First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hold up there. Many of us have wives who don't care what we do with our toys. My wife looked at the two dented fenders and the dented window frame on my Bronco and just said I need to use the chainsaw more. She couldn't care less. Some folks need better relationships if breaking something while out having fun makes the other one pissed.

Now, marrying an idiot is on her.
Shouldn't you be chain-sawing right now?
Sponsored

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All of this did get me thinking about the drop-offs one routinely goes over in Moab, etc and the possibility of catching the spare when dropping down, even when going carefully and slowly. So I rummaged around in my stuff and found a trailer hitch that will serve nicely as a protector. Does it reduce departure angle a bit? Probably, but I'll give it a try.

Ford Bronco Watch this Bronco recovery and the damage the owner did to his Bronco IMG_1511

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

35's from the factory probably weigh less than most rooftop tents.
Might as well start warning people of imminent rollovers with RTT's too.
OK…

Folks, be careful of roll over risk with roof top tents, especially those mounted on tall vehicles with tall wheel/tire combinations.

Sponsored

OldMetal

Heritage
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500, 2008 F150, 1977 Cadillac Eldorado,
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

True, how far the throttle is pressed will not increase departure angle. The kinetic energy will decrease the departure angle due to compression of the suspension from bouncing around. Think uncle bucks car from the movie
That's not Uncle Buck, that's me and my crappy High school car. Living the dream baby!

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

35's from the factory probably weigh less than most rooftop tents.
Might as well start warning people of imminent rollovers with RTT's too.
Having just changes out wheels I can tell you that you could mount an RV to the roof and it would be lighter than one wheel and tire! :p

Sponsored

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe or maybe not. I recently had very mixed results with chain in 5 foot deep snow. I did much better with low air pressure for more float than chains which seem to want to dig. Of course there was no way I was going to dig to hard ground where he could at least get to earth. Either way it is really a story that deserves it's own post.
Chains have saved me everytime in snow ..now 5 feet of fresh snow is not what i would ever attempt nor would i even try .. im talking maybe 20 inches ... what the hell do you drive that can push through 5 feet of snow? Snowcats can barely do that...

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
+1. We were on an elk trip this last November, and the snow got deep on a steep hill. Chains, just on the open diff front made a huge difference, going from stuck to not, with little drama (not my Bronco). I was watching this video of the recovery vehicle and the Bronco and all the spinning and lack of traction, even with lockers, and I just wanted to scream. I don’t know what chains cost for 35’s but their damn near free when you compare it to this Charlie Foxtrot.
Got my 35inch chains 160$

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed nobody mentioned using “traction boards” in this situation. I tried them when I got stuck in wet sand and they were useless. I ended up cutting one of them up just to make a bigger shovel (I carry a chainsaw). Curious if ANYBODY can tell a story of how a “traction board” got them out of a bad situation like this.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Chains have saved me everytime in snow ..now 5 feet of fresh snow is not what i would ever attempt nor would i even try .. im talking maybe 20 inches ... what the hell do you drive that can push through 5 feet of snow? Snowcats can barely do that...
My wife and I were snowed in at about Lake Arrowhead California house two weeks ago. Perhaps you saw that shit show on the national news. I was hoping to make it a mile to a plowed road in my bronco and winch when needed. What actually happened was that chains just dug holes while 20 psi gave me a better result. I could make 15 feet of progress aired down with both lockers on until the the wall of snow would get to the top of the bumper. Then we would shovel the wall down and move forward a little more. In a few spots I had to winch to get unstuck.

In total we made it about 300 feet. Then I started worrying about the snow packing up around the plastic transmission pan… damn I wish I had gotten around to installing a trans skid plate. I made the call to back down my tracks and into my garage and avoid doing any damage.

a few hours later, wife, dog, and I hiked out to a plowed road and a couple we found on Facebook gave us a ride to our Pasadena home an hour and a half away. the next morning I made the flight I had to make for work. We are heading back up tomorrow morning shovel snow and get the bronco.

here is a pic of us walking out 12 days ago. The horizontal metal top bar on the fence to my left is 6 feet tall and I’m walking in the middle of our small road.

Ford Bronco Watch this Bronco recovery and the damage the owner did to his Bronco 18571374-191A-400A-9263-8BF9F5CF9E5F

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
maybe. throttle control would have not increased departure angle

BUT def too much throttle caused a significant amount of damage
It sucks and some lessons are expensive. Content creators are always pushing it in the hopes of getting clicks. Throttle control would have reduced suspension compression through the bottom transition. Suspension needs time to catch up and he had a spotter to check the angle, and change the line if necessary. The was an expensive off road driving lesson. Also when someone says back straight up and you turn the wheel. It’s a way to lose a fender or go off an edge. Steering angle is in the off-road screen for a reason.
Sponsored