Sponsored

Why does the auto start stop feature bother so many people?

TangoHunter

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2016 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because Ford is trying to maximize profit by putting it on higher end models. I'm guessing the licencing for it has gone up, since it used to be found on almost all trims till recently.
Yes unfortunately I’m aware of the money making scheme, would love to have it as a stand alone add on then instead.
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes unfortunately I’m aware of the money making scheme, would love to have it as a stand alone add on then instead.
But I've seen it (say for the F-150) that a new visor with it is like $300+ bucks, which isn't worth it.

TangoHunter

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It doesn't bother me at all - All my BMWs had this feature (even the M cars). and NOT one starter broke on me or shut down, ever. This is engineered into it.
How many miles were on your test samples before selling them? Just curious.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How many miles were on your test samples before selling them? Just curious.

90k+ on my wifes 2017 Escape and still going strong. Just got a new battery after 5 years.

Sponsored

ScottyC

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Auto start/stop on the girlfriends 2018 Escape, still no issues and original battery. I now have it on my 2022 BD and it is no issue to me.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It only bothers me because it sounds so harsh/cheap when it restarts. Maybe if I had the optional hood sound deadening it wouldn't so so bad? 🤷

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Engine wear is the highest on startup. When the engine is shut down oil pressure goes to zero and when you start it back up it takes a second for oil pressure to build back up. Repeated starts and stops increases engine wear. End of story. The only reason they install start stop is so they can claim .25 mpg better to fit in with govt regulations. They know the engine only has to last 36,000 miles. To claim the start stop system is somehow engineered not to cause damage is idiotic. The system shuts the engine off when you stop, no such engineering exists.
I actually worked on this problem for a diesel competition pull truck some 30 years ago.
i used a hydraulic accumulator that stored engine oil at 60psi and would inject it into the turbo bearings, at shut off, to lubricate them so they wouldn’t spin dry.
Turbo bearings have gotten better in 30 years but the concept is still the same. A shaft spinning at 280,000 rpm needs lubrication.
You don’t get lubrication until the oil pump reaches pressure on start up but the turbo isn‘t at high speed so not a big deal. The most wear comes at shut down when he turbo is spinning and there is 0 oil pressure for lubrication.
As for the starter, the less it’s used the longer it lasts.

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Me saving $40 only affects me. Remember the wear and tear of the auto start stop system is in each of those millions of cars on the road, so the cumulative effect of savings is negated by the cumulative effect in cost of repairs.
If you extrapolate one part of the equation, you have to extrapolate all.
Except nobody is providing any evidence of excessive wear and tear, just a lot of conjecture, and manufactures are engineering parts to compensate.

You using less fuel doesn't only affect you... if it benefits your wallet by a messily $40 so be it. Most environmental initiatives cost us money.

Sponsored

TangoHunter

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think in the end, no matter what side you fall on, Ford could have pleased both parties by at least allowing the vehicle to memorize if it was enabled or disabled when restarting the vehicle.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think in the end, no matter what side you fall on, Ford could have pleased both parties by at least allowing the vehicle to memorize if it was enabled or disabled when restarting the vehicle.
Ding ding ding.
winner winner chicken dinner

finally.

Girard215

Outer Banks
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500. Dodge Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Has anyone actually discovered how much of a fuel saving there is?

JZZ

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Didn’t think I would like it or use it, my bronco 2 dr is a daily driver so saving gas isn’t as big as extending range on a tank for me and it doesn’t take much math to see a 10% bump for both. As far as starters go in the last 20 years I had 3 vehicles and all had well over 150000 miles when I sold them and they still had original starters so I keeping it on

CriticalB

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had fully planned to disable it day 1, but I actually found that when the engine cuts on a quiet street with the windows down, it’s a great moment of zen.

That said, everything falls apart, so the day it starts acting up Bronco and Forscan are gonna have a little chat.
Sponsored