Sponsored

Who has the leverage in all this: Buyer or Dealer?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In thinking about negotiations with dealerships I am curious to know in a situation like we have here with a popular new release with a lot of interest...who has the upper hand dealer or buyer? Dealer that has the product that is in demand but they know there have a buyer class that can use the 'net to shop around and pit dealer against dealer, or a buyer who can use internet research and forums like this to shop around but the dealer knows there is a strong desire by the desire to get the product right now? Just thinking out loud...

Buyer always has control with the word NO...

With this reservation type of buying it puts even more power in the pocket of the buyer as you can move your reservation to your dealer of choice...

When pricing finally comes out we will be able to "shop" for price and location that best suits our needs, get the "deal" in writing and then move or stay at the dealership we want..
Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In this case, I would say the dealer has the leverage. I mean, choose the right dealer so you can get the X-plan and stuff, but beyond that, if you try to play hardball, there's probably a dozen people or more at your local dealer ready to buy anything that hits the showroom floor from any reservations that fell through.
Cancelled reservations do not leave the Bronco on the floor it is eliminated from the system to order..

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The dealers are salivating, waiting to jump on anyone who balks in the financing room at the very end when the vehicle is delivered to their lots. Buyers can't just sit back and wait until then, thinking they will just negotiate as if the dealer needs their money right then and there. If a buyer doesn't bring X-Plan or have the benefit of being part of a group buy with a pre-negotiated price, they are at the mercy of their chosen dealer.

If the % off Broncos delivered to non reservation holders is too high Ford will "audit" them...I would not want my order there...may take some time for Ford to finish the "audit"...

Ford knows how dealers try to game the system and will be watching closely...

That is the reason when I have been asked about people walking away from the ordered vehicle I have said our main goal is to deliver them to the reservation holder...

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Imagine that same dealer getting 10-20% finance refusal, walk outs, no show and so on.
We certainly hope that is not the percentage...

Ford will not look kindly on that at all...

Their percentage of "marked" deliveries would not be acceptable at near that number...single digits at best.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For the first six months to a year after the Bronco hits dealer lots, there is not going to be any dealers fighting for your business. They will ask what they want and get it. Because if reservation customer A doesn't buy there are customers B-Z who didn't reserve waiting to pounce on it. Unfortunately you are going to buy at their terms and price if you really want it. Because if you don't pay it, someone else will.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncOBX

BroncOBX

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.polaris-intel.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 FX4; Mavic 2 Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

IMO.. Just get X plan and don't over think it. Nothing really to haggle about then.
Just got life membership with DAV for that reason. But...from what I am reading/seeing here in B6G not all dealerships will honor X-Plan. Am I missing something?

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just got life membership with DAV for that reason. But...from what I am reading/seeing here in B6G not all dealerships will honor X-Plan. Am I missing something?
I'm pretty sure X plan is up to Ford and what vehicles qualify. Technically a dealership is a privately owned business so they can do whatever they want. But. If Ford offers X plan for said Vehicle and that particular dealership denies it im going to guess they'll lose a lot of Business.

elmystico

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 1990 Toyota pickup, 2021 Audi Q8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm pretty sure X plan is up to Ford and what vehicles qualify. Technically a dealership is a privately owned business so they can do whatever they want. But. If Ford offers X plan for said Vehicle and that particular dealership denies it im going to guess they'll lose a lot of Business.
Right. Ford determines whether X-Plan is allowed for a given vehicle. Then, some dealers can opt out of allowing X-Plan, but I imagine Ford looks down on that and may somehow ding the dealer for it. Not sure though. I have also heard of a few dealers who voluntarily opted out of the entire Bronco reservation opportunity, meaning they have to wait until Ford delivers them non-reserved inventory for their lots.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like to think of it as a relationship and not a contest of who has the upper hand.

If we can remember that in reality the customer is not always right and not all dealers are out to scam you, we can build a long lasting relationship based on trust and mutual respect.

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not all dealers will honor it, but the vast majority do. X plan does have to be available on the vehicle for any dealer to offer it. Ford decides what vehicles don't qualify. Raptor is one that doesn't. According to Mike LaVeine, Bronco will have X plan available.

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The buyer.

We hold the reservation with the ability to direct it to a specific dealer.

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

X-plan does not protect pricing for dealer add-ons. That is one thing that I am worried about when it comes to this purchase. Also, in case people don’t know, you can get X-plan by joining Mustang Club of America. You just need to ensure that you have the membership for 60 days prior to ordering. I got this information from X-plan terms and conditions.

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anytime your buying something and you absolutely have to have it and can't walk away, the seller has got you. If you are willing to walk out, you have all the power.
Sponsored