First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone installed the Weld 74 Stage 1 cap and bushing on a Hoss 3.0 steering gear? If so, how did you overcome the disparity of the Weld 74 cover where the OEM boot slips on being 0.155 thousandths smaller than the OEM cover? If the boot was flexible as is the ICON tie rod set it may be possible to clamp it. Being that the OEM boot is a rigid design it would be almost impossible to overcome the smaller cover lip. Just curious how others dealt with this issue. Thanks

IMG_4259.JPG
Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you order the Hoss 3.0 option when you bought your kit? Ours installed right on with some minor fitment.

OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes Sir, I did order the Hoss 3.0 option. The Hoss 3.0 lip measures 2.750" in diameter and the OEM lip measure 2.855" in diameter. The OEM boot fits loose. If you were to force a clamp it will bunch the boot as it is larger. Thank you for the response.

Another question would be why did they not machine a groove in the lip as the OEM cover has?

Ford Bronco Weld 74 Hoss 3.0 Cap and Bushing IMG_4260.JPG

Last edited:

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hmmm good question. The one I installed didn’t have a lip either. Never thought about it, I’d call up 74weld, they have good customer service. Maybe yours is trimmed down to much or you accidentally got a 2.0 somehow… idk.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes Sir, I did order the Hoss 3.0 option. The Hoss 3.0 lip measures 1.750" in diameter and the OEM lip measure 1.855" in diameter. The OEM boot fits loose. If you were to force a clamp it will bunch the boot as it is larger. Thank you for the response.

Another question would be why did they not machine a groove in the lip as the OEM cover has?

Ford Bronco Weld 74 Hoss 3.0 Cap and Bushing IMG_4260.JPG
HI
I am interested in purchasing stage 1 for the HOSS3.0 and your questioning is very timely. It's easy for 74WELD TO MAKE THE MODIFICATION and machine a groove on the lip. The boots must be solid and waterproof otherwise you break the rack. You ask a good question and you should ask 74weld so that he can improve the product. Their product must also adapt to the tye rod of the HOSS3.0 AND NOT JUST TO ICON And this perfectly.
TRACKTOY

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I spoke with Weld 74 and they said they purposely make this lip size smaller. They stated that they have seen various boot sizes and therefore make the lip small. I do not understand why they would not just make the Weld 74 lip the same size as the OEM lip. I could not get a straight answer to this question. Can anyone that has a 3.0 rack please measure the lip diameter please. I am interested to see if these racks have different lip sizes.

OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HI
I am interested in purchasing stage 1 for the HOSS3.0 and your questioning is very timely. It's easy for 74WELD TO MAKE THE MODIFICATION and machine a groove on the lip. The boots must be solid and waterproof otherwise you break the rack. You ask a good question and you should ask 74weld so that he can improve the product. Their product must also adapt to the tye rod of the HOSS3.0 AND NOT JUST TO ICON And this perfectly.
TRACKTOY
I am not happy with the way the boot fits on mine, it is to loose. I would check with Bronc buster and see what the diameter of their lip is and if the boot fits better.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am not happy with the way the boot fits on mine, it is to loose. I would check with Bronc buster and see what the diameter of their lip is and if the boot fits better.
Maybe people having to buy BB parts to make 74 weld stuff work will get them to include parts that work with the kit.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HI
for me I install HOSS 3.0 FIRST. Afterwards I will see if I install the 74weld or the BRONCO BUSTER. FOR me the tie rod boots are very important because if not perfect, NO WAY. $$$ not important to me only the best.
TRACKTOY

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I spoke with Weld 74 and they said they purposely make this lip size smaller. They stated that they have seen various boot sizes and therefore make the lip small. I do not understand why they would not just make the Weld 74 lip the same size as the OEM lip. I could not get a straight answer to this question. Can anyone that has a 3.0 rack please measure the lip diameter please. I am interested to see if these racks have different lip sizes.
Here's mine

Ford Bronco Weld 74 Hoss 3.0 Cap and Bushing 20240311_114427

Also note: I have their full housing and the 3.0 boots fit it perfectly, so maybe they sent you the wrong one?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's mine

Ford Bronco Weld 74 Hoss 3.0 Cap and Bushing 20240311_114427

Also note: I have their full housing and the 3.0 boots fit it perfectly, so maybe they sent you the wrong one?
Thank you, that is exactly what my 3.0 OEM housing measures.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HI
BUT the real size size of stage 1 for HOSS 3.0 DE 74WELD IS ??
to do on the FORD 3.0 stering rack. DID YOU CAN USE STAGE 1 WITHOUT boot PROBLEM on FORD OEM 3.0 STERING RACK?
TRACKTOY

OP
OP
Jms1

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HI
BUT the real size size of stage 1 for HOSS 3.0 DE 74WELD IS ??
to do on the FORD 3.0 stering rack. DID YOU CAN USE STAGE 1 WITHOUT boot PROBLEM on FORD OEM 3.0 STERING RACK?
TRACKTOY
I purchased a new Ford OEM NB3Z-3504-M steering rack. The Weld 74 billet cap lip where the tie rod boot is clamped to is 0.105" smaller than the cap you remove from the rack. Factory rack lip on both sides is 2.855" diameter while the Weld 74 is 2.750" diameter. Can it be used, probably. Is it what I hoped for in regards to fit, not so much. Can I use the supplied clamp and expect water not to enter, highly improbable. But to be fair 74 Weld says the rack lip size is not all the same for 3.0 housings. So I would say measure your boots and see if this works for you, personal choice.

Again, it would be nice for others to measure their racks and see what variations we see. Also, it would be nice to see what size BroncBuster makes their lip size as comparison.

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Thought FORD makes the HOSS 3.0 with dimension variations! Yeah, their boots are identical for the HOSS 3.0. So, 74weld should adjust to Ford's size. Yeah I still think that jobber is Jobber not OEM.
TRACKTOY ( But to be fair 74 Weld says the rack lip size is not all the same for 3.0 housings. )????

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could some rubber strip like material or even a bicycle tube not be used as a shim?
Sponsored