Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ive also driven a couple 3.5 eco boosts that were much better power wise but Still did not have that linear V8 power.
Too much torque down low? An NA engine has to climb to make power, a turbo engine makes it wherever you design it to. EcoBoosts make way more power down low than most common half ton V8s, more like a big block.

I don’t see the purpose of the EcoBoost, fuel economy is not any better in my experience than an equally powered N/A engine, and power is dependent on keeping the engine in boost.
EPA mpg numbers aside, there's still a difference in the real world. Per Fuelly, the '11-'19 5.0 F150s average 15-16mpg combined. The 2.7 gets 18.

3.5 gets about the same mpg as the 5.0 but can tow more.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Too much torque down low? An NA engine has to climb to make power, a turbo engine makes it wherever you design it to. EcoBoosts make way more power down low than most common half ton V8s, more like a big block.

EPA mpg numbers aside, there's still a difference in the real world. Per Fuelly, the '11-'19 5.0 F150s average 15-16mpg combined. The 2.7 gets 18.

3.5 gets about the same mpg as the 5.0 but can tow more.
I never felt like the power was “too much” anywhere, but I’ve also never felt “too much” power on anything including a LSX vette. I assume that means my cut off for “too much” is somewhere above the 700 range.

In defense of the 2.7L I routinely achieved 21-22MPG, but on that same note I routinely achieve 24-26MPG in a 5.3L in the same driving conditions and routes, and I know full well fuelly estimates are not equivalent to my experience on that engine either.

KCBRUIN

First Edition
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 screw 3.5eb
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I know there's some Jeep hate going on around here, but I LOVED both my JKURs. The only thing stopping me from buying a JLUR is the Bronco's better engine options. If Jeep can make the 392 work at a scat pack price level, and not a full SRT price level I'm all in.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
and I know full well fuelly estimates are not equivalent to my experience on that engine either.
Fuelly's not estimates, it's data, the best idea of what happens in the real world, better than EPA estimates for sure.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fuelly's not estimates, it's data, the best idea of what happens in the real world, better than EPA estimates for sure.
The estimated MPG in this case would be considered the average, some people are getting significantly worse and other significantly better. It’s dependent on driving style, gearing, tires etc.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
0-Death Wobble in 7 seconds. :LOL:

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm definitely interested in that 392, but isn't a loaded JLUR already about $60k? I can't imagine the 392 would be any less than around $70k decently equipped. Still much cheaper than one of the engine swap places. It'll be a while before I buy anything, if there are some power improvements for the Bronco 2.7l, that would probably be enough for me.

Broncode

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are the chances of that 392 Wrangler coming in a 2dr? Slim to none in my opinion. If Ford releases a V8 Bronco, it will probably only go in a 4dr. I can’t remember where I read it, but puttng a V8 in a small short-wheelbased SUV is an engineering and safety nightmare. Personally I would love it, but not in a 4dr.

Imprezive

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Mulitstrada, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don’t get the appeal personally. It’s still not fast, the range will suck, and it will handle even more like a barge with all that weight up front. I mean yeah it will sound cool but overall won’t actually be better.

Sponsored
OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What are the chances of that 392 Wrangler coming in a 2dr? Slim to none in my opinion. If Ford releases a V8 Bronco, it will probably only go in a 4dr. I can’t remember where I read it, but puttng a V8 in a small short-wheelbased SUV is an engineering and safety nightmare. Personally I would love it, but not in a 4dr.
2 dr only 4" less WB than FSB's, and one of mine has a 460.

and there's this.........

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/stand-out-from-the-crowd-with-this-mercedes-benz-g500-swb/

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don’t get the appeal personally. It’s still not fast, the range will suck, and it will handle even more like a barge with all that weight up front. I mean yeah it will sound cool but overall won’t actually be better.
260 lbs more than 2.7 ECO , and not that big of a deal if the rig starts out 900 lbs lighter.

Imprezive

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Mulitstrada, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
260 lbs more than 2.7 ECO , and not that big of a deal if the rig starts out 900 lbs lighter.
260lbs on the nose of an even lighter truck with a solid front axle will be super noticeable for handling.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is the only thing that could keep me out of a Bronco, someone finally offering a V8 open top SUV would take care of exactly what I’ve asked for for so long. I don’t even care about peak power output just the feel of smooth linear power through the entire rev range, that amazing sound, that perfect displacement.

If FCA actually does this I will be on cloud 9.

Unfortunately that’s a big “if” So for now I will continue course on the Bronco until such time this is certain.
You realize you can have Rubitrux up in Boone do the Hemi conversion on a JK or JL now. If you start with a built JK, you can probably save a good chunk over a new Bronco.

Robbie at MOTECH has a kit for an LS swap into a NSG 370 6MT JK as well. It is tempting to keep what I have built, do a swap, and get out of the Bronco line ...

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Meh. for me, the design of the jeep is still not attractive. i love a boxy design. but the fenders and exposed hinges, gaps around the bumper, etc just bothers me enough to not care. there are a few modded ones that have been done tastefully but still not for me.
Sponsored