Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Always buy the best engine.

On a Mustang, or any sports car, I’d agree. I’d get the V8 auto over a V6 stick in that type of car. Because the fun factor of a car like that is all dependent on pure speed on the street. But the fun factor in a Bronco comes from Off road ability and doesn’t need the speed or power to be fun. So while you’re motoring down the highway at a leisurely pace on 35s in a Bronco, you might as well be having the fun of rowing gears. Now if you wanted to do a lot of high speed off road running like Baja, that would be a different story, and I’d go for the big engine with auto. Otherwise, stick all the way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I had a 79 4x4 Ford E250 with a 460 in it that had maybe 240hp and 380 lb ft of torque. It could pass cars on the highway, go 100 mph while weighing over 8000 lbs empty. I towed up to 12,000 lbs with it no worries.
Hey @MaverickMan, stop talking dirty to us! Stay on topic.

I'd still take that 460 getting 5 miles to the gallon any day over these new engines... just how I am. ?

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh shoot thats funny and so true ?a manual tranny will always outlast a slushbox and when the world ends you will be glad you chose to shift it yourself?
Or more realistically you twist your ankle and suddenly that mansquatch isn't so great for a while lol.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Bronco weighs a little more sure, but I have been driving a JKUR manual with 4.10 gears and 34" tires for 12 years. It has 202 HP and 237 lb-ft torque. It's not exciting, but it is fine and can go anywhere. It also pulls a 4500 boat plus trailer up the ramp just fine, and about a gear to two lower on the highway. Would I like to do a hemi or LS swap, yes, and but it is not an issue.

I have friends with the 3.6 pentastar with 3.73 rear, 35's and 285 hp / 260 lb-ft, and they are just fine too, even though they should re-gear.

The 2.3 Bronco with a 4.7 and 310 hp and 350 lb-ft torque should be much better. Not to mention the turbo will help at altitude when you hit the mountains, and that crawler gear on a step boat ramp (instead of dropping into 4L).

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pineapple pizza aficionados,

I had originally planned on getting a 4dr 2.7 10 speed auto with the sqatch package.

With today's developments, I'm seriously considering "downgrading" to the 2.3 with the manual, but I'm worried it'll be underpowered? Thoughts?
2.3 will have 50-60 more HP than 90s v8 Broncos and about the same amount of torque. With a manual and 4.7 gears it should in no way feel underpowered. Cant wait for the on and off-road testing.

I would prefer the extra power of the 2.7 but the engagement of rowing my own gears will be way more fun than an auto with more power so I’m most likely going Mansquatch. I Also plan to do similar power mods as the Mustang Ecoboost guys do so another 75-100 whp and wtq is attainable.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Or more realistically you twist your ankle and suddenly that mansquatch isn't so great for a while lol.
As someone that only drives manuals and has frequent ankle injuries (from tennis), this is not a concern. You strap that swollen ankle into a hard brace and work the clutch like a bawss. If anything, moving your left foot improves circulation and reduces pain.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Pineapple pizza aficionados,

I had originally planned on getting a 4dr 2.7 10 speed auto with the sqatch package.

With today's developments, I'm seriously considering "downgrading" to the 2.3 with the manual, but I'm worried it'll be underpowered? Thoughts?
Ford Bronco Will a 4dr mansqatch be underpowered? 1600779626510

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nobody can know for sure yet because a production model hasn’t been produced yet.
But, my opinion is to go ahead and upgrade to the 2.7. You might regret getting the smaller engine. Buy once, cry once, no regrets. ?

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Pretty sure I may just opt for the 2.3 with Ford Performance Pack and save the money for other options. I would hands down get the 2.7 if I was able to tow 5k. 3500 if thats the final rating is cake with the 2.3 even without a bump.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
the torque and the gearing will make it plenty sufficient

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't be convinced that a 4 cylinder is enough for this truck. Especially when you put 4 doors and 35s on it. That is a heavy vehicle.

Even if it is barely enough, it goes against the entire image of the Bronco. To each their own, but mine just can't have a 4-cylinder.

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been wondering about which engine also. I will be getting the Sasquatch package on the four-dour Badlands and also will be pulling a 2,500(ish) lbs off-road trailer. My 2008 Rubicon had serious issues towing it uphill on the freeways. People behind me hated me. ?

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Again with the "Is the 2.3L underpowered" discussion? Ugh. Nobody can tell you how much is enough. That's up to you.
Sponsored