Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have used the disconnect. It is similar to the locking differentials. I would not use all 3 all the time for the sake of saying I did. The disconnect is good for when you have one wheel that is partially or fully off the ground. Locking the other wheel is medium helpful. Having both wheels on the rock/ground is more helpful. In an applicable situation, you can feel and see the vehicle articulate. There is a difference.
They have nothing to do with each other, the disco is part of the suspension, the lockers are part of the driveline.
Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They have nothing to do with each other, the disco is part of the suspension, the lockers are part of the driveline.
A locking differential and a sway bar disconnect are generally used for the same purpose. You want to transfer engine power to a wheel that has traction. I am sorry that a lack of prepositional phrase and unclear antecedent left you wondering my intent.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Having the front disconnected off road is night and day especially when it comes to comfort you don’t get tossed around like when it’s connected the front just soaks it all up. I also get lazy and don’t reconnect mine till I get home. It’s a pain in the ass crawling on the ground when it’s all muddy to reconnect them and you gotta be on perfect level ground. Like mentioned the bronco actually drives quite well without the front swaybar connected but when you do connect back up it brings the sport feel back then you can hit those off ramps at full speed again. Having swaybar disconnects are very beneficial.

Last edited:

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You have created a vehicle with no capability for evasive maneuvers. Not smart, but it’s your life.
I'm sure that's a well researched opinion. I've removed all mine as well and it's not overly noticeable. I've been driving that way for years and I've only died twice.

Sponsored

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The sway bar has nothing to do with power delivery, it only affects suspension articulation. The more one wheel lifts without the other, the more the sway bar twists and resists the height difference between the two. This is very helpful when cornering at medium speeds and above, but when rock-crawling, it drastically restricts articulation of the front suspension. The lockers lock the rotation of the two wheels on the axle together - if one turns, so does the other. "Power Transfer" is just a marketing term, it has no real engineering meaning.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure that's a well researched opinion. I've removed all mine as well and it's not overly noticeable. I've been driving that way for years and I've only died twice.
You are probably right, race cars put them on because they don't care about how much weight they add to a vehicle without any discernable benefit and auto manufacturers add them because they don't care how much money it costs them to make the vehicle.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me, this:

I've not encountered too many situations where I strictly need it for articulation / traction, but it makes roads like this (plenty of them around here) a LOT smoother. Something I appreciate now that I'm in my 50s. Being able to disconnect at the press of a button is icing on the cake, and means more fun time rather than more laying under the truck time.

roughrd.jpg

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You would not want to drive above 20-30 MPH without the sway bar. It would handle like crap and roll over far to easily.
That's a myth. Cars and trucks were made without swaybars at all for decades.

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are probably right, race cars put them on because they don't care about how much weight they add to a vehicle without any discernable benefit and auto manufacturers add them because they don't care how much money it costs them to make the vehicle.

Did you buy a race trim that I haven't heard about? Saying "You have created a vehicle with no capability for evasive maneuvers." and "race cars put them on" are both wildly different statements and ridiculous. Are you planning on adding some spoilers or brake venting because race cars do it? There have been vehicles without sway bars on the road for years and, somehow, most of them don't immediately flip and roll as they depart the dealer's lot. You may be slightly overestimating their impact on handling. I promise you won't tip over and catch fire as soon as you remove that last end link.

Sponsored

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you buy a race trim that I haven't heard about? Saying "You have created a vehicle with no capability for evasive maneuvers." and "race cars put them on" are both wildly different statements and ridiculous. Are you planning on adding some spoilers or brake venting because race cars do it? There have been vehicles without sway bars on the road for years and, somehow, most of them don't immediately flip and roll as they depart the dealer's lot. You may be slightly overestimating their impact on handling. I promise you won't tip over and catch fire as soon as you remove that last end link.
In a sudden turn, such as a child running into the street, the Bronco (or any vehicle) should lose traction between the tire and pavement and spin out before lifting the inside tires and risking a roll-over. It is certainly safer to stay on all fours than it is to roll onto the side. No, the Bronco is not a race car, but the same dynamics and principles apply. A sway bar resists body roll in a corner - period. Maybe you know better than the Ford engineers, though - I think FCA could use some of your innovative thinking, you should apply for a job with them.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a myth. Cars and trucks were made without swaybars at all for decades.
Are you suggesting that vehicle handling has not improved over the past several decades?

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Bruzer22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like a sweet name for an off road focused night club, welcome to the Sway Bar Disco! Swingers only, stop by and articulate any time!
Sponsored