Sponsored

Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels?

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Big bend wheels themselves weren't too bad, they look pretty good with some dirt and mud on them. The OEM duelers left a lot to be desired, with how they looked. They got the job done in light offroad and they got really good highway MPG. Adding a nicer set of tires makes the BB wheels look way better.
Agreed! This is the route I went - Kept the BB rims and upgraded to Falken Wildpeak 285/70/17s. Looks so much better!
Sponsored

KKCSHIPP

Base
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For anyone who wants an extra set, I can sell you all five for a negotiated price. :)

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'll sell my Badlands wheels to anyone once 1552 or someone like them comes out with high polished slot styles like the Patrol. If interested message me, don't know when it will happen though!

NoloBronco

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn‘t want my bronco lifted as it’s an everyday driver and I needed max gas mileage… so I actually like the look of the tires it came with. That being said I see tons of posts of people wanting to sell the oem and not being able to get much for them because none of you want them.

Questions - why don’t people like them?

When I need new tires I should probably look to buy some from all of you that want to ditch them rather than pay $1,200 at a tire store, correct?

Thank you for input.
SAS tires = rock slingers

Within the first month of ownership I had paint missing from my rocker panels. Replace the tires but I do not mind the wheels.

snowcatxx87

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / 701SM / Tiger 900RP / Grom / Surron
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Non SAS looks like a corgi 😂

Oem for winter tires (35” nokian) and then summer has the custom powder coated wheels 😎

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just passed 30K miles on 35" OEM Goodyear Territories (a.k.a. Wranglers) on 4DR Badlands Sasquatch.
They're very good, but not great, tires, in that they are a very good compromise of desirable qualities for a serious on- and off-road medium-heavy truck. Every tire is a result of compromises. Better mileage may make it less capable in snow and rain. Better snow and rain capabilities may make it more noisy. Increased off-road capabilities compromise mileage. Overall, I think the OEM Territories are a pretty good balancing act, for the price, weight, and the general public's needs.

My BD/Sas is my daily drive (Northeast city + highway), but I enjoy fairly aggressive off-road treks (NH, VT, WV, UT, NV). I had serious problems with punctures at first: they're notorious as "rock-chuckers," in that they pick up stones, and fling them. So ColoradoSkiDreaming (O.P.), be sure to invest in decent mudflaps if you're driving unpaved, especially at Baja speeds. They'll grab stones and fling them. A full-length step adds more protection, besides convenience getting in and out. I recommend RokBlokz flaps for serious off-roading, and the iAG step which you remove when rock crawling.

Now, regarding the punctures. I had three on well maintained dirt/clay/gravel BLM roads in Utah (e.g. Pony Express Historic Byway). I was driving a comfortable 45-65 mph on those roads, and found that the Goodyear Territories rode well, but grabbed and held stones, which then worked their way up through the ply and punctured the tires. This problem seems to self-eliminate at about 10,000 miles; one poster elsewhere said 5,000. Consider that if you buy used.

But speaking of problems, the sidewalls are thin, and I have lost a tire to a sidewall tear. In spite of all that (now that I'm poorer and wiser) I do recommend them for off-roading and medium-to-aggressive rockcrawling. They're pretty good in mud. And if you can pick up your spares on the cheap from other disaffected Bronco owners, so much the better.

I've bought KO2s at a big discount. They're in my basement for when I wear the rubber down on the Goodyears.

Keep on wheeling!
Interesting post you’ve written here. Sorry to hear of your punctures, but these are a “C” rated tire, but one major point is missing from your post. When you were on the BLM roads, were you aired down?

Airing these Goodyear Wranglers down to like 20psi generally eliminates most puncture worries unless just bombing away at Baja speeds. I’m an Eastern US wheeler also, the Deep South and New England have similar terrain; I love Vermont and Maine! So, lots of sharp rocks and tree roots are all over the trails, but airing down has saved me a ton. I do have an ARB Twin installed under the hood.

