First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Badlands and have used the sway bar disco but haven't really seen the advantage. If the front and rear are locked, it doesn't seem to do much. Plus, when locked, once a tire gets lifted, all the weight and traction is transferred to the tire with traction. I have wheeled for a long time and was looking forward to having a rig with the disco, now I think it's over rated.

Ford Bronco What is the point of sway bar disco? 7z5v
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Articulation. Broncos articulation sucks to begin with, w/sway bar connected its worse than a toyota camry. I use mine, but haven't done much technical stuff yet. I'll be the 1st to admit the hydraulic disco is pretty gimmicky. Some disco links, or just unbolt the whole thing and throw it away woulda been fine. Compared to the disco on power wagon or Rubicon its badass tho!

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...om-chicago-auto-show-demo-rides-course.36634/

Last edited:

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The sway bar disconnect has nothing to do with the lockers. It lets the front suspension articulate much more without transferring the motion to the vehicle. The purpose of a sway bar, is to reduce the roll of the vehicle when cornering at medium and high speeds. The downside of that, is at slow speeds, when a wheel is lifted (over a rock for example) the body will roll along with it. With the disconnect active, it acts like there is no sway bar and the wheel can articulate much more freely from the rest of the vehicle. It has very little to do with traction (other than letting the wheel stay in city with the ground a little more).

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The sway bar disconnect has nothing to do with the lockers. It lets the front suspension articulate much more without transferring the motion to the vehicle. The purpose of a sway bar, is to reduce the roll of the vehicle when cornering at medium and high speeds. The downside of that, is at slow speeds, when a wheel is lifted (over a rock for example) the body will roll along with it. With the disconnect active, it acts like there is no sway bar and the wheel can articulate much more freely from the rest of the vehicle. It has very little to do with traction (other than letting the wheel stay in city with the ground a little more).
I guess I’ve never been in a situation where it seemed to help but have only had the Bronco on one week long Offroad trip.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Articulation. Broncos articulation sucks to begin with, w/sway bar connected its worse than a toyota camry. I use mine, but haven't done much technical stuff yet. I'll be the 1st to admit the hydraulic disco is pretty gimmicky. Some disco links, or just unbolt the whole thing and throw it away woulda been fine. Compared to the disco on power wagon or Rubicon its badass tho!
You would not want to drive above 20-30 MPH without the sway bar. It would handle like crap and roll over far to easily.

Sponsored

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess I’ve never been in a situation where it seemed to help but have only had the Bronco on one week long Offroad trip.
It will make for a smoother ride off road at low speeds. It will automatically reconnect above about 20 MPH, IIRC.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're not seeing any advantage when using the disconnect, then you're not crawling hard enough obstacles. It's kind of like asking "what's the point in having four wheel drive? When I drove to the grocery store I put it in four wheel drive and didn't notice any advantage." Lol.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You would not want to drive above 20-30 MPH without the sway bar. It would handle like crap and roll over far to easily.
Already have. All my other 4x4 vehicles I just take it off. I mean I HAD the disconnect links, but I got too lazy to keep reconnecting them and just hit the road after wheeling. I got used to the sway and said "Eff it!" A Bronco, or a Jeep, is not a road racer! Just take it easy turning and it's fine. But, ya...it is nice taking high speed turns in my new Bronco and feeling like I'm driving a corvette! So sway bar disco? I like it so far!

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Already have. All my other 4x4 vehicles I just take it off. I mean I HAD the disconnect links, but I got too lazy to keep reconnecting them and just hit the road after wheeling. I got used to the sway and said "Eff it!" A Bronco, or a Jeep, is not a road racer! Just take it easy turning and it's fine. But, ya...it is nice taking high speed turns in my new Bronco and feeling like I'm driving a corvette! So sway bar disco? I like it so far!
You have created a vehicle with no capability for evasive maneuvers. Not smart, but it’s your life.

OP
OP
BottleShark

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're not seeing any advantage when using the disconnect, then you're not crawling hard enough obstacles. It's kind of like asking "what's the point in having four wheel drive? When I drove to the grocery store I put it in four wheel drive and didn't notice any advantage." Lol.
We did Websters pass and Ironclads in Co. last month. No I'm not "Rock Crawling" over boulders, but we have hit some harder trails. I guess I just figured it would make a huge difference. One thing for sure is it makes a difference when higher speeds on bumpy roads. You can tell how much rougher it is when it reconnects at over 25mph.

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We did Websters pass and Ironclads in Co. last month. No I'm not "Rock Crawling" over boulders, but we have hit some harder trails. I guess I just figured it would make a huge difference. One thing for sure is it makes a difference when higher speeds on bumpy roads. You can tell how much rougher it is when it reconnects at over 25mph.
I've crawled so many years in a 71' bronco that's locked front and back and long arm solid front axle, the 22' Badlands with Sasq feels like I have zero flex even when it's disconnected lol.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the sway bar disco reconnects automatically over 20 mph to prevent exactly what you describe which is dangerous for the average driver.

The disconnect is not mechanical and totally controlled likely by some electric hydronic system or something like that.

I don’t yet have my Bronco, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night! ;)

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have used the disconnect. It is similar in purpose to the locking differentials. I would not use all 3 all the time for the sake of saying I did. The disconnect is good for when you have one wheel that is partially or fully off the ground. Locking the other wheel is medium helpful. Having both wheels on the rock/ground is more helpful. In an applicable situation, you can feel and see the vehicle articulate. There is a difference.

Last edited:

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When disco’d it helps you hit 3 wheel coming out of corners on boost.
Sponsored