Sponsored

Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You've never launched a vehicle before?
Just wanted you to admit it! There is enough to do in hard core crawling to not also need to have to worry about building boost, before I do anything, over and over and over and over.
Sponsored

20Bronco21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’22 Badlands, ‘23 Balands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We can only hope that Ford has a secret 5+ liter version of Goliath under development. That would be the V8 to drop in the Bronco. You do not have the fitment problems that the very wide Coyote has across the heads and it would be a stump puller at low RPM.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
V8s are the same way.
I'm done with logic on this topic. Suggest the mods add an LS swap forum topic now.
I still love the intense Ford/Chevy rivalry, but it's coming, because many are going to do it if
the 7.3 isn't supported well. It's really the only way to get decent power/low end, un-delayed torque, in all weather conditions, consistently on 87 reg fuel, without the issues that FI brings, in hard core situations.

ragingclue

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LWN ZR2, NA8, Bricks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just wanted you to admit it! There is enough to do in hard core crawling to not also need to have to worry about building boost, before I do anything, over and over and over and over.
Umm that’s also how I launched my Coyote and LS3... both NA.... in fact, the SS had launch control and guess how that worked?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Umm that’s also how I launched my Coyote and LS3... both NA.... in fact, the SS had launch control and guess how that worked?
Not required on coyote. Many, including myself get/got best 60's from just a rollout off idle(stock auto, except 295 summer tires). Point was you HAVE to do it with ECO's.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Suppose you were a automobile-hating asshole, and suppose you were an automobile manufacturing exec; but I repeat myself.

-Mark Twain (probably)
That's the problem, companies aren't run by car fanatics anymore

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's the problem, companies aren't run by car fanatics anymore
And sometimes not even enthusiasts. They did a fine job on this bronco though with a lot of features (especially the overall combination of them) that no one else has........

ragingclue

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LWN ZR2, NA8, Bricks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not required on coyote. Many, including myself get/got best 60's from just a rollout off idle(stock auto, except 295 summer tires). Point was you HAVE to do it with ECO's.
It should be noted my experience was with Gen1 only... So it may have gotten better since then. In fact it seems from the accounts of others it is better. I do know that torque management had to be turned off to make it livable to start with in mine, and leaving off idle was definitively slower than giving it a modest amount of revs. Mine was a stick though (which is also what I'm looking at for the Bronco). The SS was better off idle than it was using the LC (LC also seemed to come with uncomfortable smoky/burny smells from places besides the tires) but then again that's what those types of V8s do better (on top of that, they're simpler and smaller footprint than a Coyote, which is all why I prefer them in an application like this). Also leaving the line off idle with the N54 was good, but I think that's a different beast entirely from the 2.3 so maybe isn't fair. But maybe comparison with the 2.7 is fair, I dunno.

I understand your concerns about lag. But the Ranger guys seem to be doing ok with the 2.3/10 so that's a good sign. And unfortunately, even in the most analog configurations we get these days, we're dealing with everything done by wire, with layers of "you think you do, but you don't" in between you and the actions of the vehicle itself. Sometimes it's really frustrating (hey Chevy thanks for the 10 second lag on throttle tip-in on the LWN, you want to talk about non-analog feeling...., torque management in plenty of vehicles, etc...), sometimes it's helpful (like helping you not crash and die or these special modes that work better in certain conditions). I'm eager to see how this all plays out with its implementation with the Bronco.

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And sometimes not even enthusiasts. They did a fine job on this bronco though with a lot of features (especially the overall combination of them) that no one else has........
I'd love one without any Saaaaaafety features and ala carte as fuck

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It should be noted my experience was with Gen1 only... So it may have gotten better since then. In fact it seems from the accounts of others it is better. I do know that torque management had to be turned off to make it livable to start with in mine, and leaving off idle was definitively slower than giving it a modest amount of revs. Mine was a stick though (which is also what I'm looking at for the Bronco). The SS was better off idle than it was using the LC (LC also seemed to come with uncomfortable smoky/burny smells from places besides the tires) but then again that's what those types of V8s do better (on top of that, they're simpler and smaller footprint than a Coyote, which is all why I prefer them in an application like this). Also leaving the line off idle with the N54 was good, but I think that's a different beast entirely from the 2.3 so maybe isn't fair. But maybe comparison with the 2.7 is fair, I dunno.

I understand your concerns about lag. But the Ranger guys seem to be doing ok with the 2.3/10 so that's a good sign. And unfortunately, even in the most analog configurations we get these days, we're dealing with everything done by wire, with layers of "you think you do, but you don't" in between you and the actions of the vehicle itself. Sometimes it's really frustrating (hey Chevy thanks for the 10 second lag on throttle tip-in on the LWN, you want to talk about non-analog feeling...., torque management in plenty of vehicles, etc...), sometimes it's helpful (like helping you not crash and die or these special modes that work better in certain conditions). I'm eager to see how this all plays out with its implementation with the Bronco.
Appreciate the response based on knowledge and experiences, instead of "only guys who want to show off need V-8's".

Stick with a coyote is a whole different animal. Of course you can launch @ any RPM you want then (nannies aside). Point still stands that many can get their best 60's on a coyote auto by rolling into it, yet virtually no turbo's will.

Anyway, you bring up another good point. You can ditch the electronic throttle on a coyote and not hurt performance after tuning (just hamstring nannies). You can't do that on ECO's, as they do heavy, seemingly self de-feating at times, things with the throttle to build boost.

https://www.fuelairspark.com/engine-transplant-kit-w-o-throttle-body-ford-coyote.html

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CAFE regulations may have something to do with it. Even though they’ve been rolled back by the current administration, you can expect the next administration to push forward with higher standards.

Also, there is the CARB rules out of California. Those definitely impact decisions as well.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
CAFE regulations may have something to do with it. Even though they’ve been rolled back by the current administration, you can expect the next administration to push forward with higher standards.

Also, there is the CARB rules out of California. Those definitely impact decisions as well.
Since most Bronco's will be sold with smaller Liarboost engines that meet CAFE it would seem that there should be plenty of room for an option at a premium price for a V8.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

We've been over this, it's like $3-500 to pay for emission credits for even the big hemi's/hellcats. Not a show stopper, unless you are looking for one as a manufacturer.

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be way more concerned about the ten speed transmission performance than the 2.7 torque band. My 2020 F150 with the 2.7 EB has a low RPM torque availability that works great in the application which is similar to the way most would use the Bronco off road. The transmission...I am much less impressed with.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be way more concerned about the ten speed transmission performance than the 2.7 torque band. My 2020 F150 with the 2.7 EB has a low RPM torque availability that works great in the application which is similar to the way most would use the Bronco off road. The transmission...I am much less impressed with.
It's a lot like the turbo engines. The raw capacity is there, but the question remains regarding programing.
Sponsored