Sponsored

Why can't I have an OEM Roof Rack with Bronco Badlands with the 2.7 L EcoBoost engine?

OP
OP

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Quite simply by the time you add 2.7 the vehicle just gets too heavy. Other posters are correct, this is 100% a gross vehicle weight/center of gravity issue. With the bash plates, steel bumpers, 35" spare tire, rock rails, 2.7 engine, etc. . . . adding payload weight to the roof can make the vehicle prone to rollovers. All should be aware of this before adding a roof rack, it could potentially be very dangerous.
I get it now. Since I had been asking my sale rep at the dealership since December what the issue was with no response, I decided to ask the parts dept rep. He had to check with an expert and responded with the capacity issue. I plan to take my Bronco back to the dealership on Monday for a buy back. I am done with the Badlands 2.7. 😞
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Heck I’m way over what a badlands weighs by now mod bumper winch mount, winch, full bash plates(even the badlands only one for the stabilizer bar, 37” Tires, lockable pull out drawer(full), tailgate table, molle bags on table full of stuff, amp, sub, mesh top, by the math I’m probably overloaded with just myself in the Bronco lol. I’d have no issue with a roof rack addition if I had a hard top.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, I can understand the limits and center of gravity (even though I think it's exaggerated)..

But explain this one:
Playing around with build and price...

Outer Banks
2.3L
Auto
Sasquatch

I go to add the CARGO AREA PROTECTOR and:

Ford Bronco Why can't I have an OEM Roof Rack with Bronco Badlands with the 2.7 L EcoBoost engine? 1659580869465

If the rubber floor mat puts it over weight limits, it's really not going to be happy when I have 4 people in it :p
Pretty sure this one is a marketing only thing.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I get it now. Since I had been asking my sale rep at the dealership since December what the issue was with no response, I decided to ask the parts dept rep. He had to check with an expert and responded with the capacity issue. I plan to take my Bronco back to the dealership on Monday for a buy back. I am done with the Badlands 2.7. 😞
That seems a bit overkill buy the rack don’t throw 600lbs up there and enjoy your Bronco. Unless there are other issues. Or like my dealer offered me $6k over msrp for my used Bronco. I was tempted but then I drove it home called him right back and said not a chance.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Heck I’m way over what a badlands weighs by now mod bumper winch mount, winch, full bash plates(even the badlands only one for the stabilizer bar, 37” Tires, lockable pull out drawer(full), tailgate table, molle bags on table full of stuff, amp, sub, mesh top, by the math I’m probably overloaded with just myself in the Bronco lol. I’d have no issue with a roof rack addition if I had a hard top.
Yeah, I'll still be putting on my rails and yakima platform for certain trips (it makes a ton of wind/buffeting noise). Just being careful on turns, and leans which I already am.

Sponsored

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read how some Badlands owners added a roof rack specifically to pitch a rooftop tent. Not a heavy/boxy tent that you drive around with, but a lightweight/simple tent that can be carried inside the Bronco until arriving at camp. The tent can then be placed on rooftop when stationary for the evening. There is a tent made by C6 Outdoor that makes this possible.

OP
OP

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read how some Badlands owners added a roof rack specifically to pitch a rooftop tent. Not a heavy/boxy tent that you drive around with, but a lightweight/simple tent that can be carried inside the Bronco until arriving at camp. The tent can then be placed on rooftop when stationary for the evening. There is a tent made by C6 Outdoor that makes this possible.
Not an option with kayaks.

Gomezstx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would say its not so much a center of gravity issue but total weight issue with regards to parameters such as 1) spring rate that was selected 2) brakes performance. The engineers will have modeling cases that they need to run such as vehicle fully loaded in the interior with max allowed weight. The short version (do what you want after market). Load up the vehicle (get heavier springs). Its a lego have fun

UrsulaEdwards

Base
First Name
Ursula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco™ Outer Banks™
Your Bronco Model
Base
you did say "could" and not "will", and we all know better than to assume there is a risk in everything we do. As a hobbyist, I also don't think it's a rational assumption to say that your vehicle is using "heavy duty components" compared to a 4x4. Have you measured the weight of your spare tire and wheel? Compared to most 4x4's? Your vehicle is a toy, a hobby, and at the end of the day, that's all it can be - or you are going to end up in a bad situation. Take it from me, I've had a rollover, and it can be an extremely intense event. The fact is the 2.7 is a large motor and it's going to push the limits of a toy, so if you're going to go big, go big with a proper 4x4 that has a roll cage and is purpose-built, because it will be safer than a toy and give you more capability. To get a true 4x4, your first step is going to have to be finding a solid, fully boxed frame. From there, it's all a matter of adhering to the disciplines, and your new 4x4 will be a much safer vehicle than your 2.7, and you'll be able to carry more weight. Just my two cents. Glad you're driving and enjoying,

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm adding a roof rack to my 2.7 Badlands Sasquatch to carry kayaks. I really hope you're joking on the dealer buyback thing because that's just lol. We couldn't even get rear trunk liner added to our order. Do you think adding one makes it dangerous?

Put a rack on your Bronco, it's fine.

Sponsored
OP
OP

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm adding a roof rack to my 2.7 Badlands Sasquatch to carry kayaks. I really hope you're joking on the dealer buyback thing because that's just lol. We couldn't even get rear trunk liner added to our order. Do you think adding one makes it dangerous?

Put a rack on your Bronco, it's fine.
The issue is, if there is ever a rollover or other event that results in property damage, injury or loss of life, the owner would be liable. Ford failed to inform dealerships so they could inform buyers, and that just sucks. And yes, I plan to be at the dealership today to have a discussion about my options. Either I take the cash now, or wait to trade it in for my Lightning when it arrives next year. I am pretty sure I can haul my kayaks, ebike, and anything else I like.

Last edited:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you did say "could" and not "will", and we all know better than to assume there is a risk in everything we do. As a hobbyist, I also don't think it's a rational assumption to say that your vehicle is using "heavy duty components" compared to a 4x4. Have you measured the weight of your spare tire and wheel? Compared to most 4x4's? Your vehicle is a toy, a hobby, and at the end of the day, that's all it can be - or you are going to end up in a bad situation. Take it from me, I've had a rollover, and it can be an extremely intense event. The fact is the 2.7 is a large motor and it's going to push the limits of a toy, so if you're going to go big, go big with a proper 4x4 that has a roll cage and is purpose-built, because it will be safer than a toy and give you more capability. To get a true 4x4, your first step is going to have to be finding a solid, fully boxed frame. From there, it's all a matter of adhering to the disciplines, and your new 4x4 will be a much safer vehicle than your 2.7, and you'll be able to carry more weight. Just my two cents. Glad you're driving and enjoying,
Technology and engineering my friend. A 4x4 today, doesn't' need to be made the way it was in 1998 and you should be thankful for that. Those vehicles were much more deadly. I still wheel in a 99 Disco; a modern vehicle is much safer.

Anyway, the fix for the weight issue is to upgrade your suspension and springs. Also should upgrade the brakes. A wider track won't hurt either.

With a good set up with quality components, the risk of rollover should be limited. Of course, the cost of all that I've proposed is at around $7K-$10K, but think of it as modding your own HOSS 3.0 or 4.0!

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my opinion, if you want to add a roof rack, you should be able to add it. When you roll your vehicle @ 80 MPH because you loaded 200 lbs on top, the manufacturer should have no liability, assuming you were warned properly.

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that ordering a Ford roof rack as an accessory requires a VIN.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
For kayaks and paddle boards an option I am strongly considering is a $500 foldable trailer. I concepted adding some wood cross bars to hold either kayaks or paddle boards. The apparatus would bolt/unbolt quickly for easy storage. And the trailer folds nicely to store in a corner somewhere taking a 2 X 5' and 7' tall foot print. And it can be used for other purposes too. I have very minimal space in my tiny garage. My Sas is so damn tall I only have 2" clearance from the top of my garage door so the factory roof rack probably will not clear. The factory rack from what I could see is also like $750, very expensive, then you need cross bars and holder on top of that. Going to be $1500 investment.

I really need a pick up truck but love the Bronco so much I am considering all and any options to carry things I could load in a pick up. :)
Sponsored