costing you the same over the first 150k miles.

The 6000 dollar upgrade was to address the "oh, you can make more power with an ecoboost". Yeah, a tune, downpipe, intercooler, good to go. You're probably looking at 1500-2 grand between those 3 things, and you'll gain another 50hp 100tq... and then you're done. Unless you get into built engines and giant turbos and good luck finding a bigger direct injection pump... Yes, the ecoboost is great for the people who do 1-2 things to it... Not the engine I'd brag about how much power it makes though.

With the coyote on the other hand, the sky's the limit if you truly want power. The serious mods pick up where the ecoboost is done.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
they won’t. The 2.7 is a PERFECT replacement for the 5.0 in smaller applications. I get the “i gotta Have a v8” but the 2.7 is very capable. And has more low end torque.

1 v8 would NOT sell like hot cakes. V8. Bronco would be 65+k v8 wrangler almost 80k no one is going to pay a 10-20k premium JUST for a v8.
How does a 30 grand bronco end up 65k with a v8? In the F150, the 2.7 is a 1000 dollar option, the 5.0 is a 2000 dollar option. Let alone a "10-20k premium". And they use the same transmission...

Much harder to work on
Oh AND SLOWER!

So everyone please educate yourself. You want a v8 go head and get a brand new $10,000 v8 and swap it yourself or have some one do it for you for $30,000 if your REALLY want a v8

engines are getting smaller. They have been getting smaller since 1977. (Back when trucks had 400ci+)
The n/a v8 is much harder to work on than a twin turbo v6? Do 2 extra coil on plugs confuse you more than 20 ft of piping?

And faster? Lol, 1 truck length at 1 mile above sea level, while having a gearing disadvantage (on the v8):

At sea level with the same gears those trucks will be identical at best if not the V8 might be a hair quicker...

And once again, if you're desperate for horsepower, the whipple coyotes are in the 750-800hp easy...
Sponsored

Last edited: