Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-Door Bronco Badlands w/ Sasquatch + Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@BigSkyBronco

I fabbed up the bracket to relocate the camera (removing the "RC" with a dremel tool). Made a separate top plate to "sandwich' the mount with the rear bracket.

The video feed from the new location works great. Did some beer math geometry and figured adjusting the look angle to 30° corrected for the change in height.

Also relocated the control box guts to a weatherproof project box under the hood.

20220731_202019.jpg
20220731_203934.jpg

Also fabbed up some brackets to snug in some 4" spots inside the OEM brush guard and coated the brightwork on the engagement lever and fairlead with a durable undercoating.

Screenshot_20231028_100752_Gallery.jpg

It was a little work to get it all sorted the way I wanted it, but I'm really happy with it.
I recognized that mountain right away - beautiful shot! Where exactly was this taken from?

And nice winch setup. I think I may do the same thing. The hidden winch looks like a bear to install, and many others protrude way too far forward for my liking (and garage geometry). I like that this is nice and snug to the bumper and doesn’t interfere with hardware too much besides the camera.
Sponsored

Mishra42

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got the RC Winch mount as well and did the same box relocation as @66GT .
Ford Bronco Winch setup For Modular HD Bumper? Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 12.32.28 PM

I was worried about losing approach angle but it's well tucked back. I haven't had to pull anything with it, but I'll probably add @Tricky Mike 's frame horn upgrades just in case.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I run the RC high-mount with a Badland Apex 12k (with the control box relocated under the hood).

Ford Bronco Winch setup For Modular HD Bumper? Climb at Hell's Revenge - 480

It mounts on top of the mod bumper... and is set back towards the grille to preserve the approach angle.

Fabbed up a bracket and faceplate to relocate the camera underneath the winch... works just fine with all the lux pkg stuff... including ACC and parking sensors.

Have no doubts about its strength... have used it to recover a Tacoma with 33s that was almost tire-deep in muck.

So far your install looks the best to me when using the factory mod bumper. I think this is the route I will be taking as I have the Badlands Apex as well.

I might just leave the camera be as seeing a little of the winch is not a big deal to me , but one question since I do like your camera solution as well . In the factory location up high in the grill you get a great view over the top of a crest as the camera is looking downward from higher up. In your position does the camera tend to point to the sky when cresting a hill or is it still looking "over " the hill ?

Great install.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far your install looks the best to me when using the factory mod bumper. I think this is the route I will be taking as I have the Badlands Apex as well.

I might just leave the camera be as seeing a little of the winch is not a big deal to me , but one question since I do like your camera solution as well . In the factory location up high in the grill you get a great view over the top of a crest as the camera is looking downward from higher up. In your position does the camera tend to point to the sky when cresting a hill or is it still looking "over " the hill ?

Great install.
Thanks. I've had no issues with the alignment of the camera since I relocated it. I used a broomstick to figure out the "aim point" from the stock location, which I think came to about 5.5 feet in front of the bumper. When I measured it for installation in the new position, I aimed it at the same distance.

You can't tell a difference from the factory location in practical use. The only distortion I tend to experience is that in the overhead 360° view, the edges of the front camera don't quite line up crisply with the sides.

As it turns out, in this location, the horizon line is in the middle of the screen and bottom edge of the screen is looking at the ground right beneath the bumper, so when I ran this setup at Moab, I had zero issues with 'seeing sky' when cresting a ridge. On fact, it was actually a huge help rock crawling because I could see obstacles all the way to the point where my bumper was passing over them.

With the control box on top, you can see it just stared into the back of it.

20220623_173117.jpg

I thought I could get a better view with the control box removed. At least it was some kind of view... just not a useful one.

20220621_201753.jpg
20220621_185046.jpg

Compared to this.
20220809_201503.jpg

20220809_201823.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-Door Bronco Badlands w/ Sasquatch + Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@66GT @Mishra42
For the control box relocation, the one that comes with the winch is too big. It looks like you bought a separate box and transferred? Which box and how did you mount that box? It look like it’s on top of the fuse box.

And then the power cables would be too short, so I assume you found longer ones to replace them?

Sponsored

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@66GT @Mishra42
For the control box relocation, the one that comes with the winch is too big. It looks like you bought a separate box and transferred? Which box and how did you mount that box? It look like it’s on top of the fuse box.

And then the power cables would be too short, so I assume you found longer ones to replace them?
Extension cables can be found from Warn, or really anywhere that sells the proper cable gauge for your specific winch.

And for the relocation, it's easiest to make your own bracket. I took 2 thin flat pieces of steel, a little bend and drilled some mounting holes. Finished it off with some matte black spray paint.

And I'm brutal at mechanic stuff. It takes me probably 5x longer than any normal human, and I still managed to get this done. When I say "If I can do it, anyone can" I truly mean it.

Ford Bronco Winch setup For Modular HD Bumper? PXL_20230331_212431378

Ford Bronco Winch setup For Modular HD Bumper? PXL_20230331_210256033
Ford Bronco Winch setup For Modular HD Bumper? PXL_20230331_210245185
Ford Bronco Winch setup For Modular HD Bumper? PXL_20230403_193418170
Ford Bronco Winch setup For Modular HD Bumper? PXL_20230403_195319654

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks. I've had no issues with the alignment of the camera since I relocated it. I used a broomstick to figure out the "aim point" from the stock location, which I think came to about 5.5 feet in front of the bumper. When I measured it for installation in the new position, I aimed it at the same distance.

