Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr basemansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First chance I have had to take out my 2dr Basemansquatch. Really impressed with the "Out of the box" package. 2 days of pretty mild wheeling and right before dark on day two the tie rod let loose. I was actually shocked on how mild the terrain was when it did. I was locked up in the front at the time. I brought the Trickydicky trail kit and actually had to use it. Not real interested in adding a bunch of band aids to this weak ass rack. Probably skip the incrementall buildup/breakdown regiment and pick up a 74 Weld setup and be done. Dont go into the woods without a spare tie rod (or two) and the tools to swap. You have been warned!!!

Ford Bronco Windrock Broke my Bronco (Tie Rod)! IMG_5686

Ford Bronco Windrock Broke my Bronco (Tie Rod)! IMG_5680

Ford Bronco Windrock Broke my Bronco (Tie Rod)! 1000002509

Ford Bronco Windrock Broke my Bronco (Tie Rod)! 20230929_191929
Sponsored

Last edited:

MEAT_GOD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco 2dr, 15 Maserati Quattroporte
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Another day, another snapped tie rod. Good on you for taking the necessary precautions, though. Paid off well in the end.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You running any kind of lift or just straight stock SAS?

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If the terrain was so mild that you were "shocked," why were you locked up front? Front lockers scare me for this exact reason. I've only had to use the front lockers twice, and both times I disconnected it as soon as got through the obstacle.

Glad you had the Tricky kit to get you out! Quick question: can you see enough of the installed tie rod to try and pre-match the length of the spares to at least get the steering pretty close?

OP
OP

GTS104

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr basemansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If the terrain was so mild that you were "shocked," why were you locked up front? Front lockers scare me for this exact reason. I've only had to use the front lockers twice, and both times I disconnected it as soon as got through the obstacle.

Glad you had the Tricky kit to get you out! Quick question: can you see enough of the installed tie rod to try and pre-match the length of the spares to at least get the steering pretty close?
When I unscrewed the threads off the tie rod end I counted the rotations and re threaded the same amount. Good idea in theory but was still out pretty bad.
Since only one side broke you can do a "red neck" alignment by holding the steering wheel straight driving down the road and incrementally tow the broke side in a few turns then drive again to check and repeat to get it back straight(ish) still will need an alignment though when you get home.

Sorry need to qualify the shocked statement about being locked up when I broke. Here is my dedicated trail rig

Ford Bronco Windrock Broke my Bronco (Tie Rod)! FB_IMG_1696427008946

OP
OP

GTS104

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr basemansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You running any kind of lift or just straight stock SAS?
stock SAS. Just did rough country 1" level in the front.

Last edited:

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

First chance I have had to take out my 2dr Basemansquatch. Really impressed with the "Out of the box" package. 2 days of pretty mild wheeling and right before dark on day two the tie rod let loose. I was actually shocked on how mild the terrain was when it did. I was locked up in the front at the time. I brought the Trickydicky trail kit and actually had to use it. Not real interested in adding a bunch of band aids to this weak ass rack. Probably skip the incrementall buildup/breakdown regiment and pick up a 74 Weld setup and be done. Dont go into the woods without a spare tie rod (or two) and the tools to swap. You have been warned!!!

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

1000002509.jpg

20230929_191929.jpg
stock suspension, or lifted?
Edit: answered

Sponsored

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@GTS104 Glad you had the parts/skill to get you out! Are you happy with the DV8 A-arm protection?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

last time I was up there we had one in the group break and it wasnt locked but he was on a bigger lift and heavier tires. I avoid using locked front unless absolutely necessary.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

its great you have parts & skills to fix on trail
i went with bronco buster tie rod braces and havent had any issues gratefully

OP
OP

GTS104

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr basemansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@GTS104 Glad you had the parts/skill to get you out! Are you happy with the DV8 A-arm protection?
Absolutley. did the rear lower control arms with dv8 as well. I I was going to go with the rci and save some coin but the Dv8 have what seems to be added welds/material on the A arms and the shock bolts are hidden smooth.

side note the Icon diff skid (pic) works well with the rough country hidden winch setup and the icon is really stout.

20230908_173114.jpg

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Absolutley. did the rear lower control arms with dv8 as well. I I was going to go with the rci and save some coin but the Dv8 have what seems to be added welds/material on the A arms and the shock bolts are hidden smooth.

side note the Icon diff skid (pic) works well with the rough country hidden winch setup and the icon is really stout.

Ford Bronco Windrock Broke my Bronco (Tie Rod)! 20230908_173114
Been running that Icon diff skid for awhile now. Definitely gives extra protection. Unfortunately I smashed all their bolts (I hate button heads for skid plates) and had to change them out. The metal is also so tweaked it’s a process to remove and put back lol. Metal so bent up haha.

something I’ve realized after going through multiple skid plates is straight bolt heads are better. Everything else can’t be removed without being a pain when mushroomed. At least bolt heads can be snagged with vice grips still.
Sponsored