Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, I took delivery and all is well. However, I'm noticing some issues when it comes to night driving, especially with tint.

With a combination on how the "A" pillar is arranged on the driver side, and the brightness of the large 12" screen, I think the visibility through the windows is tough -- especially at night. Now, being the guy I am, ran off to get the windows tinted almost immediately. On the outside they look great! Day driving has no issues. However, I feel like my visibility and screen reflection issues have multiplied.

Last night, even though it was raining/sleeting, it felt a little uncomfortable making 90-degree left and right-handed turns.

I'm just wondering what are my options here without going nuclear and ripping the tint off that I just paid for. Yes, turning down the screen brightness all the way seemed to help a tiny bit, but not a huge difference. Should I go back and ask for lighter tint? Or do those think it's not worth having it on at all considering what I described above? Safety first, eh?
If you tinted the Bronco for mostly aesthetic reasons or privacy unfortunately darker films usually look and work better but offer poor visibility especially at night. It's often misunderstood that the darker the film the more heat it rejects but that's not entirely true. Heat transmits through glass by light and infrared . High end quality ceramic films such as 3M Crystalline can block a high percentage of infrared heat and yet still let allot of light come through with high VLT films. In other words you can go with a lighter film without having it too dark and get better performance with overall high heat rejection . The drawback of this film, it's spendy $$.
Sponsored

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I run into the same problem with our current vehicles; front windows are tinted to match the rear, and for example in a crowded parking lot at night trying to located a parking spot with people walking around me, I had to put both windows down to feel like I wasn't going to run someone over. When making a 90 degree turn at night in my neighborhood I really have to pay attention for the same reason. I don't know that there is a good answer apart from occasionally putting the window down or really looking through the windshield prior to a sharp turn.

OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious as to what percentage tint you went with on the front. I never use anything darker than 30% on the front door windows to avoid that very issue.
Front windows are at legal max in my state, which is 25%.

OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I struggled with this at first when I moved to the SW. I did 20% for the first time because of the heat and night driving was a pain. 6 years later, I don't even notice the tint and driving is normal. I guess it's just up to if you're willing to give it time to get used to it. It might be a little harder in Seattle where it's cloudy/rain more often
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Out in the countryside is really tough. I think I'm getting used to it... I hope...

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, I took delivery and all is well. However, I'm noticing some issues when it comes to night driving, especially with tint.

With a combination on how the "A" pillar is arranged on the driver side, and the brightness of the large 12" screen, I think the visibility through the windows is tough -- especially at night. Now, being the guy I am, ran off to get the windows tinted almost immediately. On the outside they look great! Day driving has no issues. However, I feel like my visibility and screen reflection issues have multiplied.

Last night, even though it was raining/sleeting, it felt a little uncomfortable making 90-degree left and right-handed turns.

I'm just wondering what are my options here without going nuclear and ripping the tint off that I just paid for. Yes, turning down the screen brightness all the way seemed to help a tiny bit, but not a huge difference. Should I go back and ask for lighter tint? Or do those think it's not worth having it on at all considering what I described above? Safety first, eh?
I've always been anti tint, but both cars now have tint and are not that bad to drive at night. It all has to do with the % of tint.

Sponsored
OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed the 90 degree turn issues on mine in my dark neighborhood, the headlights donā€™t seem to be very wide beam. I donā€™t have any tint on my windows yet. I would recommend adding some Diode Dynamics SAE Fog lights in clear or amber. We have them on our Tacoma and they do a great job of lighting up around the corners.

Years back I did 18% tint on my side windows, 5% on the back, and 50% on my windshield. It was awesome in the AZ desert sun, but the first time I drive it after dark it was not so great. I ended up adding more light and it was fine. More recently I do 30% on the front windows and 18% on the back.
At least I'm not alone in my opinions! I have some Diode SS3 ditch lights waiting for me to install them once I have a free weekend. I think those would probably help my issues, but legally might cause more issues. That is, unless I have them on in the back country - which is where the issue is most prominent.

OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where the tinted front windows become a problem is a right or left turn at a light at night ,it would be real easy to run over a pedestrian or a small child if not really careful, I don't drive at night much and if in this situation I put front windows down be careful out there.
My concerns as well. I don't seem to have much of an issue if there is some street lighting in the area I'm driving in.

OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have dark tint on all my vehicles. On dark streets when I make a turn especially in my car that has the most visibility issues, i will roll the window down when I feel I canā€™t see enough. Most to make sure I can see pedestrians crossing. Still worth having the tint the other 95 percent of the time. Running lights in the bumper might help too.
Yeah, I have ditch lights waiting to be installed, next is to get some amber fog lights in the mod bumper.

OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™ve noticed same problem. I have same 30% tint in a few cars, but find it Iā€™d harder to see out at night in the bronco. And I was wondering if it had to do with the more upright angle of the windows? Idk ??
Probably has to do with the angle as well. Even before the tint I noticed a good amount of reflection of the interior cabin.

Sponsored
OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mention the brightness of the LCD infotainment... I'm guessing you've turned the brightness down to see if that helped? Controls are next to the headlights controls.
Yes, I've turned down the 12" screen to the lowest brightness setting possible via the screen and not the physical control you mentioned. I will take a look at the nob. It's better, but still an issue. And for some reason I can't seem to find a way to dim the gauge cluster screen...

OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I tinted the fronts windows on my old F150 to 20%. At first, it was weird, but you do get used to it. Iā€™d stick with it and see if that is the case with you as well.
Yeah, going to stick it out a little longer before I make any drastic decisions.

OP
OP
privateer35

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm guessing the brightness of the screen is more the problem than the tint. Bright light ruins night vision. I wonder if there's a red tinted screen protector or the like that could be removed and put on easily when you're out at night. That would help some.
Yeah, I suspect this too since there was reflection issues before the tint. The tint just seems to amplify it more. I'll look into your suggestion. Thanks!