Sponsored

What would be Plan B larger vehicle for a family hauler?

OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
FWIW, I backed out of my Bronco. I'm going to go see a Lexus RX350 tomorrow. (Second time, first was just for a fly-by, do-I-fit? visit.) I have realized that I need to abandon my hope of off-roading for now - family duties come first. But no reason that I cannot use the TBD new vehicle to go see as much as I can from the blacktop.

Our choices for off-roading are really limited if the Bronco and Wrangler are off the menu. I've climbed in a few other models since Wed and they didn't work. Grand Cherokee -not all that grand. Wrangler is even smaller than Bronco. Not going to bother with a 4Runner - obsolete and guzzles gasoline, and I don't have time to wait for them to release a new version. After a lot of reflection, I don't feel good about the bad news surrounding the release of the new Explorer. There were a lot of problems in the newspapers. Patriotism and family heritage has to give way to the fear of getting a sub-par vehicle.

The RX350 seems to be a good blend of all of what I need. It's kissing cousins to the Toyota Highlander - big enough, seems right on paper.

Then I felt bad about buying from the guys who clobbered Ford when I was a kid, until I did some research ... the RX350 is assembled in Cambridge, Ontario - which is right between Guelph and Kitchener. The people working on that assembly line are basically hometown-adjacent for where I'm from, in the grand scheme of things. Good enough for this Rust Belt native.
Sponsored

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what Iā€™m reading here. Most would really be better off not getting a Bronco but a mini van. Load up all the kids hook up the bike racks throw the luggage on the roof and hit the road. Great family vehicle

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not what youā€™re looking for, but for me itā€™s a crew cab pickup.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Subaru ascent.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good luck right now
Supply is very weird. Stopped by my chosen dealership two weeks ago to talk to the "Bronco Guy". They had at least 30 crew cab F-150s on the lot, most of them 2020s. They even had eight STX trim, which is what my wife wanted. (she wanted as basic as possible with center console and rear A/C = STX) Nobody else in town seems to have that package.

Didn't get a great price, but got $5200 in incentives from Ford, $1500 from the Dealer, another $2000 trade in credit from Ford, so I thought it was certainly fair. And the wife loves her new Velocity Blue truck.

TwinTurboStang

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brodiak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Supply is very weird. Stopped by my chosen dealership two weeks ago to talk to the "Bronco Guy". They had at least 30 crew cab F-150s on the lot, most of them 2020s. They even had eight STX trim, which is what my wife wanted. (she wanted as basic as possible with center console and rear A/C = STX) Nobody else in town seems to have that package.

Didn't get a great price, but got $5200 in incentives from Ford, $1500 from the Dealer, another $2000 trade in credit from Ford, so I thought it was certainly fair. And the wife loves her new Velocity Blue truck.
Wow most lots donā€™t have much and want all the money for what they do have

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow most lots donā€™t have much and want all the money for what they do have
Note: $7200 of those incentives were from Ford, so not out of the Dealership's pocket. Now that mama Ford is building again, they want the 2020s off dealer lots.

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Subaru ascent.
This.

The wife and I absolutely love ours. tons of space, really good power, tows 5k, gets 34 mpg just cruising down the highway.

And subaru's AWD system (yes yes, not a 4x4) is top notch

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When does the 4Runner get redesigned ??

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Toyota is currently using the same motor in the tundra that's been there since 2007, I think.

Toyota doesn't redesign shit, not when not changing things makes them sell like hotcakes

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Short answer is it doesnā€™t exist. And yes. 4 runner is obsolete. As is GX.

I need what OP needs but sticking with the bronco. Iā€™ll eventually outgrow it and convince wife to upgrade her commuter sedan to an XC90 or the likes. The Atlas is a good choice also.

to me the edge was also a good in betweener size wise. But IDK. For the family hauler rig Iā€™m liking going lease with a European. Iā€™ve realized American cars do not lease well. The bronco will probably be the first and last vehicle I purchase. 1. I always lease and never need more than 5k/yr and the lease deals are beyond offensive on bronco and 2. I donā€™t want to have the conversation in 3 years. I want to cling on to it regardless of its capabilities family wise. I know it doesnā€™t fit the bill entirely and if I were to lease I know it would be a family decision to say goodbye to the bronco in 36 mos. certainly not waiting 12+ months over 36 months of ownership

Iā€™d kill for the bronco to be a couple inches wider and a half a foot longer. It would solve a lot of my problems. But thatā€™s not the intended use for this vehicle.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs