Sponsored

Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in?

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Reliability.
Are we sure about that? Maybe you should hop on over to the mustang6g forums... I’m not saying the coyote is unreliable but it’s definitely not any more reliable than the ecoboosts.
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree on the coyote (I haven't driven a 2.7). It's a bit of a dog a low rpms but it screams up top. Not the greatest for low rpm off road driving
I agree, down low grunt is what you need on the trail, unless your prerunning / dessert bombing. They could cam the 5.0, but it would suffer more in real world daily driving. I would feel more comfortable longevity wise with a n/a motor, but with twin turbos it should be a really good fit with power / torque throughout the rpm range as well as being a lighter motor.

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As a Coyote owner, I honestly think the 2.7 is a better fit (pun intended?) for the Bronco application. The 5.0 has a very linear power curve, it is not a massive torque hit off the line like the Chevy 6.2 is, it needs to be revved to maximize the power application. Great in a Mustang, not so much in a Bronco, just my opinion.
Exactly the coyote just isn’t a fit for the bronco. Now if they revised the cam and torque curve maybe so

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree, down low grunt is what you need on the trail, unless your prerunning / dessert bombing. They could cam the 5.0, but it would suffer more in real world daily driving. I would feel more comfortable longevity wise with a n/a motor, but with twin turbos it should be a really good fit with power / torque throughout the rpm range as well as being a lighter motor.
I have zero qualms about turbos. The most reliable engine Ford ever used (7.3) was a turbo, and the 7.3 uses the same block material as the 6.7 that pushes out 1000 ft lbs. I’m sure it will be just fine.

Sponsored

Bogeybekk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With all the V-8 talk going on lately, it made me curious about the specs on my AMC 304 I had in my CJ-5 back in the day. I always felt like it had plenty of power/torque but check out the numbers:
Ford Bronco Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in? A5F103F7-0260-40E5-B55A-2C73BB463312

The 2.7 has plenty of power for my F-150, so I think it’ll be fine in the Bronco.

sleepy floyd

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the only reason people are clamoring for the V8 is the sound. We've got a 2017 Explorer with the 3.5 Ecoboost, it feels like a sports car (straight line) when you put it in Sport Mode. I wanna say 355 hp. I'm totally fine with the V6 turbos. Then again, I've got my '74 that sounds beefy but I believe came from the factory with approximately 150hp and I still have my smog equipment installed lol.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have zero qualms about turbos. The most reliable engine Ford ever used (7.3) was a turbo, and the 7.3 uses the same block material as the 6.7 that pushes out 1000 ft lbs. I’m sure it will be just fine.
I think my view comes from one of being not as familiar with turbos as this will be my first turbo'd vehicle even though I have worked on a couple. I can appreciate the power turbos can add but I guess it's just a comfort zone thing to favor the n/a motor for me. I appreciate yours and others sharing their impressions & experiences with Ford turbo engines. The more I read the less apprehensive I am about them.

sleepy floyd

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With all the V-8 talk going on lately, it made me curious about the specs on my AMC 304 I had in my CJ-5 back in the day. I always felt like it had plenty of power/torque but check out the numbers:
Ford Bronco Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in? A5F103F7-0260-40E5-B55A-2C73BB463312

The 2.7 has plenty of power for my F-150, so I think it’ll be fine in the Bronco.
too funny, just posted basically the same.

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve got 188hp, 250 lb ft of torque and a 4 speed in my D2 that weighs about 5,000 lbs. spinning 32’s with 3.54 gears. I’m gonna be real happy in the Bronco. :LOL:

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... The 5.0 has a very linear power curve, it is not a massive torque hit off the line ...
That's precisely why it's good off road. Predictable linear power, instead of snap your joints and axles surge of torque a couple seconds after touching the throttle.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This....the Coyote likes to live up top in the revs. I did 148mph at VIR in top of 5th gear in my 2015 Mustang GT and it was just starting to get happy. 460hp, high revs and Dana 44 axles dont mix with 35's or 37's.
Which is why we're talking about putting a 5L V8 in the Bronco and not a 2L V8. Even at lower rpm the Coyote will be putting out adequate hp and torque, especially if it's through the 7sp manual.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Which is why we're talking about putting a 5L V8 in the Bronco and not a 2L V8. Even at lower rpm the Coyote will be putting out adequate hp and torque, especially if it's through the 7sp manual.
7 speed manual coyote bronco - keep the dream alive lol

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

put in a high revving v8 and you got a street truck. i very highly doubt the 392 jeep buyers will take it off road. same goes with the SVR Range Rovers, SRT Jeeps, and Porsche Cayenne Turbo owners and all these high powered SUVs. Want a V8 or high horse power Bronco, get ready for a street truck.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Best. Motor. Ever. I have an 01 F250 Platinum parked in the driveway that I don't drive nearly enough.
But to keep it on topic, Ford has been trending away from V8's for the past decade and am sure would view it as moving backwards if they were to shoe-horn one into their newest, state-of-the-art off roader.
Sponsored