First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My wife and I were snowed in at about Lake Arrowhead California house two weeks ago. Perhaps you saw that shit show on the national news. I was hoping to make it a mile to a plowed road in my bronco and winch when needed. What actually happened was that chains just dug holes while 20 psi gave me a better result. I could make 15 feet of progress aired down with both lockers on until the the wall of snow would get to the top of the bumper. Then we would shovel the wall down and move forward a little more. In a few spots I had to winch to get unstuck.

In total we made it about 300 feet. Then I started worrying about the snow packing up around the plastic transmission pan… damn I wish I had gotten around to installing a trans skid plate. I made the call to back down my tracks and into my garage and avoid doing any damage.

a few hours later, wife, dog, and I hiked out to a plowed road and a couple we found on Facebook gave us a ride to our Pasadena home an hour and a half away. the next morning I made the flight I had to make for work. We are heading back up tomorrow morning shovel snow and get the bronco.

here is a pic of us walking out 12 days ago. The horizontal metal top bar on the fence to my left is 6 feet tall and I’m walking in the middle of our small road.

18571374-191A-400A-9263-8BF9F5CF9E5F.jpeg
Oh my..yes this is insane Ca getting hit so hard i understand your need to escape....thxs for intel low psi...

fairlane_68

Wildtrak
First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
People like him are the reason why my insurance skyrocketed when I added my Bronco to my policy.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All of this did get me thinking about the drop-offs one routinely goes over in Moab, etc and the possibility of catching the spare when dropping down, even when going carefully and slowly. So I rummaged around in my stuff and found a trailer hitch that will serve nicely as a protector. Does it reduce departure angle a bit? Probably, but I'll give it a try.

IMG_1511.jpeg
It doesn’t just reduce your departure angle, but will hit on rocks short enough that would have cleared the spare. The crossmember the hitch is mounted to is not exactly stout.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It doesn’t just reduce your departure angle, but will hit on rocks short enough that would have cleared the spare. The crossmember the hitch is mounted to is not exactly stout.
Easy solution, bolt one of these bad boys into that hole where the ball would go
Just roll right over those rocks

e-swivel-caster-wheel-main-600px__18053.1568244349.jpg

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seeing that has me thinking that is likely what 60% to 80% of the bronco owners would likely do. They are not car people, so they don't understand all the risks present every time they drive, particularly offroad. They've watched too much Matt's Offroad Recovery and think that's how it's done. It's not bad; it's just the reality. We don't know what we don't know until we run into it.

This became apparent after breaking the rear window and pulling on the spare tire, saying this didn't seem safe to drive on the road.

I wonder what the percentage of people taking advantage of the bronco off-rodeo is? I highly recommend it to people that feel like they are like that guy.

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Correct on every point, but as I said I'll give it a try and see how it works. I kind of like the extra measure of safety. Damage the tailgate or hitch mount? To me the choice is easy. If it doesn't work, it's easy to remove.

Take care.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing that has me thinking that is likely what 60% to 80% of the bronco owners would likely do. They are not car people, so they don't understand all the risks present every time they drive, particularly offroad. They've watched too much Matt's Offroad Recovery and think that's how it's done. It's not bad; it's just the reality. We don't know what we don't know until we run into it.

This became apparent after breaking the rear window and pulling on the spare tire, saying this didn't seem safe to drive on the road.

I wonder what the percentage of people taking advantage of the bronco off-rodeo is? I highly recommend it to people that feel like they are like that guy.
60-80% will never see off road.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Correct on every point, but as I said I'll give it a try and see how it works. I kind of like the extra measure of safety. Damage the tailgate or hitch mount? To me the choice is easy. If it doesn't work, it's easy to remove.

Take care.
The hitch mount is not what I’d be concerned with, but if it works for you.

WJHoch

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was lucky when I had my 2012 Jk. I went with a few very experienced trail jeepers. We would stop before a section. Get out and discuss the lines. Why that was the line and talk through where one could push hard and where to be light. Basically saved me quite a bit of frustration and made it so I would go out more often. Also helped to make sure I had a good chance to drive home as well as not tear up the trails. New to off roading need to follow the never go alone. Especially at first. At minimum bring the common sense approach and ditch the ego at the start to the trails.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This $60k Bronco will be a $30k Bronco in no time! I just don't get buying something so expensive to just destroy but to each their own.

mark1031

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 1966 VW Bus, 1999 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This guy sorry to say seems rather clueless about just about everything.

Way too much gas, almost hit the dude, didnt realize he mangled his door until it was pointed out, still really didnt get it, drives for several miles with a badly aligned front end, rig is all over the road... 🤦‍♂️ good grief.

Msmymny

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nothing to see here...know your approach and departure angles.

Seen this with Jeeps for decades
Sponsored