Sponsored

What’s this metal piece under my Bronco?

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ahh okay I’m glad I asked because I had the drill in my hand ready to go lol
What would you have used the drill for pray tell?
Sponsored

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Missing rear cup holder.

BobN - USAF

Big Bend
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend, 1942 Ford GPW (jeep)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I got the same piece of junk on my 23 Big Bend. Didn't come with any skids just that thing and those stupid plastic dust deflectors. When I added I did the fuel tank skid I trashed it. It bolts into a cross member. No big deal.

Dantastic

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
OBX Sas Bronco, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got the same piece of junk on my 23 Big Bend. Didn't come with any skids just that thing and those stupid plastic dust deflectors. When I added I did the fuel tank skid I trashed it. It bolts into a cross member. No big deal.
Same except I have mine sitting in the shelf in my garage because I am one of those people who has trouble throwing something away lol. It'll probably sit there for the rest of my life.

Sponsored

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2-dr Broncos include a metal skid for the gas tank regardless of trim. Moar Doors that don't come with the factory skids get the deflector that you were asking about.
I thought so . I kept looking at mine A 2D bigbend and saw there was a metal cover on gas tank , I am in the process of installing a trans. Skid plate
Freaking awesome! I don’t have to spend money on it

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve seen more than one, but I just give advice on here. Plastic doesn’t hold up to a rock, and if you’re off roading, and you spear it, you’ll be dead in the water, so to speak.
You are correct, dead in the water.

The one instance I know about was the one Rory pulled out. What are the other ones you know about?

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You are correct, dead in the water.

The one instance I know about was the one Rory pulled out. What are the other ones you know about?
Just seen pics and videos. Can’t remember if it was FB or YouTube. The pan skid was one of the first things I bought when I was doing my build. I went with RCI.

I can almost understand why Ford did it (weight savings, cost), but it is so open to any type of damage, rocks, sticks, metal, etc. IMO, not worth the risk if you off road not to have a skid. If you don’t off road, chances definitely are less, but…..

OP
OP
TXBronco1313

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Just installed ASFIR this weekend. Super easy install.

Ford Bronco What’s this metal piece under my Bronco? IMG_8308
I actually just called my dealership to see if they can install them for me once I order them and they said sure they’ll do it within the same day. Do you think it’s easy enough for me to do it? I’m just a little worried I don’t have a lift so I’m gonna have to squeeze myself underneath

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just seen pics and videos. Can’t remember if it was FB or YouTube. The pan skid was one of the first things I bought when I was doing my build. I went with RCI.

I can almost understand why Ford did it (weight savings, cost), but it is so open to any type of damage, rocks, sticks, metal, etc. IMO, not worth the risk if you off road not to have a skid. If you don’t off road, chances definitely are less, but…..

If you have no skids I'd put the skids elsewhere first and just be aware of the potential danger to the pan (tires on obstacles not around them, etc.). It's like the tie rods, awareness alone will prevent a ton of problems.

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I actually just called my dealership to see if they can install them for me once I order them and they said sure they’ll do it within the same day. Do you think it’s easy enough for me to do it? I’m just a little worried I don’t have a lift so I’m gonna have to squeeze myself underneath
I don’t have a lift and it literally took 10 minutes. I have the SAS front and engine skids which are metal, so don’t have trim engine skid as ASFIR’s video suggests. Just unbolted the engine skid with my impact, installed four bolts of the trans skid and replaced engine skid. Save your time and money, my two cents.

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You can totally do it. Its a great way to gain a little experience.

Go slow get all the bolts in but dont tighten them until they are all in. If you cannot align all bolt holes in the skid plate just use your jack to flex either the Bronco or the plate itself into the proper position.

Last edited:

JawnyBronco

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My’23 has the deflector as well, just noticed it the other day as I gazed out the window of a Cafe. I find it ironic that my 2006 Honda Pilot had standard steel skid over the plastic gas tank… 🤨

OP
OP
TXBronco1313

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Can you pls send me the link to the skid plate?
Sponsored