First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, Mitch. But, I’m speculating that once the Sunrider is on, it’s staying on. With alignment, extra work, current Sunrider owners aren’t removing their Sunriders on a regular basis. So, probably keeping the rear roof on all of the time.?
I don’t plan on removing my rear roof (just like I don’t plan on removing my doors) but I don’t see the Sunrider adding more than 5 additional minutes to the process. The alignment issue isn’t significant, there isn’t really any specific adjustment for install, just the washers under the rear bolts.
Sponsored

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great info. I plan on pulling the trigger on a twill top since the panels are such a PITA to store onboard and steal so much space.

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just bought the twill, fit is great, functionality is great. I love being able to just flip the sunrider back in seconds, as opposed to taking a few minutes to get the panels off and stow them in the back where they would not get scuffed up. Still need to see how it goes at highway speeds, but around town it is excellent.
Had it on a bit now. I don't think it is much louder than the hardtop panels when closed and I think it breaks things up a bit when open, and is a bit quieter with less buffeting than just having the hard panels out. For alignment, I put in the bolts a bit loose, latched the top and pulled it back as far as I could, the tightened the screws in the middle of the back bracket, then opened and tightened the rest. Wind noise is good, an it did not leak in the car wash, so it should be weather tight. Very impressed, but will probably put the hard panels back for winter (snow and ice),

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looking for inputs about your experience with this top.
  • Fit/finish (for the 2 door Bronco)
  • interior sound level compared to the hardtop with roof rails
  • NVH compared to the hardtop (popping sound)
  • quality of twill compared to vinyl
  • any sealing issues for air or water

Many thanks for sharing your real life experience with this top on a 2 door Bronco! 🤙
  • Fit/finish (for the 2 door Bronco)
  • Fit and finish is overall good, the one concern I have with mine is it's not flush in the back, there's a wave in the plastic because of how it's mounted to the cap section
  • interior sound level compared to the hardtop with roof rails
  • Interior sound is slightly higher than the MIC panels, but when adjusted properly, it's not terrible. I don't have the roof rails.
  • NVH compared to the hardtop (popping sound)
  • I didn't have any popping issues on my two door, but I got the sunrider about two weeks after I took delivery. That said, it does flutter some when closed and a window is open.
  • quality of twill compared to vinyl
  • No experience with the Vinyl, I went with twill as I suspect the heat would stretch the vinyl. I have a twill top on my convertible, so I prefer the look as well.
  • any sealing issues for air or water
  • None, we've had one really strong wind and rain storm a few months ago, and I've washed it a couple of times, no leakage to speak of, seals fine.
Overall, I love the top. It's better for lower speed driving, as it can get quite windy when on the freeway, one suggestion I have for @Bestop_Team would be to add some sort of wind deflector to the front of the truck, possibly mounted to the header panel that would deflect air over the cab. Something like what's offered on newer Mercedes convertibles.
AIRCAP-PIC2-GALLERY.jpg

@Bestop_Team I'd be happy to prototype something like that FYI ;)

Sponsored

ahtussey

Big Bend
First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Installed the sunrider yesterday afternoon. Initially used the 5.5 bolts and saw the gap that others have posted about so we removed them and it fits better. Was cautiously optimistic about the wind noise, but coming down the road this morning to work, absolutely noticed significant wind noise at 50 - at 70 it was nearly unbearable! Guess I'll be looking to tighten up some bolts and conduct the rain test, as rain is expected this afternoon.

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I spoke with Bestop Tech support today and the 5.5mm washer is used on the 2 Door Install. The gap between the rear hard top and the gasket is normal when the top is closed, that piece of wheather stripping is not for water proofing, it is there so there is no plastic on plastic contact and scratching of the factory hardtop when the top is flipped back. Leaving out the 5.5mm washer may put unwanted stress on the Halo Bracket and the bolts in the center of the factory hardtop.

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I spoke with Bestop Tech support today and the 5.5mm washer is used on the 2 Door Install. The gap between the rear hard top and the gasket is normal when the top is closed, that piece of wheather stripping is not for water proofing, it is there so there is no plastic on plastic contact and scratching of the factory hardtop when the top is flipped back. Leaving out the 5.5mm washer may put unwanted stress on the Halo Bracket and the bolts in the center of the factory hardtop.
Very interesting info.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is a great thread. My sunrider should be coming in this Saturday & can't wait!

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have had my sunrider on for about 1 1/2 weeks now. I like it more every day, I have had it open every time I have driven the Bronco. The first couple days I was concerned about some wind noise at 40-50 MPH, but after a few days in the hot sun I believe it has settled in. I had it up to 80 on the highway the other night and it was fine. It is slightly louder that the hard top panels but not at all unmanageable. And the trade of for the ease of opening is well worth it. Being a 2 door the panels just take up too much cargo area so Im thinking the hard panels will live in the garage from now on. I have not had any rain since I installed it, so fingers crossed It does not leak. If it passes the heavy rain test I will be 100 % satisfied.

Last edited:

Abundigas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Squatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
Update: Rained pretty good this morning. About 10 minutes ar 70+ mph. No leaks. Very happy with the Sunrider.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just installed my sunrider this past weekend.

Installation impressions:
- Shipping from bestop (CO) to southern california was really quick! About 2-3 days from order submission.
- Installation was a breeze, did a solo install at midnight in the garage & it was easy.
- Didn't use the 5.5 spacer, but will probably add a metal washer eventually.
- Quality of materials was great, everyday touch points are all anodized metal. Inner latch is metal, outer latch is plastic. I think it should hold up okay if you're not too rough with it.

Driving impressions:
- Definitely a bit louder. This is my first time with a ragtop, ambient engine noise & surrounding noise is increased. I personally don't mind. Fair tradeoff for the flexibility.
- 60+MPH driving: a bit more wind noise than MIC 2.0 with the headliner(about 10% more I'd say). I adjusted the striker & it helped somewhat, but it's definitely a bit noisier. Still very easy to live with.
- Being able to drop the top at a red light in less than 5 seconds, priceless.

All in all, totally worth it, 100% recommend!

Ford Bronco Wanting feedback/review of Bestop Sunrider for 2 door tempImageqXcIt

Last edited:

Jack D

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Jeep Liberty 6MT, 93 Explorer 2dr 5MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just found this thread. Copying my review from the 2-door thread:
PROS:
1) I can open or close it in 5 seconds (with my longish arms) and enjoy the open air anywhere, any time.
2) No storage hassle like with the panels.
3) It folds back out of driver’s sight.
4) I can switch back to the hardtop panels, for winter months, in about 20 minutes.
CONS:
5) Closed, it is notably louder than with the hardtop panels, above 45-50 mph.
6) Pricey, even with taking advantage of Ford’s June 20% discount on accessories and no shipping cost through dealer.

I went with the more expensive twill vs. vinyl, for looks, durability and supposedly better insulation. Closed, the Sunrider is pretty taut. The matte black color, though, is darker than the MIC- an excuse to just soft-top the whole thing, if you don’t mind the additional cost and installation effort.

Overall, the Bestop makes this the 2-door, stick shift convertible “sports car” I always wanted, with the added benefits of 4-wheel drive and a commanding view or the road (or trail). I like it!
Ford Bronco Wanting feedback/review of Bestop Sunrider for 2 door 666FB89E-E8D8-455F-AFAE-BD8DC7084F79