Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Like many have said it's many different reasons, many of those add up together for the whole. Exploring Death Valley or another amazing place and seeing places & things, going where pedestrian vehicles can't; opens up a world of places you wouldn't be able to go to with a CUV AWD or a lessor car.

Some of it is a combination of exploring, humans have always been explorers, and driving over challenging terrain to get there makes it all the more fun and remote (read less crowded*). And having the skills to do so while driving a Bronco is way more fun than the old days of an actual Bronco and a wagon struggling to get over the mountain and through the desert... Just to have to go over another mountain.

*many places I use to go as a kid had a handful of people you'd see during a day out, now those same places have a 100 cars there; so we go farther out into the wild.

And then there are those that rock crawl, that's can get expensive, but fun too... If you're someone who can afford the repairs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

^^^^^ This...

I rode and raced motorcycle enduros for years and also had ATVs. Turned 60 this yr and really began feeling the wear and tear on the body. Still have bikes but I'm a bit weary about tackling terrain I used to dive into without thought. Was out on a few group offload bike rides hitting fairly tough trails over the summer and felt it for days afterward. Bought a Bronco, a SXS and dual sport this year and really enjoy them. The dual sport is nice for scouting trails. I know most all of the single track in the area but not much about the dual track and wider trails. We always avoided those. Used to be the tighter the better...
Ah, to be 60 again............You should try Vintage MX, limits on suspension travel and very mild tracks. I run my BSA 441 Round Barrel now that I sold my Maico 501 for a stupid amount of money. For reference:
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? 1702242792429

Some folks run Gold Stars that are worth at least as much as a new Bronco and its more for fun than anything serious.

0FFR0AD

Heritage
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage Limited 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Because you have to leave the pavement for this scenery, peace and tranquility.

Where is this? Can you share gps coordinates? Or google maps locstion

Sponsored

PA BRaptor

Raptor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ah, to be 60 again............You should try Vintage MX, limits on suspension travel and very mild tracks. I run my BSA 441 Round Barrel now that I sold my Maico 501 for a stupid amount of money. For reference:

Some folks run Gold Stars that are worth at least as much as a new Bronco and its more for fun than anything serious.

Very sweet bike!!! I rode a few Maico's and Bultaco's back in the 70's. I've watch Vintage MX and it does look like fun.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Why do folks jump out of perfectly good aircraft?

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Ford Bronco What is the appeal of off-roading? IMG_1452

because the world is beautiful and most of us are forced to live in the confines of a city or the suburbs. Loading up in the 4x4 affords you the opportunity to go and reconnect with the greater world absent of modern society.
man v nature type adventure.
also the community of off road (most my experience is dirt bikes and rock crawlers) spending time with good hard working humble folks that are wildly creative and resourceful is a nice change from so called “civilized” society.

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Very sweet bike!!! I rode a few Maico's and Bultaco's back in the 70's. I've watch Vintage MX and it does look like fun.
The early 501's (like mine, Serial #20) were 54HP and 3-Speed.

1st - absolutely worthless. Either flip the 240# bike over or shred the rear tire. No "between"!
2nd - see above.
3rd - Only gear I ever used. Going 40-45, front end leaving the ground was determined on how you dialed the throttle. You never just "twisted the throttle"...........................never!

Had a Persang and Astro Bultaco's for a bit, Greeves, AJS a few Husky's. Still have a 79 Husky 390 OR which is a long wheelbase desert sled. Always wanted a Monark 500 or Husky Albin 500 but 6-figures is a little out of my budget for an MX bike.

Funny, just remembered I have a brand new, in the crate Hodaka Super Rat engine that was purchased new by a high school friend on mine and was sent to a SoCal tuner for port work. He was killed in a car crash before he could use it and I bought it from the family. Its been sitting in my garage for 30 years or there-bouts. Cwrap, thinking about it, I have a new Triumph Trophy 500 engine sitting in a crate as well. Should build another Vintage MX around it.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Have you tried off-roading in your Bronco Sport...?
Don't sneer at the Sport needlessly
The Sport BL can actually go places where at least 95 percent of full size Broncos will never go, just look at the YT videos where skilled drivers have taken it.

To the OP: off-roading as an end to itself is completely pointless to some of us. I use mine as a means of getting to remote places without having to hike 15-20 miles. There so much BLM land in Utah and AZ that is at least as beautiful as any national park but accessible only if you stare at satellite maps carefully for the faint indications of semi abandoned dirt roads. Those are typically not too difficult roads but they do require high clearance, good tires, and occasionally lockers. Scrapes, while not expected on such roads, sometimes do happen.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where is this? Can you share gps coordinates? Or google maps locstion
I can provide a download from GaiaGPS if you use it. It’s Spring Canyon Point overlooking the Green River in the Labyrinth Canyon Wilderness in Utah, unfortunately I believe I read that BLM may be closing this area to protect cultural sites. Check before you go as to the status.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can provide a download from GaiaGPS if you use it. It’s Spring Canyon Point overlooking the Green River in the Labyrinth Canyon Wilderness in Utah, unfortunately I believe I read that BLM may be closing this area to protect cultural sites. Check before you go as to the status.
This is why you should join the blue ribbon coalition and tread lightly!!

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Believe it or not a fully decked out 4 passenger side by side is closer to 50K these days. The price of mid range machine with a cab and heat is closer to 25K to 30K. Hard to believe but that's the going rate-- hence why Broncos/Jeeps are a good option and really not that much more money-- and they are street legal everywhere as opposed to designated areas.
No. Been riding sxs a long time. U can get a brand new 1000 Wolverine x2 or Honda Talon for around $20k or less. If u can only get 1 vehicle then of course a sxs doesn’t make sense I’m just saying u can get a more basic Bronco trim AND a sxs if u really wanna off-road seriously and have more fun.
Sponsored