You can't tell a difference from the factory location in practical use. The only distortion I tend to experience is that in the overhead 360° view, the edges of the front camera don't quite line up crisply with the sides.

As it turns out, in this location, the horizon line is in the middle of the screen and bottom edge of the screen is looking at the ground right beneath the bumper, so when I ran this setup at Moab, I had zero issues with 'seeing sky' when cresting a ridge. On fact, it was actually a huge help rock crawling because I could see obstacles all the way to the point where my bumper was passing over them.

With the control box on top, you can see it just stared into the back of it.

20220623_173117.jpg

I thought I could get a better view with the control box removed. At least it was some kind of view... just not a useful one.

20220621_201753.jpg
20220621_185046.jpg

Compared to this.
20220809_201503.jpg

20220809_201823.jpg

Apologies for the question but I want to be sure I understand. Is it safe to say the relocation isn’t necessary since you ultimately decided to relocate the camera below as the best solution?

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@66GT @Mishra42

yes... I just used a small project box and bought 3x 20' 4 gauge cables.
Apologies for the question but I want to be sure I understand. Is it safe to say the relocation isn’t necessary since you ultimately decided to relocate the camera below as the best solution?
Yes... but...

... that control box was sooo huge... and with it mounted on the winch... and along with the OEM brush guard, it blocked so much of the grille area that I'm glad I did it anyway. It was enough for me to worry I might have cooling issues.

This was before I relocated the camera.

20220702_165159.jpg

98infinity

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150, 20 Road King, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How are these Rough country winch mounts holding up? I want to get one but was worried about them rusting.

Missy

Wildtrak
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I run the RC high-mount with a Badland Apex 12k (with the control box relocated under the hood).

Ford Bronco Winch setup For Modular HD Bumper? 20220702_165159

It mounts on top of the mod bumper... and is set back towards the grille to preserve the approach angle.

Fabbed up a bracket and faceplate to relocate the camera underneath the winch... works just fine with all the lux pkg stuff... including ACC and parking sensors.

Have no doubts about its strength... have used it to recover a Tacoma with 33s that was almost tire-deep in muck.
What bull bar do you have? I want to buy one for my husband and I cannot find one that will fit over his winch. He has the Open Road 13k winch. The one you have looks like it will work, he also has the RC winch plate that his winch sits on.

Sponsored

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What bull bar do you have? I want to buy one for my husband and I cannot find one that will fit over his winch. He has the Open Road 13k winch. The one you have looks like it will work, he also has the RC winch plate that his winch sits on.
It is the original OEM brush guard made by Ford. There were two versions that Ford made. the original pre-production version was criticized because the top bar was so low that it covered the middle 4 letters of the word 'BRONCO' on the grille (some actually called it the 'B-O' grille because those were the only visible letters'.

The production version brush guard has the top bar high enough to read the grille letters underneath. The Apex 12k synthetic rope winch I use is actually quite wide, but it fits between the uprights of this brush guard without modification.

The brush guard comes off very easily (in a matter of just a few minutes) with just 8 very accessible bolts - using the tool kit that came with your Bronco. If you like the look of this one, I'd suggest seeing if someone local is willing to remove theirs and test fit it to your husband's rig to see if it clears the winch entirely. It's a very common accessory, so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone with one.

A 13k winch is going to be large, and just taking a look the dimensional specs probably isn't going to tell you much - especially since the uprights on the brushguard are angled (so there's no easy way to figure out at which point the width of the winch would be a problem).

Also, if it's really close, but doesn't quite fit, I would probably use a ball peen hammer to "persuade" it to fit (on your own part, not the loaner... lol). They look sturdy, but are actually of a much more lightweight aluminum construction than you'd expect.

Just my .02. Hope you find something that works for you.

Missy

Wildtrak
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It is the original OEM brush guard made by Ford. There were two versions that Ford made. the original pre-production version was criticized because the top bar was so low that it covered the middle 4 letters of the word 'BRONCO' on the grille (some actually called it the 'B-O' grille because those were the only visible letters'.

The production version brush guard has the top bar high enough to read the grille letters underneath. The Apex 12k synthetic rope winch I use is actually quite wide, but it fits between the uprights of this brush guard without modification.

The brush guard comes off very easily (in a matter of just a few minutes) with just 8 very accessible bolts - using the tool kit that came with your Bronco. If you like the look of this one, I'd suggest seeing if someone local is willing to remove theirs and test fit it to your husband's rig to see if it clears the winch entirely. It's a very common accessory, so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone with one.

A 13k winch is going to be large, and just taking a look the dimensional specs probably isn't going to tell you much - especially since the uprights on the brushguard are angled (so there's no easy way to figure out at which point the width of the winch would be a problem).

Also, if it's really close, but doesn't quite fit, I would probably use a ball peen hammer to "persuade" it to fit (on your own part, not the loaner... lol). They look sturdy, but are actually of a much more lightweight aluminum construction than you'd expect.

Just my .02. Hope you find something that works for you.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it! He is looking at getting a smaller winch, he bought that one because it was cheap, and our son just got a Tacoma, so we can give him the bigger winch. I need to price that bar, I did not even think of looking at OEM! RC makes the Safari bar, which does show a RC winch that fits. Now we have options!
Sponsored