To the OPs question, These Goodyears are balanced as others have said, but I won’t buy again, my next tires when these wear out will be Nitto Ridge Grapplers, likely “E” rated which means they’ll be heavier, but also stronger sidewalls, but maybe a tad louder too.

I do like the stock wheels that are beadlock capable. Think most guys just like to express some style in their wheels which is totally cool, just not where I can spend my budget. I focus my $$ on capability and don’t really care about looks as much as the Bronco on SAS is handsome enough for me.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Some people like vanilla. Some people like rocky road. Some people like big wheels.

There isn’t anything terrible about stock. Just preferences

There is absolutely nothing wrong with picking up takeoffs so long as you are careful not to let yourself get scammed (in the usual “buying stuff online” ways, not that there is anything wrong with takeoffs)
Are you saying that Nigerian Facecrook marketplace deal might be a scam? :unsure:

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you were on the BLM roads, were you aired down?
No--so it was a learning experience. I had a hardware store grade compressor, and gave up on that after long and heated exasperating experiences. I now have an installed ThorsLightning compressor system, which works fast and well, and air down as needed. The sidewall rip was a bit of a fluke; I'll be carrying a GlueTread repair kit on my backcountry excursions in 2024.

But wearing down the rubber some does reduce the problem.

Airing these Goodyear Wranglers down to like 20psi generally eliminates most puncture worries unless just bombing away at Baja speeds. I’m an Eastern US wheeler also, the Deep South and New England have similar terrain; I love Vermont and Maine! So, lots of sharp rocks and tree roots are all over the trails, but airing down has saved me a ton. I do have an ARB Twin installed under the hood.

Be sure to message me if you find yourself coming to New England, with (especially) or without your Bronco. We can at least do lunch, maybe more. Northern New England trails which would astound our western buddies.

Think most guys just like to express some style in their wheels which is totally cool, just not where I can spend my budget. I focus my $$ on capability and don’t really care about looks as much as the Bronco on SAS is handsome enough for me.

Interesting how many posts on this thread focus on looks. Well, okay then. I think wheels and tires are to some guys what shoes are to women, something of a gender obsession. I've driven for a living all my life, including semis. A good-looking rig is great, but only if performance needs have been satisfied: for the Bronco, it's off-road capability. Agree 1000% that the Bronco Sas looks great, as is.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Non SAS looks like a corgi 😂

Oem for winter tires (35” nokian) and then summer has the custom powder coated wheels 😎
Standing up for all corgi’s and non-sas family! Full Send!
Ford Bronco Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels? 1706387042339
Ford Bronco Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels? 1706387098244

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands, but got rid of those tires and wheels for $1100 and bought the Sasquatch tires and wheels for $1500. To me, I wasn't going much higher than 35's anyway (insert person that say they aren't real 35's, I know, they are 34.4"'s) and they were brand new. I painted the beauty rings to be black so they appears like a more rare Wildtrak rim and I saved tons of money, like a new set of wheels and tires would have been at least $3000+. I have customerized in several others ways too, but mostly functional things people can't see.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I love the stock SAS wheels. I don't care if it is the Wildtrak ring or the other. Ford nailed it @Ford Motor Company.

I didn‘t want my bronco lifted as it’s an everyday driver and I needed max gas mileage… so I actually like the look of the tires it came with. That being said I see tons of posts of people wanting to sell the oem and not being able to get much for them because none of you want them.

When I need new tires I should probably look to buy some from all of you that want to ditch them rather than pay $1,200 at a tire store, correct?

Thank you for input.

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Thank you for input.
looks, looks ,looks. yes you would be wise to buy OEM tires for cheap.

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well everyone says the tires aren't that great offroad. Good news is I'm pretty new to offroad so to me they seem to be working really well. Cool to know there are even better options but, since I don't know what I'm missing I've been really happy.
Sponsored