Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Amen!!!
I think the company needs to change the name.
Because it doesn’t “eliminate” it. it just makes it so you turn it on once, or turn it off once, and it remembers just like the Toyota Tacoma
You want to use it…
Turn on…
Forget about it forever…
You don’t want
It…
Turn off…. Forever until “you”
Turn it back on!
that is the point to this whole
Nanny-safety device topic!

To at least have a choice
To turn things on or off one time!

BTW… I got mine for 89$ Black Friday deal.
Score! I also like that it is "invisible"...Forscan is cool and all, but not sure how the Mother Ship would feel about having certain features turned off at that level. The AS Eliminator takes like less time to install than booting up the computer and going into Forscan.
Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Score! I also like that it is "invisible"...Forscan is cool and all, but not sure how the Mother Ship would feel about having certain features turned off at that level. The AS Eliminator takes like less time to install than booting up the computer and going into Forscan.
Ford includes in the manual how to permanently turn off the seat belt warnings, without the need to use forescan or any special tools.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford includes in the manual how to permanently turn off the seat belt warnings, without the need to use forescan or any special tools.
I wish they would also include instructions/the ability to turn off other things without using Forscan such as double honk and autostop...but the autostop is not intended to be turned off by the owner. The AS Eliminator leaves no trace and is plug and play...it doesn't get much easier than that. I get that for many folks it is a non-issue, but for those of us that are annoyed by it we should have the ability to toggle it on and off without having to do so every time we drive. If Ford would simply make the default setting be off, that would save the need for any tweaking...but I assume there's some kind of credit with some sort of perceived fuel economy improvement, so the default position is on. There is no way that an auto stop feature doesn't prematurely reduce the life of a battery or a starter or other components...especially for folks that have a lot of stop and go driving. There are always going to be camps that love it and camps that hate it and endless arguments about why auto stop is a good or a bad idea, but regardless if a manufacturer would just offer the option for the owners to decide what they want without forcing them to have it as a default, that would make things easier. Because most other manufacturers are also going with default auto stop these days, it clearly is something that even the manufacturers probably have little control over If they want to remain in whatever position they're in.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yup!!!!
Ok…
Moving on!!!

I think we beat this dead horse!!

I spent 89$ gladly to have a once only option…
….For My ‘reasons’ I hate it.
(Or Bothers me!) as the ops original question stated!

…..hmmm??? Now what else can I turn off, or change???

F—- Big Brother! … always Question everything!!!

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Because I don't like being told what to do by a bunch of hypocrites. People making laws for "climate change" yet flying in private jets leaving a much bigger carbon foot print than I ever will.

Sponsored

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I dislike it for one reason...when you need a quick pull-out. The turbo lag is bad enough, but the auto-stop part I hate. That being said, I've conditioned myself to turn it off as part of my protocol for starting the Bronco up, so no big deal.

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't mind it. I've had zero issues with it. Mine turns back on instantly as soon as I let off the break even a little bit.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, just want to hear peoples reasons on why it bothers them so much.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
I don't like the motor shutting off until I decide I want it off. I want to keep that choice.

BroncoFS

Black Diamond
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata (“So-not-a” Bronco)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For me, when the engine turns off at a stop it reminds me of my younger days when my older cars would stall at an intersection, putting me into a state of panic! Even though it starts right back up, for a brief moment I have flashbacks … PTSD I guess! 😆

Porque No

Raptor
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hummer, 2001 Viper, 2011 CTS-V, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don't mind it. I've had zero issues with it. Mine turns back on instantly as soon as I let off the break even a little bit.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, just want to hear peoples reasons on why it bothers them so much.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
I don’t like when it turns off when it is really hot out. AC doesn’t blow very cold when engine not running.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

More hot turbos and worn starter talk. Some people simply cannot learn.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You a funny guy. Really. Thanks for that. Needed a belly laugh

Those are actual things that exist...no matter how much some people don't want to acknowledge theor existence

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You a funny guy. Really. Thanks for that. Needed a belly laugh
No problem...happy to provide the laugh. I assume you are not a mechanic? As useful as the forums are for sharing information, unfortunately there are a lot of opinions out there with no accurate facts to back them up. Any time any mechanical device is used, wear happens...even though the demand on a starter is far less on an up to temp. engine is less than is on cold engine, there is a finite number of cycles. More starts=less longevity. Hopefully the laughs will continue when you are replacing yours down the road if you don't turn off your autostart.

Last edited:

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No problem...happy to provide the laugh. I assume you are not a mechanic?
Not anymore.
I’ve had my own motorcycle shop, went to school to be and was ASE certified in the late 90’s out of high school, I’ve been a small engine mechanic, outboard mechanic, was one of the first down here in FL in my area to get on with the diesel hot rodding garbage in the early 2000’s with a nitrous powered 7.3 F350 (that needed turbo cool down time) , been around motors of just about every kind, turbos, just getting ready to supercharge a 4.0 Ford Ranger. And in today’s day and age, starters and turbos are the least of your worries. Did you happen to miss the article a few pages back of how a modern starters can withstand 500,000 cycles? Do the math on that one. And unless you run your engine hard has hell or under a full load for a long period of time, under boost, and then shut it down immediately after, you will never ever have to worry about your turbo either. Next time you’re on the interstate, bring up your boost gauge in the dash and see where it’s at. If you drive the vehicle like any other, you hardly build any boost to even heat the turbo. Go do some research.

drvahe

Wildtrak
First Name
Vahe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It does bothering me especially when I am turning and yielding to a pedestrian, it's just not fair for car companies to not give you an option to turn it off permanently.
Sponsored