Sponsored

What’s this metal piece under my Bronco?

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Had my Bronco (4door HE 2.3 Auto) for about a month now and I just noticed a curved metal piece bolted in right under the passenger side only. Doesn’t seem to be covering anything so I’m not sure if I should remove it or keep it. Anyone else has something similar?

IMG_4990.jpeg

IMG_4991.jpeg
That keeps the "Stop Oil" protestors, that block the road, from getting stuck on your transmission/transfer case as you drive over them :oops:
Sponsored

OP
OP
TXBronco1313

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

That keeps the "Stop Oil" protestors, that block the road, from getting stuck on your transmission/transfer case as you drive over them :oops:
LOL I really hope they know better not to try something like this here in the republic of Texas. Last thing I want is a broken transmission pan

Last edited:

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I noticed that piece on my Big Bend and figured it was some sort of weird deflector.

I can’t remember if it was on my 2023 or not since I only had it a few days.

I assume this little piece goes away when skids are added?

Sponsored
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Impala, 22 Explorer, 23 Big Bend SAS 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That looks like a deflector for the gas tank since the front edge of the tank is exposed and plastic. Do you have a gas tank skid? Maybe this is if you don't have a skid on the tank, you get the deflector to protect from rocks or road debris being flung up while driving.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since you were under there looking, did you notice your plastic transmission pan? A very good idea would be to get a metal skid plate, especially if you go off road. Doesn’t take much for a rock to break it.
I've seen one reported issue with the plastic trans pan and that looks like it took a special effort to puncture. That pan is way up there and you'd have to try very hard to damage it. Not saying you shouldn't protect it but knowing the weakness might help you avoid damaging it.

OP
OP
TXBronco1313

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I noticed that piece on my Big Bend and figured it was some sort of weird deflector.

I can’t remember if it was on my 2023 or not since I only had it a few days.

I assume this little piece goes away when skids are added?
I don’t remember seeeing this piece on my 23 big bend either (2 door) but yeah I think it skid plates are added, this goes away

OP
OP
TXBronco1313

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I've seen one reported issue with the plastic trans pan and that looks like it took a special effort to puncture. That pan is way up there and you'd have to try very hard to damage it. Not saying you shouldn't protect it but knowing the weakness might help you avoid damaging it.
Yeah I don’t think it’s THAT fragile but I’m really considering getting OEM skid plates installed

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve seen more than one, but I just give advice on here. Plastic doesn’t hold up to a rock, and if you’re off roading, and you spear it, you’ll be dead in the water, so to speak.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t remember seeeing this piece on my 23 big bend either (2 door) but yeah I think it skid plates are added, this goes away
2-dr Broncos include a metal skid for the gas tank regardless of trim. Moar Doors that don't come with the factory skids get the deflector that you were asking about.

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And no one said Flux Capacitor... 🤷‍♂️

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Since you were under there looking, did you notice your plastic transmission pan? A very good idea would be to get a metal skid plate, especially if you go off road. Doesn’t take much for a rock to break it.

The plastic pan might stand up to a rock hit better than diecast aluminum.