Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

something I’ve realized after going through multiple skid plates is straight bolt heads are better. Everything else can’t be removed without being a pain when mushroomed. At least bolt heads can be snagged with vice grips still.
Agreed, and if you're really in a bad way you could clean them up with a grinder or even a file. My stock 15mm bolts will be a 9/16 soon.
Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I unscrewed the threads off the tie rod end I counted the rotations and re threaded the same amount. Good idea in theory but was still out pretty bad.
Since only one side broke you can do a "red neck" alignment by holding the steering wheel straight driving down the road and incrementally tow the broke side in a few turns then drive again to check and repeat to get it back straight(ish) still will need an alignment though when you get home.
yeah. When ever I do anything the trial and error method it ends up mostly error.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"light wheeling" proceeds to show his bronco at the bottom of a pit of rocks lol glad you had a spare.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
First chance I have had to take out my 2dr Basemansquatch. Really impressed with the "Out of the box" package. 2 days of pretty mild wheeling and right before dark on day two the tie rod let loose. I was actually shocked on how mild the terrain was when it did. I was locked up in the front at the time. I brought the Trickydicky trail kit and actually had to use it. Not real interested in adding a bunch of band aids to this weak ass rack. Probably skip the incrementall buildup/breakdown regiment and pick up a 74 Weld setup and be done. Dont go into the woods without a spare tie rod (or two) and the tools to swap. You have been warned!!!

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

1000002509.jpg

20230929_191929.jpg
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

level3looper

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First chance I have had to take out my 2dr Basemansquatch. Really impressed with the "Out of the box" package. 2 days of pretty mild wheeling and right before dark on day two the tie rod let loose. I was actually shocked on how mild the terrain was when it did. I was locked up in the front at the time. I brought the Trickydicky trail kit and actually had to use it. Not real interested in adding a bunch of band aids to this weak ass rack. Probably skip the incrementall buildup/breakdown regiment and pick up a 74 Weld setup and be done. Dont go into the woods without a spare tie rod (or two) and the tools to swap. You have been warned!!!

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

1000002509.jpg

20230929_191929.jpg
I see that Tricky Dick is offering OEM or Aftermarket. Which did you go with? I'm beginning to think the Aftermarket can't be worse than this OEM product.

Red Squatch

Heritage
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra convertible
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
The Ford bot is confused again

Triathlonfun

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How long did it take to do the repair? I have the same kit for this situation but am curious how long it will take to make the swap.

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How long did it take to do the repair? I have the same kit for this situation but am curious how long it will take to make the swap.
I would recommend learning how to change your tie rod before you go out on the trails. Takes maybe 30 min. You could watch an aftermarket tie rod install video to learn.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EvanPeterson

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base

IT’S A TRAP!!! 😂😂😂

We got our Icon tie rods just before we went to Windrock, they held up way better than my driver mirror and taillight 😂😂😂

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Windrock standards it is.
Went yesterday. Did 2,4,19,5,7, and 42 or 43 out to the state park. Only got the service ABS, Service Advancetrac, drives modes not available, and not able to shift out of 4L once after dropping off a 2ft drop. :)

Midnight_Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just did rough country 1" level in the front.
So many reasons this happened.

And yet we have another thread about tie rods with little mention of the actual cause.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry need to qualify the shocked statement about being locked up when I broke. Here is my dedicated trail rig

Ford Bronco Windrock Broke my Bronco (Tie Rod)! 1696538735034
That's one heck of a Bronco. ;)
Sponsored