Sponsored

Will Ford Delete the Base 2.3L engine option?

sjudas

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The 2.3L I-4 is a total BEAST ! ! !
- not "base"

The 2.3L is a GREAT engine for Bronco
Personally I would not buy a Bronco w 2.7L
Do you have a problem with more torque, more horsepower, all wrapped in twin turbos?

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 seemed fine to me for just basic daily driving especially if its highway driving. My 2.7 gives me all the torques when I want it though. One thing I will say about 2.3 and a lot of people might not like it but the 2.3/manual combo is trash. I've driven tractors with better shifters.

Can't say I agree. I think the manual 2.3 is a great combo. 'Course I don't drive tractors, so I can't make that comparison.

ChaseG

Outer Banks
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow an extraordinary amount of people here care about what engine other people opted for. 2.3l is plenty for some people. For me it was never going to compete with my previous sports car but that's not what I bought it for.

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don’t seem logical to get rid of the cheaper engine on the the lowest trim. Just from a competitive stand point it doesn’t make sense. Don’t over think it.

Sponsored

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The F-150 already had the 2.7L. All they did was cut out the weakest link that was trying to motivate that fat pig.
  • 3.3-Liter Ti-VCT V-6: 290 hp, 265 lb-ft
  • 2.7-Liter EcoBoost V-6: 325 hp, 400 lb-ft
  • 3.5-Liter EcoBoost V-6: 375 hp, 470 lb-ft
  • High-Output 3.5-Liter EcoBoost V-6: 450 hp, 510 lb-ft
  • 3.0-Liter Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V-6: 250 hp, 440 lb-ft
  • 5.0-Liter Ti-VCT V-8: 395 hp, 400 lb-ft
  • 5.2-liter supercharged V-8 700 hp, 640 lb-ft
Uhhh yeah...the (more) aluminum F150 with a real tranny is quicker than any Bronco...so not really a fat pig. Even the Braptor is slower than the F150 Raptor 3.5TT.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don’t seem logical to get rid of the cheaper engine on the the lowest trim. Just from a competitive stand point it doesn’t make sense. Don’t over think it.
Just look at it from the stupid CAFE standards. (Despite my stock 2.3 getting notably worse MPG than the 2.7. lol)

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wow an extraordinary amount of people here care about what engine other people opted for. 2.3l is plenty for some people. For me it was never going to compete with my previous sports car but that's not what I bought it for.
We have a 2.3 and a 2.7 SAS. I drive the 2.3 more often.
The 2.3 feels good around town and has great torque below half throttle.
2.7 actually feels slower below half throttle, and faster with more throttle. It's great off road. The 2.3 does a great job, too. Faster than I ever imagined, but not as powerful or as smooth as the 2.7.

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just look at it from the stupid CAFE standards. (Despite my stock 2.3 getting notably worse MPG than the 2.7. lol)
The only way that is happening is if you have the manual. Auto has came a long way

Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like a lot of the guys that think the 2.3 is more that adequate also felt the need to install a performance tune. :unsure:
the 2.3 was great before the tune. Now it's basically the same performance as the stock 2.7, costs less than a 2.7 and has three pedals. Kinda no brainer

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the 2.3 was great before the tune. Now it's basically the same performance as the stock 2.7, costs less than a 2.7 and has three pedals. Kinda no brainer
Add a pedal commander and you will be blown away! I thought it was a gimmick but it’s not. My 2.3 manual with the FP tune and Pedal commander is pretty peppy even on 35s.

I would never buy an automatic Bronco. I don’t care if the engine is .4 liters bigger(huge Difference 😂) automatic is a non starter and a fun killer. save the manuals!

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Exactly

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looking for more power out of the 2.3 is a no brainer..........not going to argue with that.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking for more power out of the 2.3 is a no brainer..........not going to argue with that.
lol I guess no one is putting tunes on 2.7's
Sponsored