Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So it should last forever then when I disable auto-start
Yes, just as forever as if you leave it enabled. :)

What would I know about turbo vehicles he'd say... Know who didn't learn about hot oil? McDonald's and he'd tell the story about when he got scarred up by the deep fryer

I've been driving for 45 years that way... why would race car drivers do it if it wasn't safe. And he'd drive right into the ditch or over someone, that's why he has a truck like any man should

If my aunt had balls she'd by my uncle (he loves saying this)

You just been boomered
That...was...awesome! šŸ˜
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
wow very sore subject for a lot of people here.
I've noticed that the more irrational the position, the more defensive the person.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wife's Jeep Cherokee has this feature. I don't mind it. But I can say that I had to replace her battery after 3 years. And I normally get way more than 3 years life out of a battery.

Was it due to start/stop? Or just a cheap ass battery supplied by Jeep? Can't say. I'll let you know in 3 years . ;)

But I can say this - the Jeep calls for an AGM battery. I assume this is to support the constant cycling needed by start/stop. So when the time comes to replace the battery be prepared to spend about $150 more than you think a battery should cost because of this. So if start/stop actually does shorten lifespan of the battery - it's a double hit since it's shortening the lifespan of a really expensive battery.
I think batteries just aren't that great. Have had to replace the battery in my current, non auto-start-stop vehicle already, and it's starting to act like the battery is on its last legs. Went to pick up a new battery and the warranty is only 3 years now. I remember when they went from 4 to 5 to 6 (or more) year warranties. Not sure when they started reducing them, but if people want to argue about something, there's gotta be a story there somewhere. :)

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty much this, to save $40 in gas over the lifetime of the vehicle makes no sense.
Yep. The only reason they, all the mfgs., did this was because it was a cheap and easy way to meet the emission standards. I have read a number of articles where folks have had started and battery issues.

I think they shoud have to do this to a cell phone. When the car starts it shuts off. When the car is turned off it turns back on. I waste more gas sitting behind the morons that are playing with there phone at a light and don't drive on the green because they aren't paying attention.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hate it and disabled it day 2 because the car turning off and on for no reason what so ever. Youā€™re not saving gas or the ā€œenvironmentā€ so whatā€™s the point of it. I live in SWFL and itā€™s hot AF and the AC stays cold for approximately 20 seconds with the engine off. It canā€™t be good for the starter or battery. Oil pump stops working when engine is off. Pretty sure the turbo is water cooled on the bronco but at any rate none of what was mentioned can be good for the vehicle. Will your vehicle make it thru the warranty period without a problem, more than likely but after that these fixes outside the starter and battery arenā€™t cheap

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™ve work on cars for a living as a senior master Ford technician for the last 15 years. I can say without a doubt that we donā€™t replace more batteries or starters now than any time in the past. Saying auto start stop effects either one on a maintenance level is just ignorance in my opinion.

I donā€™t like auto start stop as much as some others, but it has nothing to do with the assumption or fear that itā€™ll cause my starter or battery to fail right after warranty runs out. All of this has been taken into account by engineers when they designed the system. Which is why batteries in auto start stop equipped vehicles are much larger than those without it.
According to Wikipedia, Ford started the implementation of the A.S.S. in 2012 for the USA. You can see how limited your sample is in your assumption, one brand, a few dealerships, 10 years. We established that the system is designed to surpass the warranty period. How many owners you assume go to the dealer to replace a battery that's not under warranty?

Again, I don't know about starter manufacturers and their forecasts, just working with worldwide a battery component manufacturer.

smiths65

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 RAM1500 BigHorn
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a fan of the A.S.S. Always disable it when I start my 2.3L MAN Badlands.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

According to Wikipedia, Ford started the implementation of the A.S.S. in 2012 for the USA. You can see how limited your sample is in your assumption, one brand, a few dealerships, 10 years. We established that the system is designed to surpass the warranty period. How many owners you assume go to the dealer to replace a battery that's not under warranty?

Again, I don't know about starter manufacturers and their forecasts, just working with worldwide a battery component manufacturer.
Lol limited assumption?

First of all, itā€™s not an assumption. Itā€™s first hand experience. Iā€™ve literally been working on them since the technology has been designed, Iā€™m really not sure how you consider that limited anyway?
Also Iā€™m not sure what one brand or number of dealerships has to do with anything considering the vehicle we are discussing is made by the same brand that Iā€™ve worked on for the past 15 years.

I actually see what fails on a daily basis. You only have a ā€œlimitedā€ experience working for a company that sells components. Your ā€œassumptionā€ that selling more components has a direct correlation to auto start stop equipped vehicles needing batteries is baseless.

Letā€™s put it this way, Iā€™ve seen thousands of auto start stop equipped vehicles with well over 100k miles, and Iā€™d be willing to bet that very few have ever had an issue with an early battery failure and probably less than 1% of those have ever had a starter replaced.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I donā€™t know guys. Weā€™re arguing about auto start/stop when clearly the argument should be about why theyā€™re using this new tri-coat paint. I mean, what was wrong with lead paint, am I right? And donā€™t even get me started on unleaded gas. And rear seat belts!!

Sponsored

ried

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think Ford intentionally uses the auto start/stop as an annoyance, so that you're forced to buy the Ford Performance Calibration that disables it.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was weary of the Ford auto stop at first. I work at another automaker dealer, and our auto stop is sluggish. It sucks. But after driving my 7MT Bronco, I dont mind it one bit. It fires right up when clutch is pressed, and I can start rolling at a green light. It's not a bother to me, however, it does like to engage auto stop whenever it can, even like doing a quick California roll right turn on red.

All in all, it's seamless in the manual.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not so sure about point #3, but he is right or at least partially correct on points #1, 2, and 4.

A starter, like a clutch, is a wear item. Only has so many spins until the thing wears out.

Turbos DO NOT like on/off without cooldown. Keep that oil clean and circulating and it will last a lot longer. Again, a wear item (in this case, TWO wear items) that you want to protect.

Big amperage hits are not good for the battery, and just getting the starter to begin turning is a big amperage hit. Now multiply that times how many times the auto on/off kicks in during city driving...you will be replacing the battery more often.

The auto on/off 'feature' is simply to try and meet the ever-increasing EPA and CARB regulations on fuel efficiency. It does NOT take into account the wear and tear on the other parts as mentioned above, ESPECIALLY the turbos.

Go ahead and price new turbos and the labor costs for R&R and see if you come out ahead of whatever 'fuel savings' the auto on/off gives you.
Our Bronco have AGM batteries in them.... check out the difference..... Differences Between an AGM and a Regular Car Battery (reliable-auto.com)

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol limited assumption?

First of all, itā€™s not an assumption. Itā€™s first hand experience. Iā€™ve literally been working on them since the technology has been designed, Iā€™m really not sure how you consider that limited anyway?
Also Iā€™m not sure what one brand or number of dealerships has to do with anything considering the vehicle we are discussing is made by the same brand that Iā€™ve worked on for the past 15 years.

I actually see what fails on a daily basis. You only have a ā€œlimitedā€ experience working for a company that sells components. Your ā€œassumptionā€ that selling more components has a direct correlation to auto start stop equipped vehicles needing batteries is baseless.

Letā€™s put it this way, Iā€™ve seen thousands of auto start stop equipped vehicles with well over 100k miles, and Iā€™d be willing to bet that very few have ever had an issue with an early battery failure and probably less than 1% of those have ever had a starter replaced.
How many people turn it off witch would have an effect on the numbers you report.
Sponsored