Sponsored

Warning check your door and door sill -- drivers side door hitting frame as it closes

OP
OP
Juventus

Juventus

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A common issue, the dealer will send to a body shop to fix under warranty. Mine did this when new, got it back in a couple of days, no issues since. The key is to get it reported when the Bronco is new, 6 months or a year later they will push back on fixing it.
I reported it day one to my dealer they sent to a body shop twice now are saying they dont know what to do. The issue was fixed but has now resurfaced. Just want to tell them what to do.
Sponsored

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reported it day one to my dealer they sent to a body shop twice now are saying they dont know what to do. The issue was fixed but has now resurfaced. Just want to tell them what to do.
Weird, shouldn't be that hard. I was told they aligned the door, no other detail. For what it's worth, my dealer is Ford of Kirkland (WA State), maybe they can tell your dealer what to do?

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
How are the doors adjusted to fix this @soldier989 ?
There's 5 bolts on the door hinge that go into the body, loosen those to tilt the rear of the door (where the handle is, and also where your paint is hitting) up and down.

4 bolts on the hinge that go into the doors. These will allow the door to be moved in or out. Tilt the bottom/top in or out. Also allows the door to move up or down.

The striker can also be adjusted, which may need done after you make any adjustments. There's 2 (T40 I think) screws, take them out a little bit and use a rubber mallet or sand dead blow hammer to tap it into the right place.

It's not that difficult, but can be time consuming. Much easier with 2 people. I recommend taping the edges and to go slow when checking if the door clears your fender. Do this at your own will, I'm merely giving you knowledge to the question you asked.

OP
OP
Juventus

Juventus

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's 5 bolts on the door hinge that go into the body, loosen those to tilt the rear of the door (where the handle is, and also where your paint is hitting) up and down.

4 bolts on the hinge that go into the doors. These will allow the door to be moved in or out. Tilt the bottom/top in or out. Also allows the door to move up or down.

The striker can also be adjusted, which may need done after you make any adjustments. There's 2 (T40 I think) screws, take them out a little bit and use a rubber mallet or sand dead blow hammer to tap it into the right place.

It's not that difficult, but can be time consuming. Much easier with 2 people. I recommend taping the edges and to go slow when checking if the door clears your fender. Do this at your own will, I'm merely giving you knowledge to the question you asked.
Thanks for the help @soldier989 this seems way to common of an issue for @Ford Motor Company not to tell the dealers how to fix this.

Sponsored

soldier989

Base
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Base MT / 2021 MX-5 GT / 1966 Ford F10
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh, I'm sure dealers are aware. I've made numerous aware. Door panel alignment, cowl issues, tailgate alignment. Far as I know, PDI is supposed to catch this stuff. Like a 2nd QA after the factory. Easy to avoid it when these were flying off the lot. Harder when they just sit there.

TangoHunter

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2016 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Definitely not a 2 door issue, everyone gets a crack at it. My 2022 that was received in an October of 2022 had the same issue on the drivers side rear door of my 4 door. I observed it after the first week of driving it. Took paint off bottom corner of door and where it met the door jam just above the rocker. Not sure of the fix as I sold my bronco after the first month of owning it for multiple reasons.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seems pretty common. I keep checking mine to see if the clearance changes.
Mine wasn't that bad, no paint damage.
The dealer saw it right a way and fixed it before I picked it up.
That was April of 2022. I'm surprised, maybe not, that Ford hasn't solved this yet.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The left rear on my '23 was doing it straight off the carrier and was obviously in need of adjustment because the body lines were off. Once I got that sorted it was still touching and didn't want to start messing with the front or egging out the hinges. Lines are good so one of the ways we've found works good is folding up a couple of clean shop rags, lay them over the rocker on the corner that's touching and open and close the door several times. Might have to fold or add more layers to the shop rag to get the desired result but it's a safe way to tweak the door corner without having to worry about scratching or cracking the paint.

We've seen hinge adjustment correct the issue but some, like mine, still have the issue and require some tweaking to the skin itself. Don't know if the issue is in how the doors are assembled or some sort of stacked tolerances in the body, hinges, door skin, inner panel, bonding or all of the above.

Sponsored

Taco2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed mine day one and the dealer did what they could...which was to paint the area where there was metal on metal contact. That said, it didn't "fix" the issue at all, just told me to keep applying touch up paint every few months. Not great.

OP
OP
Juventus

Juventus

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I noticed mine day one and the dealer did what they could...which was to paint the area where there was metal on metal contact. That said, it didn't "fix" the issue at all, just told me to keep applying touch up paint every few months. Not great.
Oh man that's not acceptable they told you that. No car should be like sorry here is a can of paint apply regularly. I would put in a case with Ford and see if another dealership will fix it. Does your dealership have an auto body shop?

Grandpa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Manual Sasq.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I currently have this happening, same exact spot. Ive been using a touch up pen the last few weeks but it inevitably still chips. Finally reached out to Ford today and they had me take it to a body shop to evaluate. Also noticed the entire sill has one long chip from the whole underside of the door. Will update when I hear back, itll be covered under warranty.

OP
OP
Juventus

Juventus

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I currently have this happening, same exact spot. Ive been using a touch up pen the last few weeks but it inevitably still chips. Finally reached out to Ford today and they had me take it to a body shop to evaluate. Also noticed the entire sill has one long chip from the whole underside of the door. Will update when I hear back, itll be covered under warranty.
I just got mine approved to be fixed by Ford. Took about 2 months going back and forth because my dealer doesn't have a body shop. I had to take it to another dealership it's been a pain but hopefully it's fixed soon. It all has to do with alignment of the door.
Sponsored